New Typhoon Owner looking for advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve

New Typhoon Owner looking for advice

Post by Steve »

Hello Group,

I just bought a Cape Dory Typhoon, and am looking forward to sailinger her this summer with my family out on Boston Harbor.

The boat did not come with an outboard, and plan on buying one to get on and off the mooring.

I'd like to start fresh with a new outboard, but don't want to spend big money. I've seen these new Honda 4 stroke, air cooled 2 horse power motors for about $850. I'd love some thing quiet, reliable and low maitenance like that. The question I have, is 2 HP enough to move the boat?

I also have to get a mooring. What size mushroom would you folks advise?

Lastly, any random words of wisdom or other advice you might care to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

s
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: New Typhoon Owner looking for advice

Post by Neil Gordon »

Where on Boston Harbor will you be? We sail from Marina Bay.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve

Sailing

Post by Steve »

Hello Neil,

We live and and sail from Winthrop -- the Cottage Park Yacht Club.

s
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Sailing

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve wrote:Hello Neil,

We live and and sail from Winthrop -- the Cottage Park Yacht Club.

s
Watch for LIQUIDITY around Deer Island light,the Narrows and the harbor islands.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Search

Post by Steve Laume »

If you do a search of this board on Ty motors there has been lots of discusion on motor size. In a very short time you may find that you do not even use the motor on or especialy off of the mooring. We found that we only ran the thing a few times a year to motor into tight spots or get home when the wind completely died if we didn't feel like waiting for it to come back. I personaly think the 2HP Honda is a very good match for the boat, Another Steve.
Jamie

Typhoon motor

Post by Jamie »

I use a 55-lb-thrust electric motor on my Typhoon. It is completely quiet, and cost $220, new. I have not taken any long voyages yet, so any motoring I've done has been very near my rented slip. Hope this gives you some additional insight. Jamie
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Here's a bit of advice:
Beware of marina/chandlery employees who call you "Captain." :D

Seriously, there have been hundreds (thousands??) of Typhoon related posts on this website. Try using the archive function.

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (Queen City of the Land of Pleasant Living), MD
Appleton68

Typhoon

Post by Appleton68 »

I use a 150 lb mushroom in mud just South of Boston; works fine.

There is a place in Wakefield, might be called Wakefield Motors but I'm not sure, that sells Tohatsu @ a good price. I bought one there for my boat a 3.5 long shaft and it was the best price around.

Good luck & have fun.
Greg
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Steve,

Welcome to the cultish Cape Dory group. I do have a bit of Typhoon advice. When you get her rigged and ready, do check the cabin top under the mast and if you have no compression post in the cabin make sure to monitor any sag in the cabin. You may notice your shrouds getting loose after a while, that is the sign.

To fix, stick a basement jack in the cabin under the mast or rig a nice post if you want. But keep your eye on it. Whatever you do I suggest not tightening the shrouds as that will just press the mast into the cabin.

Enjoy your Ty. It is one of the most fun and simple joys in life I reckon. Not that the 33 ain't so bad of course.

Paul Danicic
CD 33 Femme du Nord
Mpls MN, snowing tonight...
Vodnik

I have a Ty at Cottage Park too !!!

Post by Vodnik »

Hey, this will be fun... and there is another one there - we can have races !
I have a five hp four stroke and it provides plenty of power - and I'd like no less.. I may be a tad on the conservative side, but if you have to push against a current with no wind, you'll wish you had more than two hp -- at least that's what I think. And I've felt the power of an outgoing tide near the mouth of the harbor - it's nothing to sniff at.. If I were you, I'd look for a slightly used 5 (4stroke) -- they are pretty quiet, and although it might cost you a tad more, it might be worth it. For what it's worth, I really don't use the engine much at all -- it's good practice to sail on and off the mooring, and there's almost always wind. I look forward to meeting you !
tom

Re: Typhoon motor

Post by tom »

[ How well does the electric motor perform? How does the 55 pound thrust relate to HP? How long can you stay out using only the motor? quote="Jamie"]I use a 55-lb-thrust electric motor on my Typhoon. It is completely quiet, and cost $220, new. I have not taken any long voyages yet, so any motoring I've done has been very near my rented slip. Hope this gives you some additional insight. Jamie[/quote]
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

out boards for boston

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi. :)
well i have not been up there sense last year, but i would look for a used out board two or three or four hp (cost around $150 to $300 look around there is allot of them).
trolling motor using one amp per one pound of thrust, there for a 55 pound thrust will drain a battery in three hours time, you have to charged the battery ever other day.
where an out board with a 3/4 of a gallon of gas will last three hours at half speed.
you have allot of people up there that sail that area, that will help you with any thing.
i talk to allot of people up there in that area from ct and north and they love the sailing.
have fun with it.
winthrop