New message board software coming soon.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

Resizing

Post by Gary H »

Robert,
If you email me your pics, I will resize them for you and send them back to you. I will send you my email address in a PM if you wish.

Your low res photos were scanned by the drug store at a higher resolution that does nothing to make them look any better.
Gary
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Randy:

I tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not work. When I reduced the number of "pixels" (correct term :?: ) it made the picture smaller but it did so by cutting off the bottom and the sides. I have an old computer (Windows XP Home Edition I am told) that I bought in about December 2000 - I think :( I am honestly not sure what Microsoft equipment I have on the computer.

Gary:

Your offer is much appreciated but I can't keep sending you or others photos to have them "downsized". I need to figure out how to do this on my own - if in fact I need to downsize.

I am still hoping that Cathy, Bob or Ray will offer their input on this. I guess it is possible, but I think unlikely that I am the only one with "high resolution" photos that cannot be posted onto the new CDSOA board. I have looked at some recent posts with photos and, while I am no photo expert, some of these photos seem to have a significant amount of detail and are full sized. If these folks figured out how to post their photos then I am going to keep trying to figure it out.

OJ, where are you :?: :?: :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Another thought

Post by Randy Capstick »

Robert,

When you attempt to email a picture, you should get a prompt asking if you would like to make the picture smaller. You could always email the pictures to yourself and then attach the smaller pictures to your posts on the board. It's a bit of a pain to do it this way, but may work for you until you can figure out how to make the pics smaller.

Randy
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Picture Size

Post by Oswego John »

"OJ, where are you"
Hi Robert,

The following pix show you how I can compress or expand a photo for submission.

They display various sizes that are from the same picture taken by the same camera. I believe that this pic was taken by a digital camera but it makes no difference what type of camera as long as the picture is loaded into your computer.

Any pix in my computer is automatically sensed by Picasa and uploaded. I next select the size that I want to submit, thumbnail, small, med #1, med #2 or large. Each size of the same picture has its own individual address to be submitted to the CDSOA Board.

I tried several photo handlers and found that Picasa works best for me. It is very easy to install Picasa. Their tutorials are complete and easy to follow.

Good luck,
O J

Thumbnail

Small

Med.

Med. 640

Large
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Nobody likes a show off OJ :!: :D :D :D :D

As my "tutor" I will follow your guidance. Instead of trying to learn how to post photos directly from my computer I will learn how to post them from Picaso.

It is a sad day, a sad day indeed, when a guy can't learn how to post photos from his own computer. :oops:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Gary H

Great Photo

Post by Gary H »

Wonderful photo, OJ. The resolution is so good that I can practically smell the Old Spice.
bobdugan

Re: Great Photo

Post by bobdugan »

Gary H wrote:Wonderful photo, OJ. The resolution is so good that I can practically smell the Old Spice.
Those are great photos.

Since the ability to post photos directly is a new feature on the board we need to figure out what the best maximum resolution and maximum size should be.

256KB is probably too small... I wonder what too large would be? Anyway I reset the limit to 1MB and 1024x768 resolution. Try your post again Sea Hunt Video and let me know what happens.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Gary H

Photo Advice

Post by Gary H »

The link below shows Ebay's advice on photo sizes and suggestions on how to reduce the size of your photos.
Perhaps, helpful.
http://reviews.ebay.com/_W0QQugidZ10000000001655948
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Oswego John wrote:I do send and receive quite a few PMs. I am aware that my In Box can contain 50 PMs. My first question is:

"How many PMs can I store in my Save Box?"

Allowing that my In Box can hold 50 PMs, my second question is:

"If my In Box is filled up with 50 PMs, what happens if someone sends me my 51st PM? Is it rejected, or is the last PM at the bottom of the list bumped off to make room for the new PM? Or what else happens otherwise?

I suppose that if necessary, I could store the most important PMs on a disc, ( or can't I? )

Just wondering in snowy, wintery Oswego.
O J
Don't keep old pms. Read'em, reply to'em and get rid of'em.

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
mike ritenour

photo size

Post by mike ritenour »

Bob,
Since a lot of us are shooting pics in the excess of 1mb, any chance you could up it to say 4 or 5mb?
Thanks,
Rit
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Board policy on private messages?

Post by Duncan »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:Don't keep old pms. Read'em, reply to'em and get rid of'em.
-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
I notice that this is the second time you have posted this same response.

Is this a personal opinion, or are you saying this is a Board/Webmaster policy?

Is there any reason why these quotas could not be raised to a more reasonable figure?
Can't we "change 'em"? :)
Oswego John

Getting Back....

Post by Oswego John »

....to my two original questions, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many PMs can be stored in the "Saved Box" under the present system?

Also, if I have room for 50 PMs in the "In Box" under the present system and if someone sends me another PM which would be the 51st one, would the new PM be rejected or would it register and the bottom PM on the list be bumped off of the list?

Just wondering, realizing that all of this will be moot, soon.

Keep up the good work,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Getting Back....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Oswego John wrote:....to my two original questions, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many PMs can be stored in the "Saved Box" under the present system?

Also, if I have room for 50 PMs in the "In Box" under the present system and if someone sends me another PM which would be the 51st one, would the new PM be rejected or would it register and the bottom PM on the list be bumped off of the list?

Just wondering, realizing that all of this will be moot, soon.

Keep up the good work,
O J

Max posts in Inbox : 50

Max posts in Sentbox : 25

Max posts in Savebox : 50

Please don't use the message board as your email system. PMs should be read, then take any action you need to take regarding those PMs, after that they should be removed. If you want to save stuff in YOUR emailbox, then use the email function instead of the PM function.

Thanks,
Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Jan 18th, '12, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Oswego John

Save Box

Post by Oswego John »

Thanks Cathy,

for the information.

When I think of it, I try to empty out my In Box. While investigating my Save Box, since I first started using PMs, in all this time I only found two PMs that I had saved.

My main concern was that if my In Box was full, did I miss any PMs and not realize it.

Keep up the good work,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
bobdugan

Re: photo size

Post by bobdugan »

mike ritenour wrote:Bob,
Since a lot of us are shooting pics in the excess of 1mb, any chance you could up it to say 4 or 5mb?
Thanks,
Rit
A couple of things...

First... an image that large is going to be hard for most folks to see in a browser window... it might make it awkward to view other posts in the thread. For now we're going to stick with 1024x768 as the max image dimensions (which impacts the size of an image).

Second... we have the disk space for larger photos... in theory we could support something like 5MB... so maybe in the future we'll get there.

Third... we are concerned about the bandwidth consumption when we start hosting photos on the board... so we want to keep the photo size down a bit until we see what bandwidth utilization looks like when we serve up the photos. For now we're going with 1MB per photo.

Let's experiment with this new feature for a while before we commit to a policy on photos.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer