Interesting Boats

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: bobdugan

Paul D.

Re: Interesting Boats

Post by Paul D. »

Here's my buddy's Hunter 380 Orion when we pulled out of Loon Harbour in Ontario's Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area. A nice sun & fog morning for the passage to Isle Royale Michigan. It's a Hunter, but I have to admit that arch with the mainsheet on it is interesting.
Attachments
016C3DD8-1E55-45D9-B3AB-FDF7D7911301.jpeg
016C3DD8-1E55-45D9-B3AB-FDF7D7911301.jpeg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 1343 times
Paul
CDSOA Member
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:
wikakaru wrote:Here's a shot from yesterday. The Concordia 41 Sea Hawk beats into foggy West Penobscot Bay, Maine. More about the boat here: https://www.woodenboat.com/register-woo ... sea-hawk-1

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
IMG_7519a.jpg

Wow! What a photo. Just beautifully composed. Well done.
Thanks! I'm always glad when a photo comes out. Taking a good shot from a 22-foot sailboat that is heeling to the wind and bouncing on a swell while avoiding an inadvertent tack or gybe is always a challenge. Adding fog to the mix like we had on that day just bumps the difficulty up a notch, plus it makes it harder to find something to take a photo of!

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Today I was out sailing in Long Island Sound near The Race when I spotted this ship approaching from the west. I was tacking toward the western end of Fishers Island Sound and this ship continued heading east. I intercepted her east of Seaflower Reef. I was finally able to retrieve my camera from below while Orion held a steady course on her own while close reaching in 14 knots. It took several attempts to get this photo due to the sea conditions.
This is the Kalmar Nyckel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Nyckel
Attachments
A3964D48-C4A6-486E-BD93-E1ABDBFAEC84.jpeg
A3964D48-C4A6-486E-BD93-E1ABDBFAEC84.jpeg (303.8 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Very nice Jim W. Good job on the interception. Did you RON or was this a day sail?

It appears the good ship Nyckel is missing her mizzen top mast. I wonder what it’s like to sail on a ship like this when she is well handled by an able crew.... What would we think given our own experiences?

Looks to be a cat boat with a tan-bark mains’l close hauled off her bow.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote:Very nice Jim W. Good job on the interception. Did you RON or was this a day sail?

It appears the good ship Nyckel is missing her mizzen top mast. I wonder what it’s like to sail on a ship like this when she is well handled by an able crew.... What would we think given our own experiences?

Looks to be a cat boat with a tan-bark mains’l close hauled off her bow.
Just a day sail today. Replaced my main and staysail sheets in the morning then headed out to see how I liked them. My new staysail sheet is 10mm Viper and my mainsheet is 11mm Viper. Seems pretty good. A week ago I replaced my main and jib halyards with 10mm Viper. The improvement to the mainsail was very noticeable. No discernible stretch at all. The luff of my mainsail stayed taught after several hours of hard sailing which made me smile. I find the “hand” is acceptable, which is important to me. It seemed initially to have a somewhat slippery surface coating but that is much less noticeable after several days of sailing and exposure to the elements.
That cat boat appeared to be about 25’. It’s not often you see a real wood gaff rigged cruising cat with a cabin. The tan bark sail was very cool. There are several Nonsuch cats in the area but they are all easily discernible at a distance. This beauty stood out.
The Nyckel has a little mast and a crows nest on the end of the bowsprit. Seems the yard it supports is not present. That would be an exciting spot in large seas and strong winds.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
username

Post by username »

Bluenose II.jpg
Bluenose II.jpg (2.59 MiB) Viewed 1319 times
Bluenose II visited the Old Port of Montreal last summer briefly...
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

username wrote:
Bluenose II.jpg
Bluenose II visited the Old Port of Montreal last summer briefly...

Beautiful. Nice photo. Saw BN II when she was about to go into a shed on the Lunenberg, NS waterfront about 10-12 years ago. I think that’s when they started the big rebuild. There is a neat maritime museum there too.

Would be great to sail on her in about 20 knots of wind on a beam and broad reach. Probably pretty exhilarating....
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

It's a stinkpot, but at least it's a classic--the 85-foot 1935 Mathis-Trumpy motor yacht "Enticer" of Newport picking up a mooring in Fox Islands Thorofare. Photographed September 15, 2020. The brokerage listing is no longer active, but you can find out more about the yacht here: https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yach ... thistrumpy

--Jim
DSC_4064a.JPG
DSC_4064a.JPG (190.56 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The 37-foot 1962 International 600 Class yawl Premise sails past Iron Point in Fox Islands Thorofare, Maine on September 15, 2020. More about the boat here: http://elkspar.com/about-premise.html

--Jim
DSC_4112a.jpg
DSC_4112a.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Beautiful. You should have a dedicated website for the lovely pictures you have taken of these gorgeous boats.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Beautiful. You should have a dedicated website for the lovely pictures you have taken of these gorgeous boats.
Thanks, John! It's nice to be appreciated.

I'm trying to keep my online presence as low-profile as possible. The Cape Dory site is pretty much it for me these days.

--Jim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

wikakaru wrote:It's a stinkpot, but at least it's a classic--the 85-foot 1935 Mathis-Trumpy motor yacht "Enticer" of Newport picking up a mooring in Fox Islands Thorofare. Photographed September 15, 2020. The brokerage listing is no longer active, but you can find out more about the yacht here: https://www.northropandjohnson.com/yach ... thistrumpy

--Jim
DSC_4064a.JPG
I passed her in there while cruising this summer. Certainly a beautiful example of a fine era of boat building. My immediate thought at the time was that her canvas was worth more than my boat, Steve.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

During yesterday's sail on Arietta we had two classic boats pass by within 20 minutes of each other, one a 41-foot yawl, the other a 34-foot cutter. Here's the weird thing: they were both called Owl.

The 41-foot 1965 Rhodes Reliant yawl Owl sails past Iron Point in Fox Islands Thorofare:
IMG_8116a.JPG
IMG_8116a.JPG (202.84 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
The 34-foot 1941 Alden-designed Casey-built cutter Owl sails up Fox Islands Thorofare. She's available for charter out of Camden, Maine.
IMG_8117.jpg
IMG_8117.jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Smooth sailing,

--Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Gorgeous boats. Well crafted photos. Nice job.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Thanks, John!

OK, this one is not a classic, and it's not even a sailboat, but it is definitely interesting. The 99-foot expedition motor yacht A.B. Normal (the owner must be a Young Frankenstein fan) at anchor in Carver Cove, Vinalhaven, Maine yesterday. This thing looks like it could take you anywhere from Antarctica to Svalbard. Apparently she's for sale, only $6.9M: https://www.worthavenueyachts.com/yacht ... ab-normal/

OK, I said she was "at anchor", but looking more closely at the photo, there is no anchor down. Perhaps she is in "stationkeeping" mode? How's that for decadence? You don't even have to drop the anchor--just push a button and she stays put!

We sailed in view of her for about an hour, and she didn't move an inch, during which time several of her crew explored the area by dinghy.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
IMG_8157.jpg
IMG_8157.jpg (125.26 KiB) Viewed 1237 times