Interesting Boats

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wikakaru

Re: Interesting Boats

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote: I have been told by an experienced local sailing instructor that if I adversities my business local to this area my phone won’t stop ringing. I have not done anything yet as as I remain focused on preparing my own boat ready for sailing.
Whoever told you that was absolutely correct. When I ran a sailing charter business I advertised my phone number online on my own web page and in various Yellow Pages type directories. I got all kinds of phone calls. In addition to legitimate calls from customers, I got lots of semi-legitimate calls from people trying to sell me stuff (for example, promo give-away items like pens with my business name on them), plus all the bogus scammers and robocallers. You have to answer every call because you never know whether a call is a legitimate customer or a bogus caller. I put up with it when I ran the business, but when I closed the business I had to change my phone number because the calls wouldn't stop.

The same thing will happen if you advertise an email address online--spam, spam, spam, spam... It's why you never want to post your email address in a forum like this and should always use the private message option to pass that kind of information along.

Nowadays, since I'm not in business, I have an app on my cellphone that only lets the phone ring if the caller is in my contact list. Every other call goes directly to voicemail. My phone is blissfully quiet and only rings when it is someone I actually want to talk to. Just like the good old days when we had phones mounted on the wall in our houses.

It's something to consider.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Well, here's one I've never seen anything like. Maybe a converted lifeboat? You don't see riding sails very often anymore.
IMG_0684a.JPG
IMG_0684a.JPG (346.23 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote: I have been told by an experienced local sailing instructor that if I adversities my business local to this area my phone won’t stop ringing. I have not done anything yet as as I remain focused on preparing my own boat ready for sailing.
Whoever told you that was absolutely correct. When I ran a sailing charter business I advertised my phone number online on my own web page and in various Yellow Pages type directories. I got all kinds of phone calls. In addition to legitimate calls from customers, I got lots of semi-legitimate calls from people trying to sell me stuff (for example, promo give-away items like pens with my business name on them), plus all the bogus scammers and robocallers. You have to answer every call because you never know whether a call is a legitimate customer or a bogus caller. I put up with it when I ran the business, but when I closed the business I had to change my phone number because the calls wouldn't stop.

The same thing will happen if you advertise an email address online--spam, spam, spam, spam... It's why you never want to post your email address in a forum like this and should always use the private message option to pass that kind of information along.

Nowadays, since I'm not in business, I have an app on my cellphone that only lets the phone ring if the caller is in my contact list. Every other call goes directly to voicemail. My phone is blissfully quiet and only rings when it is someone I actually want to talk to. Just like the good old days when we had phones mounted on the wall in our houses.

It's something to consider.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Those are interesting and useful insights. Thanks much.

Very neat boat. There is a similar boat being restored in our boatyard. I suspect they are pretty tough boats. Very salty. I wonder how they ride and handle.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here's one from our sail yesterday. A Morris Yachts 32, designed by Chuck Paine, sailing along the fog-shrouded islands of Fox Islands Thorofare, Maine. I didn't get close enough to see her name, but old PHRF listings of the sail number show the boat used to be called "Fox". There are several reviews of the boat online if you are interested in the design.
https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-reviews/ ... oat-review
https://www.boats.com/reviews/perry-des ... morris-32/
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/morris-32

Smooth sailing,

Jim
IMG_0873a.JPG
IMG_0873a.JPG (98.82 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The 164-foot Hakvoort-built motor yacht My Lady, seen in West Penobscot Bay, Maine on July 23. 6,000 nautical mile range at 12 knots. If you don't recognize the flag at her stern, that's Marshall Islands. I don't know who the owner is, but he sure likes his satellite dishes--all 6 of them.
DSC_0159.JPG
DSC_0159.JPG (228.69 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

This one is definitely interesting...The Far Harbour 39 InBox. Designed to fit in a 40-foot shipping container and be put on a ship to anywhere you want to cruise. With my apologies to the owner, she certainly isn't the prettiest boat in the harbor, but if you don't like long ocean passages, yet still want to cruise far-flung places for much longer periods than is affordable to charter, this would be the boat to get. Spotted in Rockland, Maine on July 23 and 24.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
DSC_0913.JPG
DSC_0913.JPG (279.26 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
DSC_0915.JPG
DSC_0915.JPG (382.32 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Now here's something completely different from the boat-in-a-box: The Bristol Channel Cutter. Lyle Hess designed (like the Pardey's boats), built by Sam Morse. Pretty gaff-rigged boats. Seen in Rockland, Maine July 23/24.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
DSC_0842a.JPG
DSC_0842a.JPG (344.44 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
DSC_0926.JPG
DSC_0926.JPG (372.11 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

When I went for a sail yesterday morning, this was in the cove:
DSC_1947a.jpg
DSC_1947a.jpg (232.05 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
The 154-foot motoryacht Rhino. (https://www.superyachtfan.com/yacht/rhino/) Her tender is bigger than my boat! The owner is listed as "Roy Carroll", who I presume is the Northern Irish footballer (translation: "soccer player").

