Bottom Paint Removal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

Bottom Paint Removal

Post by Brett I. Miller »

I tried to search the archives for discussion of the pros and cons of sandblasting to remove bottom paint in preparation for a new barrier coat etc. The search function seemed to work, but I couldn't get at any of the content of the messages.

So at the risk of going over old ground, could somebody shed some light on the pros and cons of sandblasting (or, alternatively, give me some guidance on how to penetrate the archive). My boat has got quite a build up of old paint that I'd like to get off, as it's starting to check. In addition, the prior owner of my boat used VC Tar as barrier coat many moons ago, and it's starting to fail. The gelcoat is fine, I've got no blisters, and the hull is otherwise dry.

Any suggestions and warnings would be much appreciated.

Best,

Brett

CD36, Sublimation (No. 74)
Deale, Md
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Sandblasting bottom

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I used "Search" and it worked just fine. Try one of the following links, they are the search results to "sandblast AND bottom". Hopefully one of them will help you. When you click on the links in the list below, the topic will open in a separate window. When you're finished reading the topic, just close that wind to get rid of it.

<li> stains on deck </li>
<li>Bottom Paint Adhesion</li>
<li>Bottom Paint Removal</li>
<li>Question about epoxy barrier coat for John R.</li>
<li>Weather on Lake Superior/Southern California</li>
<li>Stripping Bottom Paint</li>
<li>Preparing Bottom for Paint</li>
<li>CD36 Blisters</li>
<li>Stripping Off Old Bottom Paint</li>
<li>Cape Dory 33</li>

Brett, when you do a search the results will appear in a table with several columns: Forum, Topics, Author, Replies, View, and Last Post.

The Forum colum lists which forum the message appears in. We currently have three forums: Main Forum, About this Board, and Sandbox.

The Topic colum lists the names/description of the Topics. A Topic is the first posted item in a threaded discussion and that's what you want to click on. As a matter of fact, the items that I have listed above (the links from the search results) are the names of the topics that were listed in the search results. Don't click on the names of the forums unless you want to go to the first page of the forum.

So go ahead and try "Search" again. Duplicate my search by typing "sandblast AND bottom" (without the quotation marks) in the "Search for Keywords:" field then click on the Search button. Note the different columns, then click on the name of one of the topics in the topics column. Use your browser's Back button to get back to the search results.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

Searching

Cathy,

Thanks for the response. For some reason I got a "page not available" screen when I tried last night. It's working for me today.

Best,

Brett
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Bottom Paint

Post by David Sabourin »

Brett,
If you decide to go with sanding, I just bought an orbital sander/vacuum combo. I'm doing the Hatters bottom this spring too. So before you buy or rent, let me know.

David
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Paint Removal done hard way

Post by DanaVin »

When we redid GE, I used a real goopy can of stuff that we brushed on and covered with sheet plastic. It's a remover we picked up at BoatUS in their sale rack. 5 gallon can and I believe we used two of them. After awhile, this stuff softened up the paint so all I had to do was scrape it off. Messy? Yes! Hard work! Not too bad for a 62 year old! Back breaking? At times, as you had to get into some difficult positions to scrape away at the hull. Finally, we got her down to the barrier coat and started sanding her. Would I do it again? Yes, I felt it was much better than sandblasting her bottom to pieces.
Website below shows some photos during the process.
Good luck!
Thanks
Dana
Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

David/Dana,

Thanks for the comments. I actually saw a boat in the process of being sandblasted yesterday, and it didn't sit too well with me. The result was a very uneven, deeply pitted surface. I think it depends a lot on who does it, but it's left me with the impression that sanding or some chemical solution may be the answer (at least for me).

David, thanks for the offer on the sander. I'm currently undergoing the trauma of the repower, so I may wait a season before dealing with the bottom -- especially if I'm going to do it myself. I'll look for you in the HHN yard in the coming weeks as the days get longer and warmer!

Best,

Brett
Jay Kanavos

Peel Away

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Brett,

As was suggested the "goop" stripper is called "Peel Away."

[img]http://www.dumondchemicals.com/image/pa ... tripII.gif[/img]

I tried to use it and followed the instructions on the can. As instructed, I waited for 24 hrs before removing it. Not only was it messy, but I had so much bottom paint on it that 24 hrs wasn't long enough to wait. It turns out that after speaking with the manufacturer, they suggested if it doesn't work well at 24 hrs then double the time.

