New message board software coming soon.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Great Photo

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bobdugan wrote: Since the ability to post photos directly is a new feature on the board we need to figure out what the best maximum resolution and maximum size should be.

256KB is probably too small... I wonder what too large would be? Anyway I reset the limit to 1MB and 1024x768 resolution. Try your post again Sea Hunt Video and let me know what happens.

Bob
Hello Bob:

At your suggestion, I tried again to post the exact same photo I tried earlier. This time I got a slightly different rejection notice:

"The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 1544 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high".

The above quotation comes from the new website when I tried to post. I ain't no computer IT geek (an expression of endearment and respect :) ) but it does not sense.

All I know is my pictures are not very detailed, they are from a CVS "throw-away" camera and my computer (11-12 years old) says it is a "JPEG" picture that measures 1544 x 1024 and is 757 KBs. I have sent several of these photos via my hotmail email address to friends without difficulty.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong but obviously something.

As an aside, several months ago I recall that I emailed a couple of similar photos to a friend who posts on this board. S/he was able to post them - apparently without difficulty.

I do NOT want you, Cathy, Ray, Bill or others to spend a lot of time trying to figure this out. If there is something simple that I am doing wrong OK; otherwise no worries. I have posted on this board for several years and have managed to get by without posting photos. I think I can manage a few more years without posting.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

An update.

I found a place on my Microsoft "Pictures" folder that allowed me to adjust the number of "pixels". I reduced the pixel numbers to the ones set for the new CDSOA site and "resized" the photo. However, in the "new and reduced" photo it arbitrarily cropped off the right side of the photo-the side that happened to have most of S/V Bali Ha'i in the frame. Can't figure out how to crop the other edges instead.

This is not a CDSOA problem. This is a Sea Hunt Video problem. :oops: I just thought I would share.

"Demoralized in Miami" :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bobdugan

Re: Great Photo

Post by bobdugan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
bobdugan wrote: Since the ability to post photos directly is a new feature on the board we need to figure out what the best maximum resolution and maximum size should be.

256KB is probably too small... I wonder what too large would be? Anyway I reset the limit to 1MB and 1024x768 resolution. Try your post again Sea Hunt Video and let me know what happens.

Bob
Hello Bob:

At your suggestion, I tried again to post the exact same photo I tried earlier. This time I got a slightly different rejection notice:

"The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1024 pixels wide and 768 pixels high. The submitted image is 1544 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high".

The above quotation comes from the new website when I tried to post. I ain't no computer IT geek (an expression of endearment and respect :) ) but it does not sense.

All I know is my pictures are not very detailed, they are from a CVS "throw-away" camera and my computer (11-12 years old) says it is a "JPEG" picture that measures 1544 x 1024 and is 757 KBs. I have sent several of these photos via my hotmail email address to friends without difficulty.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong but obviously something.

As an aside, several months ago I recall that I emailed a couple of similar photos to a friend who posts on this board. S/he was able to post them - apparently without difficulty.

I do NOT want you, Cathy, Ray, Bill or others to spend a lot of time trying to figure this out. If there is something simple that I am doing wrong OK; otherwise no worries. I have posted on this board for several years and have managed to get by without posting photos. I think I can manage a few more years without posting.
The image you tried to post was 1544x1024 which is too large.

You need to resize the image to something less than or equal to 1024x768.

We're still experimenting with this new image posting feature so those dimensions might change... but for now it's 1024x768.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Image size

Post by bhartley »

As one who does web development, I would recommend 760 x 500 for your maximum size to enable the maximum number of people to view your images within the framework provided. Monitors with 800x600 resolution are still extremely common. Showing detail is best done by a tight crop on a high resolution image.

Picasa users can easily choose Export and select the Images Size and select NORMAL for image quality. The exported images can then be posted without modifying the original higher resolution image.

It is not necessary to choose the highest resolution (as opposed to largest size) to have the image look excellent on the screen. Printing images is a whole different story.

Bly
bobdugan

Re: Image size

Post by bobdugan »

bhartley wrote:As one who does web development, I would recommend 760 x 500 for your maximum size to enable the maximum number of people to view your images within the framework provided. Monitors with 800x600 resolution are still extremely common. Showing detail is best done by a tight crop on a high resolution image.

Picasa users can easily choose Export and select the Images Size and select NORMAL for image quality. The exported images can then be posted without modifying the original higher resolution image.

It is not necessary to choose the highest resolution (as opposed to largest size) to have the image look excellent on the screen. Printing images is a whole different story.

