Tyohoon Transom Trim

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom

Tyohoon Transom Trim

Post by Tom »

On my '78 TY weekender it appears at some point there was a small piece of wood trim running horizontally across the top of the transom on the outside. I can see what appears to be the outline of screw holes across the top of the transom. Does anyone have a closeup pic they could post or offer advice on replacement. Thanks . Tom
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Ty transom

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

You may be able to see it in one of these photos http://www.geocities.com/Regalo82
Jerry S.

Transom Trim pictures

Post by Jerry S. »

These are from my hull #56 Typhoon. As the pictures show, the trim needs work. I will be repairing this soon; let me know if this is what you are looking for and if you would like dimensions.

Jerry S.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/J ... im0003.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/J ... im0002.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/J ... im0001.jpg
Jerry S
Tom

Ty Transom Trim

Post by Tom »

Mike, thanks very much for the pictures. Could you describe the profile of the trim and approximate measurements? tom
Tom

Ty Transom Trim

Post by Tom »

James S, thanks for the pictures but this is not what I'm asking about. Looking at your photo #3, is there a piece of trim mounted on the outside vertical surface of the transom, running horizontally the width of the transom ,that butts up to the piece in photo #3? If not, do you see any evidence (small screw holes) of a piece ever being there? On my boat there is approximately 10 or 12 what appears to be screw holes just under the trim shown in photo #3, but on the vertical surface, that have been filled in. It appears that such a piece is necessary to conceal the horizontal(deck) and vertical(transom) joint. Thanks for your help. Tom
Steve Laume

Ty trim

Post by Steve Laume »

Tom, what you are missing is a piece of 1/2" aluminium trim that covers the seam between wood and glass on the transom. It is originally aluminium on all the Tys I have seen but if you are replacing it I would definitly go with bronze/brass. You can order it from Jamestown distributors in RI. You willl need to put a slight bend in it to match the stern then bed it in and screw it fast. Easier than you thought. You don't even have to stress over what kind of finish to put on it and there is no maintainance. Hope this helps, Steve.
Tom

Ty Transom Trim

Post by Tom »

Steve, thanks very much, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I just didn't know if the piece was wood or metal. I will contact your source Have a great day. Tom
Jerry S.

Aluminum Trim request for Photo

Post by Jerry S. »

I don't believe I have the trim that you are talking about, but I would like to see a picture - now I am wondering if I need this as well. I just removed the teak trim that crosses the entire back of the transom. Are you saying that this aluminum is a piece of angle that protects the transom seam?

Jerry S.
Jerry S
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Typhoon transom trim

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jerry S

The early models of the Ty, which includes your #56, didn't have any aluminum, brass or bronze taff molding. As shown in your pictures, they originally came with a flat piece of teak trim across the aft edge of the deck where it meets the transom.

The piece of teak is curved and it was bandsawn from a single piece of stock, not steam bent. This process makes for many short sections of longitudinal grain which , in time will crack, as shown in your starb'd photo.

To restore to original specs, a new piece of teak is in order. Yes, there are other ways to treat this, but they won't restore the older model Ty to it's original condition.

Good luck, have fun. Keep us informed.

O J
Jerry S.

Typhoon transom trim

Post by Jerry S. »

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I removed the trim about an hour ago, and I will be buying a new piece from my friend that I told you about. I am going to post some progress photos soon. We are engoying this project immensely!

Jerry.
Jerry S
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Typhoon Transom trim

Post by Oswego John »

Hi again Jerry,

Just want to give you a heads up on taking good care of the outboard mounting bracket that is permanently fastened to your aft deck. This bracket is shown in your pictures #1,2 and 3.

The bracket is original standard equipment furnished by Cape Dory. It is rather hard to come by another one if it should become lost. I have heard of instances where they were stolen from boats.

I refastened my bracket with carriage bolts to hinder theft. So far, so good.

Hang in there.

O J
Jamie

Typhoon transom trim

Post by Jamie »

On my Ty, I was missing a piece of the 1/2" aluminum trim at the top of the transom. I fabricated a piece out of teak, about 3/4" wide by 3/16", with parallel beveled edges to fit under the taffrail, when bent in both directions to fit the top of the stern. I steamed it and fastened with brass screws about every 4". It looks great; I believe better than the aluminum trim.
Tom

Ty Transom Trim

Post by Tom »

Hi Jamie,
Would like to contact you via email or phone. Tom