Since I didn't want to do the "trial and error thing," I just hand sanded her down with an orbital sander and also a scrapper. I'm sure it caused me more back breaking labor, but I just didn't want to use the chemicals of Peel Away more then I had to and then have to deal with more cutting and pasting of the paper and cleaning up the goo off of my clothes, shoes, and the plastic that I spread under the boat. Additionally, the boat yard wasn't thrilled that I was using the stuff.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Dalton

Bottom Paint removal

Post by Dalton »

I've tried them all and there's always a gotcha. Paint remover is a horrible mess, It drip all over you and the ground, sand blasting is complex and catching everything is tough. Strip away didn't do it for me, I believe because there was just too much for it to penetrate. I have decided that for me a 1 inch wood chisel and a wall paper type scraper work best. If it comes clean with the wall paper scraper, it's great, and when that doesn't work I go to the chisel, very carefully. I found that it's slow but very clean, because you can catch they dry chips on a drop cloth or plastic for easier disposal. I keep a good clean file on hand and keep the chisel very sharp. A couple hours at a time and you only have to go around once. I get it down to where I can just see white and then a random orbital with 80 grit to finish. Some of the wharf rats that work in my yard use the same technique.

GD
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

How about a tool that was designed for the job?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

A few of the folks that have removed their boats' bottoms for barrier coating down at the boat yard where I keep my boat swear by this tool:

[img]http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/166157_f.jpg[/img]
Image from West Marine

Three years ago Ernie and his wife Cindy spent days, nay weeks, trying to get all of the bottom paint off of their Hunter 32. Their boat was right next to ours during layup. I think they tried every paint-eating product known to man including both Peel-Away and Marine Safety Strip. We kinda felt sorry for them watching them work so hard and getting nowhere. We were also glad it was them and not us but knew that it would be someday. Anyway, when they finally switched to a scraper they remarked that they should have just used it from the beginning.

Two years ago Alex was going through the same routine with his 37-footer, which was parked 4 boats away from us, when I mentioned Ernie and Cindy's ordeal to him. He talked with Ernie then Alex was scraping.

At the same time Alex was scraping, three fellows were scraping the bottom of the boat that sat right across from ours. They had all given up on the strippers though it must work from some people. You may be able to rent those scrapers so if you can get 3 or 4 people together you may be able to make relatively short work of it.

Good luck.
Steve Laume

Rent scrapers?

Post by Steve Laume »

If I could find 3 or 4 people willing to scrape the bottom of my boat I think I could afford to buy the scrapers and the beer, Steve.
Steve Laume

Free scrapers!!

Post by Steve Laume »

For anyone willing to come to CT and help scrape my boat I will buy the beer and you can keep your scraper when you are through :D Steve.
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Soda blasting

Post by RMeigel »

Brett,

Have you checked with Osprey Marine on getting the bottom soda-blasted? They are right in Herrington Harbour North - that is where I had the bottom paint taken off my boat. Soda blasting is much better for the boat. Pricey, yes, but worth it in my experience.

For those Cape Dory owners further south, the Yankee Point Marina newsletter (Corrotoman River - west branch; off the Rapahannock River) has advertised that they have this capability now.

Robin
Cathy Monaghan

Re: Searching

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Brett,
Brett I. Miller wrote:Cathy,

Thanks for the response. For some reason I got a "page not available" screen when I tried last night. It's working for me today.

Best,

Brett
When that happens, just click on your browser's Refresh or Reload button. You may have to do it a couple of times, but your browser should load it.

Cathy
Cathy Monaghan

Re: Free scrapers!!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Steve Laume wrote:If I could find 3 or 4 people willing to scrape the bottom of my boat I think I could afford to buy the scrapers and the beer, Steve.
Steve Laume wrote:For anyone willing to come to CT and help scrape my boat I will buy the beer and you can keep your scraper when you are through :D Steve.
And don't forget to invite them out for a daysail or two.

Cathy
Brett I. Miller
West River, MD

Robin,

I have talked to the guys at Osprey. They do nice work, but you are right about the cost -- very pricey. I'm going to look into the soda blast option before I grab the scraper.

Thx.

Brett