Advice for a winch upgrade

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vern Campbell

Advice for a winch upgrade

Post by Vern Campbell »

I plan to upgrade the winches to self-tailers on my 1975 CD25. It presently has the standard Barlows. I would appreciate input from anyone who has done this to their 25 as to what winch they selected and any modifications to the mounts they had to make. Thanks.
Vern
Pierre Gremaud
Location: CD 25 #146, Pin-Up and Sabre 36, Grayce, Belhaven, NC

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Vern,

I went with Andersen #10 winches. They fit nicely on the stands, do the job and look good.

Those are not self-tailing but then again they dont cost >> $500 either and a little excitement here and there can be healthy.

Pierre
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I replaced Seraph's winches with Andersen 12ST. They should fit on your 25 with no problem. They are about as simple and rugged a winch as there is. One of the best things I ever did. Also get a 10" handle if you only have 8". The increase in leverage is amassing. In anything below 15kts I can bring the 130 all the way in with one hand.

randy 25D Seraph #161
brian

You could safe yourself a heap of $$ and add

Post by brian »

a set of winchers

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/S ... ?E+scstore

go buy a nice new headsail instead.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I used a set of winchers for over 10 years. Compared to a self tailing winch they are pure junk. If you single hand a self tailing winch makes life so much easier and safer. No more holding the tiller between your legs while you crank with one hand and tail with the other. Simply throw two turns around the winch, over the stripper and into the jaws. Now steer or drink beer with one hand and crank in the genny with the other. This isn't the place to try and "get by". It's the piece of gear that allows you to control your wind machine. I'd be more interested in getting the best available rather than the cheapest. Of course if you don't have $1000 to spend on winches that could be a problem. Think what the same winch for a 40 footer costs!

randy 25D Seraph #161
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

Randy, I agree with you about the winchers. I saw a set in action on a 25 last summer and was not impressed. The smallest ones didn't even fit well according to the owner. The ease and convenience of the self tailing winch when I single hand is what I am looking for. Plus, the only thing worse than setting down your beer is spilling some Bombay Sapphire. I'll check into the 12ST's.
Vern
Jean Keevil

Winchers

Post by Jean Keevil »

Tom and I are not single-handed sailors, and upper body strength is no longer (nor was it ever!) my "forte." So, adding winchers to our Lewmar 40s on our CD 33 was extremely helpful to ME, when I was in charge of the headsail lines. (Tom no longer had to "tail" for me while I ground away at the winch.) One has to hold the tail for the wincher forward, rather than aft, which I can see would not be helpful for single-handed sailing. As Tom noted earlier, Santa gave each of us a new Lewmar self-tailing winch, so maybe we'll join the ranks of those who can be dismissive of winchers! Until we get a chance to try them, I will remain grateful for the help of those blue rubber eyesores!
rtbates

for Jean

Post by rtbates »

Glad to hear that the winchers work for you.
Jean you wrote:"Tom and I are not single-handed sailors,". In all due respect, ALL couples, and for that matter any two people who sail together, are "single handers" just waiting for the accident that makes it "official". You know what I mean? Best advice I can give is to try and not be too dependant on having the other pair of hands. One day when you really need them they'll be below deck sick or injured.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

winch upgrade

Post by greg phillips »

Vern, I installed Andersen 12STs on my CD25 last year. If your winch stands are the same as mine you will have to do some modifications. I can happily recommend them even with the extra work involved. The only other choice I would make would be a bronze winch body and a smaller base. I'm not not that exists. If you get the Andersens and need some advice let me know.
Also, there is a guy in Nova Scotia who has great prices on the Andersens. I might be able to find his phone number.

Greg Phillips 2mileyc@gtcom.net
CD25 #469 Linda Lou
Brooklin, Maine
Dick Barthel

Good price

Post by Dick Barthel »

Based on earlier threads and Randy's advice, I'm waiting to purchase my Andersen STs at Defenders when they have their annual big preseason sale in March. From the limited shopping I've done I think it will be hard to beat their price.

Dick
bottomscraper

Rigging Only has Anderson on sale now thru 2/11

Post by bottomscraper »

Rigging Only has Anderson winches on sale now thru 2/11/05. If you go to the Rigging Only home page and click on the link for the "Chicago Boat Show Special". For example the #12ST is $320.76.

<a href="http://www.riggingonly.com/"> Rigging Only Page </a>

Rich
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

Thank you all for your thoughts and help. Rich, that price through Rigging Only certainly seems like a good one and is less than I anticipated.
Greg, if I go with the Andersens (which seem like the way to go), I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss your modifications with you. I see you are from Brooklin--do you keep Linda Lou at Benjamin River or Center Harbor? I am in Sullivan and sail out of Flanders Bay. My sister lives on Little Deer Isle and it's hard to beat a summer sail up the Reach to visit her.
Vern
Tom Keevil

for Randy

Post by Tom Keevil »

Thanks, Randy, for your reminder. It's a fact of sailing that we try not to obsess about, but which we try to consider in our activities and choices (additions to the boat, where and when we sail, when to use the Jack lines instead of the life vests alone, etc.) I took a sailing course for women up in Canada about a year ago, and this subject was discussed frequently as we learned about various aspects of sailing. Some friends made their first ocean cruise (Coos Bay to Brookings, around Cape Blanco,) and he, the experienced sailor, became very ill (seasick, dehydrated, arrhythmias) and she, the novice, managed, with voice guidance from the Coast Guard, to sail it safely into the harbor. It was a sobering event.

Jean (safely inland at the moment, in Ashland, Oregon, hoping to never be a single-handed sailor, but hoping to rise to the occasion if it occurs...)
rtbates

for Tom & Jean

Post by rtbates »

You're welcome. Every now and then when my wife and I are sailing I will toss a seat cushion overboard. The first couple of times I had to tell her that the overboard cushion represents me just falling overboard. It's now 100% her responsibility to go and retreive that cushion. First few times I had to lend a few words of advice. Now I toss the cushion and she knows right away what it means and I don't say a thing. As things stand on Seraph right now there is no system in place that will allow Bev to haul me aboard if I can't do it myself. We need one.
One other thing for "couples" who sail together: Think and use a harness EXACTLY as if you were all by yourself. In other words, always assume that if you fall overboard there will be NO rescue.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
isaac

harken

Post by isaac »

I replaced my cd25 with harken bronze self tailing winches. I added a piece of teak between the coming and the winch for more support. Very happy with it