Non-skid color selection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Non-skid color selection

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks :!: No need for additional photos (at least not for me). I like the contrast between Oyster White and Moon Dust. The person who will be doing the project has worked with Awlgrip for many years. She also likes the Moon Dust.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

I did my non skid in Greystone from awl grip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Flyboy:

What color did you select for the deck :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

For what it's worth then, here is Baggy Wrinkles with her Epiphanes flat grey with the sand particles included making for a great textured surface in the light grey:

I initially got a bit worked up about the process, not being the craftsman as are many of this board membership, alas all went so well I began to think I was a craftsman. But I'm not :D
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Skeep:

Thanks.

Does Epifanes have a color chart :?: I looked on their website and could not find one. I only found Yacht Enamel Light Gray but no color chart.

How does the color affect heat retention :?: I am in Miami and I need to find a color that is "light" enough that it will absorb minimal heat from sun.

That gray sure looks nice with the teak :!: Want to work on a project in Miami :?: You could progress from "craftsman" to "artisan". :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Roberto, that almost sounds like an invitation to come aboard! Sort of... LOL

Yeah they've got a chart, I got mine at the Newport boat show couple of iterations back. I'd call 'em if you're really interested.

As for sun and heat, I know the deal, I'm partly a Floridian too; well it's hot here in South Carolina but I've not found any measurable difference between temperature to my bare feet. If it's a hot day, the deck is probably hot. Water on mine helps cool it. The difference between grey and tan? I have no idea. Good question for the Epiphanes crew.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Epifanes color chart hyperlink. :wink:
http://www.epifanes.com/page/colors
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I used SAND color by Pettit and it is lighter than the others - would also attract less solar heat than any tan, gray or blue color yet provide a nice contrast to the remaining part of the deck.
seasailor55

Post by seasailor55 »

I used PPG 435H two part aliphatic polyurethane in Hatteras Off White. I had the local PPG paint store tint it a sand grey with a touch of yellow for the deck of my CD22. I masked off the nonskid areas (rounding the corners requires a bit more effort but really makes a neat job) mixed polymer nonskid particles into the catalyzed paint, then applied a solid coat of color with a 4" roller. It has outstanding friction wet or dry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seasailor55
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Hull and topsides: Oyster White
Non skid: Moon Dust
Very happy with results!
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Can you give a SWAG of the time it would take to remove deck hardware, prep and paint, and then reinstall hardware?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

So, finally, it looks like the stars, the moon and all else will be in alignment at the end of October and the deck of S/V Bali Ha'i will finally, at long last, receive her Awlgrip.

The deck will definitely be Oyster White. Not surprisingly, having finally settled on a color for the non-skid (Moon Dust) I have been talking with sailing friends (always a mistake when picking colors :( ) and have now been told Moon Dust may be too "dark" (and hot) for Miami. They all recommended Awlgrip "Cream" (H8002) for the non-skid.

Sooooooooooooooooo, I return to my trusted friends on this board. It's either Moon Dust or Cream. Push "1" to vote for Moon Dust; push "2" to vote for Cream. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I don't know what we are supposed to "push", but I like moondust.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim Walsh wrote:I don't know what we are supposed to "push", but I like moondust.
Always with the technical stuff Jim. :D :D

"Click" 1 or "click" 2.

Sadly, this entire weekend is a "honey do" weekend. :roll:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Roberto,
I thought that you always tried to avoid the hot Florida sun? A while ago you were talking of leaving Florida and heading away from Hurricane Alley.
With those thoughts in mind, consider my click number 2 for Moon Dust. Besides Moon Dust won't show the spilled Guinness as badly as "Cream".
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27