I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sally Perreten

Re: I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by Sally Perreten »

Dick, I think it would be wise to ask permission before scavenging fittings off the Ty at Dodson's. Since it is, really, their boat, they might be thinking of doing that themselves for when local Ty owners come to them for repairs. It is, however, a good idea to harvest what can be harvested if they allow it.
Sally
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Sally Perreten wrote:Dick, I think it would be wise to ask permission before scavenging fittings off the Ty at Dodson's. Since it is, really, their boat, they might be thinking of doing that themselves for when local Ty owners come to them for repairs. It is, however, a good idea to harvest what can be harvested if they allow it.
Sally
Possibly I missed an inside joke, but I suspect Dick agrees wholeheartedly with that and never meant to imply taking anything without permission. Scavenge <> Steal.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Of course.

I probably missed an inside joke, too. Abandoned boats are often - maybe even legally? - considered fair game, so I stuck my oar in. Hopefully, I didn't cause offense or distress! ....Am I right in thinking it is still legal to plunder a shipwreck? Not that you should take your lantern out on a cliff on a stormy night and lure one onto the rocks. :roll:
Sally
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I meant that while getting permission to purchase another mast, might as well get permission to (purchase via scavenging) as many spare parts from the derelict hull - especially those that are hard to come by.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

I noticed it was hinted at but not openly stated, you can download the spec Manual for the Cape Dory on the site--drill down and find lengths for shrouds/stays etc. FYI
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Quite a few people have offered sources for rigging data, but I suspect the oversight is that any Ty data would be in reference to standard chainplates. This one has had its chainplates modified, with an additional one added as well. Possibly the lengths are not that different if , but then again...

Sally - no offense here. I just wanted to assume the best and point out a positive angle :)
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Hi All,

A quick update on scavenging parts from Dodson's. The hull was completely shot - apparently it had filled with water - and they were thinking of just putting it the dumpster. Quite sad, really. Nevertheless, since the owner had abandoned it they were able to get title and have removed every bit of metal off of it - which they are happy to sell to me! I will be driving up in late September to collect everything - mast, boom, tabernacle, nosepiece, winches, cleats, porthole rings, outboard bracket, the whole shebang. Once I bring it all home I will post a listing of the arts in case anyone would like to have the bits I don't need.

All the best,

Steve
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Hey Steve, that is wonderful news. When you come up we would love to have lunch with you at the very good restaurant right in the boatyard (The Dogwatch Pub) and/or take you for a sail on Echo. My email is sperreten1 at macdotcom.
Sally
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

With apologies for my radio silence, I did in fact make it up to Dodson's and thanks to Sally now have the mast, boom, nosepiece and all accoutrements from the poor neglected Fidelity, hull number 810, which is no more. Sally treated me to a very nice sail in her lovely Echo, my very first time sailing a Typhoon - thanks Sally! It was a lovely day indeed.

I took off the existing mast step from my boat, and you can see what was under there here: http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/shhig ... iew=recent

It seems that the three original bolt holes have been filled with what looks like plastic rods. I am planning on drilling them out, but any other ideas on getting them out would be welcome. I am going to sand down and patch over the newer mounting holes. It appears that the newer step was simply screwed into the topsides without the benefit of pilot holes..!

The tabernacle from Fidelity seems to have been pretty much ripped out and just one of the bolts came along, and that one was sheared off. Can anyone tell me what the proper replacement bolts should be? I understand that these mount into an iron or steel structure that is integral to the cabin top. Is that correct?

In addition to the expected components there were two mystery spars that the folks at Dodson's gave me, with photos also at the above link. Any idea what those might be?

Thanks everyone, especially Sally and the folks at Dodson's!

Steve
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Steve, you are most gracious. It was lots of fun to meet you, and it's always a pleasure to chat with someone who has such good taste in boats.

Happy New Year, and I'll be interested in following your progress.
Sally
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Steve- My 72 weekender was just cored under the mast step, never saw any evidence of metal at all. I rebuilt it with solid fiberglass.

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

I would think that if there was steel reinforcement under the mast, there would be no need for a compression post.

With the exception of keel stepped masts, all of the other Tys that I worked on had compression posts or home made beams supports below the cuddy roof.

Happy New Year everyone.

Think Spring,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Echo does not have a compression post. I'm thinking you have to choose between one and a head. We don't sail her in 30 knots of wind at our ages, but our deck looks fine and seems to take it. She will be 44 this summer. I wonder about the real need for one, but Mark makes me wonder. (And admire - that is one massive restoration project. Bravo!)

90 days, folks, before April and boat work time in New England. :D
Sally
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sally Perreten wrote:90 days, folks, before April and boat work time in New England.
My usual plan is to be floating within 100 days. Work can start as soon as it's warm enough to take the cover off and work without gloves... mid-March or so.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

shhiggins wrote: In addition to the expected components there were two mystery spars that the folks at Dodson's gave me, with photos also at the above link. Any idea what those might be?
Steve
You got yourself the boom and upper mast section of a sliding Gunnter rig for a CD 10 or 14. The only spare missing, is a 2" straight section and you would have the entire rig for one of these boats. The length should determine which one it is. Those jaws are the important part as the spars are just straight tubing.

Best of luck with your project, Another Steve.