Hurricane Florence

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Florence may be downgraded to a tropical storm (45 mph winds; moving W @ 3 mph) but she has a large super wet rain band just sitting over the area between Wilmington & Jacksonville, NC and it will not move. :(

I don't know but I suspect John S. and the others in that area are getting pummeled with very heavy rain and combined with storm surge (45 mph winds are enough for storm surge) and high tide cycles it may be a while before the "all clear" is signaled.

This is much like Harvey last year in Houston only Florence is still packing TS force winds. The river flooding, wash outs, etc., are often more dangerous and life threatening than the winds.

Hopefully, we will hear from John S. soon.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This may (or may not :( - I ain't good with computer stuff) show Florence's movement and heavy rain bands between Wilmington and Jacksonville, NC.

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid ... R&loop=yes
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hey everyone. Thanks for thinking about us. Our town, Swansboro, took at beating. Been on national news. Gayle said she heard we got 30” of rain so far. My sister Tricia, who sailed with me to the West Indies in 2015, is with the kids at the house—we have not been home yet. My sister told us we have had damage though nothing too terrible ... I don’t think. Will know more when we get home.

Gayle and I have been at MCAS Cherry Point since Thursday morning. We got to the boat yesterday as described earlier on this thread. We spent most of the day today working on all the other boats there as the surge has dropped a lot—getting boats off pilings, lassoing lose boats and securing them. The marina took a hell of a beating too. The engineers got the road cleared to the marina this afternoon so now we can drive the truck there vice crawling across the downed trees. The Far Reach is the only boat in the marina that has no damage. Not a scratch. Never had time to get on her today. Too busy working on other boats.

The surge is down to about 3’ now. The wind was down to 15 knots by this afternoon. Still a lot of rain though at times it’s not raining. The Sun has not made an appearance yet so we have been lucky there. Thankfully no alligators or water moccasins spotted. We are eating in the Marine Corps chow hall so the food is fine. We moved to different billeting today that has power. Roads between the base and our home 35 miles away are still closed.

Crazy day. Gayle and I are beat. Will go back to the marina tomorrow and open up the boat and try to air her out. Then, we need to see if we can get home.

I feel so lucky the Far Reach is OK. Looks like I’ll be able to make it back the West Indies this year after all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

A couple more photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC James

Post by RC James »

I think I know who all of us on this Board would like to have in our foxhole when the going gets unbelievably tough.
Magnificent magnanimity to help those absent boatowners who failed to attempt to adequately prepare their vessels.

Semper Fi, and Bravo Zulu

RJames KittyHawkNC
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Far Reach escaped unscathed because of proper prep by a dedicated captain.

I'd sail with John anywhere, anytime.

Semper Fi Skipper
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

John, Congrats. on Far Reach being OK due to your prep work. When this is all behind you please write a post on everything you did to prep for this storm.

Thanks
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thank you all for the kind words. No doubt about it...we were lucky. But as I like to say, I’ll take luck over skill any day.

We made it down to the Far Reach this morning. The water was down another foot so I’d say maybe still 2’ above normal. We opened the boat and got our first peak inside. She looked like we left her. Absolutely dry. No port light, deck hatch, mast, or dorade leaks. There was three quarts of water in the bilge. It was river water. I was able to trace a small brown trickle trail from the rudder port to the bilge. I determined the water gained entry via the rudder post stuffing box. It has not been adjusted since we launched her three years ago. I imagine with all the insane pitching up and down water was compressed under her stern counter and forced up the rudder port. So easy fix...just need tighten the rings.

I felt guilty seeing her floating in her slip all trim and elegant with so much carnage all around the marina. Other sailors were there checking out their boats and surveying the damage. Some of them worked hard preparing their boats too but couldn’t escape the power and rath of Florence.

We left her about 1300 looking fine. We checked out of base billeting and headed home with our fingers crossed. The roads were open but there were power crews fixing downed lines all the way home. The closer we got to home the more damage too. Very sad. Trees down, fences down, roofs destroyed, signs down, leaves and debris all over the roads, flooding everywhere. There were also huge lines at the few gas stations we saw open. Our neighborhood looks like a tornado went through it. We pulled into our driveway glad to be home. The kids were happy to see us. My sister was happy to see us!

We had a whole bunch of shingles ripped off along with some tar paper and some damage to a couple doors. Some water damage in the overhead drywall in garage. The fence was knocked down in a couple places where trees fell on it. Nothing major. And get this...the power came on about an hour before we got home. So we are good to go.

We spent the afternoon cleaning up the yard and protecting the roof with tarps and furing strips.

I’ll get back to the Far a Reach in a couple days and move some of our sailing gear back aboard.

I am so relieved the Far Reach miraculously came through this awful ordeal without damage. I did not really know how worried I was till it was over and we finally got down to the boat on Friday for the first look. I was prepared for catastrophe. I had to force myself not to think about the consequences of what seemed like certainty. I am not foolish enough to smile about our escape because you can do everything right and have your boat sunk. I think I just feel so fortunate to have escaped what could have been the loss of the boat that we worked so hard to create and which still powers my dreams and imagination.

And for Roberto...I get it man. I am typing this out tonight enjoying an ice cold Guinness and thinking, F’ing hurricanes.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John S.

In all the posts you have authored over the past years, one sentence in your latest post is the first time I can say I am a little pissed off :!: Perhaps even more than a little :!: :!:

You wrote: "And get this...the power came on about an hour before we got home. So we are good to go."

