Gutting a CD 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Nebe

Re: Gutting a CD 25D?

Post by Nebe »

Not sure if you guys knew about this..

https://www.practical-sailor.com/review ... 145-1.html
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks for sharing. Yes. I have seen them both. But neither answered the questions I had—how do you tell the two boats apart at a distance and what is under the cockpit sole on a CD 26. But both question have been answered by the CD Collective Brain Trust.
Nebe

Post by Nebe »

It’s quite a trust :)
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

John,

The 26 is a wonderful and very capable boat. I came full circle back to a boat this size after many summers and thousands of miles sailing a Fuji 32 Ketch. Some of my criteria is similar to yours, especially the ability to trailer. My main criteria were trailerability (including launch and retrieval by myself), the ability to rig by myself (including raising and lowering the mast), standing headroom, simple systems (plumbing and electrical), an outboard well that will fit a Tohatsu 5hp propane engine and tanks, a composting head (no holding tanks, pumps, or hoses, a removable cooler for an icebox, a solid fiberglass hull, a full keel, a v-berth, a private head that does not require the breakdown of a berth, and four bunks. The CD26 fits all of these very well. My only gripe is the head setup and how it is open to the v-berth without a partition. This is easily remedied though, as I am adding a curtain partition that snaps into place on one half and slides on a track for the other for access to the v-berth. There was already a nice curtain that separates the main salon to the head area on a sliding track. With these two curtains one can get as much privacy as would be found on the CD27 and 28. Also, using a composting head (C-Head) there is zero smell. There were only 78 of these built and I have not seen that many for sale at any given time. I would be willing to answer any questions that you may have. I'm not sure where you live, but I keep my boat in Newburyport, MA in the summer and store it at my parent's house in South Hampton, NH in the off season. If you are nearby, I would be willing to show it off to you and in the summer take you out for a sail.

I have posted these before on some other posts, but thought I would post again for this thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tim Mertinooke on Jan 5th, '18, 17:52, edited 2 times in total.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Here are a few more. The trailer was made by Triad and works very well launching and retrieving due to the 24' tongue extension and the flip down wheel that takes the tongue weight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hi Tim,
Thanks for posting the info and pictures on your boat. Seems ideal. Very nice. I'll keep it in mind.

John