Then there was this lovely Concordia yawl Renaissance:
DSC_1957a.jpg
DSC_1957a.jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
https://www.woodenboat.com/register-woo ... aissance-0

And finally, as I was walking back to the car, the schooner Victory Chimes motored past, her full sailplan hanging limp in the calm air:
DSC_2024a.jpg
DSC_2024a.jpg (179.9 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Those are some lovely photos. Neat boats. Got to love that Concordia. And is that your fineship in the foreground of the last photo?
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Those are some lovely photos. Neat boats. Got to love that Concordia. And is that your fineship in the foreground of the last photo?
Thanks!

Yup, that's the lovely Arietta in the foreground.

--Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

As Monty Python used to say..."And now for something COMPLETELY different"...

Here is the junk-rigged sailing barge Great Auk, spotted on her way from Deer Isle Thorofare to Winter Harbor in East Penobscot Bay, Maine. She has a blog here: https://sailingauklet.com/
DSC_2028a.JPG
DSC_2028a.JPG (146.13 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
DSC_2032a.JPG
DSC_2032a.JPG (179.6 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
DSC_2040a.JPG
DSC_2040a.JPG (187.14 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
If you are looking for an interesting boat, as the title of this thread suggests, this is about as interesting as it gets.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here's a pair of classic beauties from our sail yesterday.

The Concordia Yawl Matinicus:
DSC_2074a.JPG
DSC_2074a.JPG (125.3 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
And the schooner Lewis R French, whom we haven't seen out sailing since September 2018:
DSC_2203a.JPG
DSC_2203a.JPG (130.13 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
It's nice to see the schooners finally coming out of their COVID-induced hibernation.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I have sailed for years at a time without having seen a junk-rigged sailboat, and in the last week I've seen TWO of them. I posted photos of the junk-rigged sailing barge Great Auk above. Well here is a junk-rigged yawl named Alert, spotted yesterday entering Fox Islands Thorofare from a very foggy East Penobscot Bay, Maine. I haven't been able to find anything out about her, probably because the word "Alert" is so pervasive on the internet even when coupled with the term "junk-rigged yawl", which has to be a whole lot less common.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
DSC_2298a.JPG
DSC_2298a.JPG (151.04 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
DSC_2339a.JPG
DSC_2339a.JPG (116.82 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

That's an interesting conversion to junk rig. Don't see many of those. I read three or four books by Roger Taylor describing his singlehanded voyages aboard his junk rigged Coribee. Fantastic really...up above the Arctic Circle. I always thought Blondie Hassler's junk rigged Folkboat Jester was very neat. Not fast though.

This boat came into the anchorage the other day. I watched her come in bow towards me for a long while. Looking through the binos she looked Long,
low, and sexy. Huge tumblehome. When I first saw her so thought maybe she was a Swan.

Then she turned in profile. Not a Swan.

A little later I rowed over and chatted with the owner. A very affable skipper. He explained it's a Catalina 38. The hull was designed by Sparkman and Stephens for the Yankee 38. S&S based the hull on a successful IOR one toner in 1972. Only 30 of the Yankee 38s were built any by all accounts they are highly regarded for sailing performance. Yankee soon went out of business. Frank Butler of Catalina Yachts bought the hull mold and made changes to the rudder, rig, and cabin top (not an attractive cabin top to my eye). Catalina made over 360 of these. Wow! But that cabin top....
Attachments
Looked like a Swan coming into the anchorage.
Looked like a Swan coming into the anchorage.
776871BE-116D-4744-8F1C-F2318A2E26E2.jpeg (252.35 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Not a Swan....
Not a Swan....
04B33D66-14B3-4213-A67D-C5A800BA92AC.jpeg (257.18 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

John Stone wrote:He explained it's a Catalina 38. The hull was designed by Sparkman and Stephens for the Yankee 38. ... Wow! But that cabin top....
Yeah, from the rail up it sure does have that Catalina look, doesn't it? The Yankee 38 is a whole different beast up top: https://goodoldboat.com/advert/sparkman ... yachts-38/