Bly
Bly we're always looking for good web type people you know :)

So I'm trying this now in the stylesheet.css file for the new board:

img {
border: none;
max-width: 750px;
}

I think this will allow any size picture to be posted and scaled appropriately if they are larger than 750px. I tried a post with a very large image and it was scaled correctly.
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
bobdugan

Post by bobdugan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:An update.

I found a place on my Microsoft "Pictures" folder that allowed me to adjust the number of "pixels". I reduced the pixel numbers to the ones set for the new CDSOA site and "resized" the photo. However, in the "new and reduced" photo it arbitrarily cropped off the right side of the photo-the side that happened to have most of S/V Bali Ha'i in the frame. Can't figure out how to crop the other edges instead.

This is not a CDSOA problem. This is a Sea Hunt Video problem. :oops: I just thought I would share.

"Demoralized in Miami" :cry:
Sea Hunt Video,

Can you try posting your image with no changes? I think it will work now.

Bob
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bobdugan wrote:Sea Hunt Video,

Can you try posting your image with no changes? I think it will work now.

Bob
Bob, you are my hero :!: :!: I am not sure but I think I actually posted a photo of S/V Bali Ha'i on the new CDSOA board.

Candidly, I am not sure how I did it, but I think I did it. :roll:

As Harrison Ford said in the movie "Six Days Seven Nights" while pulling a snake out of Anne Heche's "undergarments", I'm not without skills". :D Unfortunately, my skill sets do not translate to civilian life.

In my "second life" as a civilian I successfully worked as a underwater videographer until digital editing came into vogue. I did linear editing - time consuming and tedious, but simple. Digital editing required a whole new mindset, skill set and way of thinking. My training, education and background did not (and still does not) adjust well to digital. I have some great video of sand tiger sharks in North Carolina, scalloped Hammerheads in Cocos Island, schools of oceanic white tipped sharks from the Galapagos (Wolf and Darwin), the WWII Japanese ships of Chuuk Lagoon, etc., yet no wants it unless it has been digitally edited. I really, really tried. After two (2) years I surrendered to the digital gods (or devils - take your pick).

Bob, that you (and Cathy and Ray) have somehow allowed me to post a digital photo on the CDSOA board (with your patience after so many of my failed attempts) is something for which I will be forever grateful.

My sincere thanks :!:

P.S. I doubt I will ever be able to do it again but it was great being able to do it once. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

I am unworthy???

Post by bhartley »

I just went to see the photos of the infamous Bali H'ai but... I only see:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I realize now that I have to sign in to see the photos. Is it possible to change this message or the behavior? I am reasonably savvy, but it had me confused since I have permission to see everything else -- including pictures not hosted by the CDSOA.

Just a suggestion -- not a criticism.

Nice looking boat Robert!

Bly
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

My Dearest Darling Bly:

Thee who bought the Cape Dory 25D in St. Augustine that was the first CD 25D I looked lo those many years ago.

First, allow me to thank you for your gracious comment that S/V Bali Ha'i is "nice looking". She is indeed, I say more modestly, with neery a touch of glee.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, S/V Bali Ha'i is NOT "infamous". She is indeed "famous", having garnered many accolades from the knowledgeable sailors at the local sailing club.

Third, and one cannot stress this enough, her name is spelled "S/V Bali Ha'i", not Bali H'ai. I have no idea what a "H'ai" is but I am sure it is not beautiful - as is my Bali Ha'i. :D

Carry on. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Changeover to take place Saturday......

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Gang,

The CDSOA web team will be making the changeover from the old message board software to the new this Saturday, January 28th. We'll be starting at 6:00 PM so the message board will be unavailable from that time until we're finished.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation,
Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
mike ritenour

Thanks

Post by mike ritenour »

Thank you Cathy and the team for all of your hard work!
Rit
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I'm with Rit. Thank you all and good luck Saturday.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Gary H

Strange Login troubles..

Post by Gary H »

I generally access this board from one of 3 devices: my PC at my office; my iphone; and my Mac at home. Ever since the new board software was installed, I have been unable to login from my office PC (the other two devices work fine). It's not that I can't actually login - it is more like I can't stay logged in for more that 2 seconds.

When I enter my username and password (and click "keep my logged in," I go to the next screen that says, "You have successfully logged in." Two seconds later, it reverts back to the login page and I am no longer logged in. This happens each and every time (only on this one computer - which seems to work fine on every other page on the world wide web) which effectively makes it impossible for me to login.
Any thoughts on the cause or the cure? Anyone else experience this?
harveyr933
Location: 1980 Intrepid 9M, hull #43, ELSKERINDE, Cataumet, MA

Re: New message board software coming soon.....

Post by harveyr933 »

I had an identical problem. Finally added "capedory.org" to the list of trusted sites and it's been working fine ever since.
Bob H