That NEVER happens in my neighborhood. When the power goes out because of a storm (even a tiny little TS) it is out for days. For example, during Hurricane Irma in September 2017 the power was out for 7 days (yes 7 frickng day :!: :!: ). During Hurricane Andrew (August 1992) power was out for 5-6 months :!: :!: You lost power for about 48 hour or less. Enjoy your cold Guinness. I was reduced to sipping warm Guinness after 4 days last year. :(

Congrats again on your successful efforrts with S/V Far Reach. BZ
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

John, I'm so happy everything turned out ok for you and Far Reach. It's a measure of the attention you paid to her over the years and specifically for this storm that enabled her to ride this out in safety.
Well done!
Jeff
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

No doubt you had a well filled Black Box. That attests to much diligence and prudence over the years. Best of luck with the other work you now have on your schedule.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is from a CNN report. Swansboro so far got the second highest amount of rain :!:

"Swansboro had been the North Carolina city with the most rain. It's now No. 2, with almost 34 inches of rain.

Here's a breakdown of rain totals across the state:

Elizabethtown: 35.93 inches
Swansboro: 33.89 inches
Gurganus: 30.38 inches
Hofmann Forest: 29.62 inches
Hampstead: 29.52 inches
Sunny Point: 27.44 inches
Oak Island: 26.98 inches
Wilmington: 26.58 inches
Whiteville: 25.91 inches
Newport/Morehead City: 25.20 inches
Mount Olive: 25.04 inches

"
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for the kind words. I'm humbled.

Attached are links to two short videos we uploaded to youtube tonight. They are raw and unedited. Sound quality is poor. Lots of wind and my iphone was in a soft clear pouch due to the rain. We shot the short video on Thursday while the surge was rising. It's about 5' in the video and would max at 9'-13'. I have not seen the official figure yet. I took the video at 1400 on Thursday, a full 24 hours before landfall. You can see all the doubled lines and chafing guards on the Far Reach. We were in a wide slip. Note the current. That is water rushing into Hancock Creek on the Neuse River. The wind is out of the NNE. You can see the large 30,000 lb Tyanna 42 Dog Star to our left. The boat pulled in the day before. The lines were old and too tight. I had to slack them as I knew they did not have enough length to accommodate the surge. I also took my spinnaker halyard down and used it to double their stern lines on both sides. I was trying to protect the Far Reach. The stern line on the starboard quarter of Dog Star eventually parted. Dog Star made it through with minimal damage I think. She trapped a 40 long log on her starboard side under her spring line so perhaps she kept it from hitting our boat. Even though the wind is slightly from the right in the video look at the current coming in from the left. That's was driving the boat to the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksgpszIY8vM

The second video was taken Friday morning 14 Sept 2018 at about 1150. The surge is on its way back down. It's a little higher than when I shot the first video. Lots of wind noise. I had not yet been out to the end of B Dock, which is where the Far Reach is located. That big fin keel sail boat, Seaquel, is sitting astride our dock. After I shot the video I crawled under the forward edge of her keel and made my way out to the end of the dock (I wore my life jacket and stripped off my foul wx gear and shoes in case I got driven off the dock into the water) using the safety line we rigged the day before. Once there, I took in some slack in the dock lines of the Far Reach and Dog Star too. I also lassoed and secured a few lose boats on B dock and generally did what I could. You probably can't see it in the video but the safety line I rigged the day before that runs all the way down B dock is around the back edge of Seaquels rudder and I think it trapped the boat and keep it from drifting further on the high part surge. As soon as we could we began working down securing boat and pulling them off of each other and the pilings.

Also, the boat with the billowing mainsail is not Ben Grant's boat Zig Zag like I mentioned in the video. It's a Catalina 32? that started out on the other side of the B Dock. It broke all it's dock lines, floated over the top of B dock, and came down in the slip with Ben's boat--a very nice Pearson named Zig Zag. Ben's boat was damaged but not too bad. He worked hard to prep his boat and I believe had it not been for that lose Catalina, Zig Zag would have made it through undamaged. The black hulled boat--I called it a Freedome 27 in the video but I think it's a 25--was found about 300 meters away in the trees beyond where you see the blue 34 footer standing up right on its winged keel near the boat ramp. Out of about 25 boats in the marina, three were sunk (all over 34') five were driven up on land or on top of the docks, one had her stern up on the dock, one was swept away into the trees, and all were damaged except the Far Reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UpBH_q0M4&t=9s

There is just no substitute for prepping your boat and your neighbors, all of them, prepping their boats as if losing them would be their ruin. Then, as mentioned before, you need some luck.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Got back to the marina today. Opened up the Far Reach to get air moving through her. Put the dinghy, oars, dinghy sailing rig, stern anchor back aboard. Chatted with some other boat owners. Folks not happy with the dock master—I’m not either but that’s still not an excuse for sloppy hurricane preparations by boat owners. Aggravating.

In the bottom left of the photo you can see the coiled sprit-shrouds (often erroneously called whisker stays). I took them off as part of the storm prep thinking as the boat would rise on the 10’ surge the bow lines would chafe through on the wire. Gayle and I chatted about that decision today as we reinstalled them. The 30 minutes we spent taking them off might have been what saved the Far Reach.

Another boat sunk at the marina today for a total of four boats sunk. It’s still a stunning visual.

Best to all.