MOB Retrieval

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

My Personal Experience

Post by Evergreen »

Before moving up to our CD36, we cruised extensively on our Catalina 22. During hot summer days when winds were relatively light we would secure a line to a cleat and jump over the side while hanging on to the end. Our dragging in the water would slow the light boat and we eventually would pull ourself back to the boat feeling very refreshed.

Then one day I decided to do this from a 30+ foot sailboat, sailing in light air. Lesson quickly learned: 1) The vessel does not slow at all; 2) You do not even have a tiny chance of being able to pull your dragging weight back towards the boat; 3) Unless you let go of the line you will drown because your dragging through the water throws up a "bow wake" (so to speak) in front of your face and you can not keep your mouth and nose above it in order to breath.
In conclusion: I learned that if in the water while secured to a vessel, the vessel must be dead in the water!!!

In addition, I believe that I have read in the past, that when recovering a person from the water, most larger professional vessels heave-to on the windward side of the person and slowly drift down on them. It is imperative that the propeller be used as little as possible.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

I've pondered this issue for quite awhile and years ago experimented with towing a line aft and jumping in to see if I could haul myself aboard, of course had someone else on board sailing the boat. I couldn't do it and that was when I was much younger and fit.

I have learned to always wear my inflatable life vest, and will now always use a tether when I sail alone.

I saw an interesting set up on a boat where I keep mine. there was a wooden device that hooked over a rung in the boarding ladder, with a line run from it down to the water line in such a way that a person in the water could release the ladder. If I can remember to do it, I'll take a picture next time I'm there and post it. It's a pretty ingenious set up.
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Real Situation with fully trained and experienced Race Crew

Post by Noel Heslop »

I had a quick search for this article in our Australian "Afloat" magazine which I had read before.

This is a very chilling article for novices like myself, as it is a real situation with fully trained and experienced Race Crew.

It is a good read, enjoy.

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazin ... _Overboard

PS. Afloat is a free magazine that is available at all marine shops, marinas, yacht clubs that is an automatic take home for us all.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

2nd AFLOAT Article and a solution - Expensive?

Post by Noel Heslop »

This a "Sea Scoop" article that I also "googled" in Afloat 2008.

This is a real solution, that actually looks like it "could" work. I can appreciate the roll over effect when I saw the photos.

http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-magazin ... _Overboard
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Sea Scoopa

Post by Oswego John »

I read the article with much interest. I would think that something like this has much potential. It provides someone with little body strength to actually get the overboard person back into the boat. That is a very important feature that seems not to be provided for with other retrieval theories.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mike ritenour

Practice, practice, practice

Post by mike ritenour »

I believe each and every boat has it's own best method of getting crew back aboard.

IMHO the key to a successful rescue is to practice that method.
All of the reading, thinking and pondering will not prepare a crew to act in an instinctive and decisive manner.

Emergency planning, has at its core, practice drills. No dummies, no boat cushions, no floats just a real person in the water, playing dead or near dead with a crew trying to rescue them. Even in practice things will and do go wrong. The learning curve comes from the perspective and feedback of the person in the water and the folks on deck. You can't get that from a dummy, float or boat cushion. Only by practice of your specific plan will you improve your ability to save a life.

On LaVida, first and foremost everyone wears an inflatable life jacket with harness. In addition, we carry the Life Sling, a handy billy dedicated to the Life Sling (in the bag), a spliced eye on the boom especially for the "handy billy", along with the MOB horseshoe, marker buoy, a throwable line and life jackets to heave. We also have a stern ladder, mounted next to the windvane brackets with a trip line that can be grabbed from the water level.

Unless its a warm swim call, I hate jumping overboard for a drill, however 40 years of working in, on and under the sea has taught me the value of drills, in the long run they really give everyone a better nights sleep.

Rit
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Of course, first, stay on board. But if that strategy fails...

The discussion of towing a 300' line intrigues me. Most of the negative comments focused on the ensuing inability to pull oneself back to the boat (without drowning), even in you can catch the line. Personally, I would feel like just so much trolled bait. Then there's the problem of getting back on board if you DO get back to the boat.

What if you towed a boogie board (or wake board) at the end of the line? If you catch the line, and get the board under you, it would be much easier to 'walk' up the line back to the boat, and give you a platform once back at the boat to assist in boarding.

A last resort is better than having no options... just ask the crew of Apollo 13.

That's my two cents. Where's my change?

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have messed with a boogie board in whitewater rapids. At one time I had a buddy pull me onto a wave I couldn't catch. He stationed himself on a bridge over the rapid and I held a long line. I started in an eddy and could not have pulled myself against the current. I am not sure if my buddy could reel me in much either. It was mostly just a matter of swinging out onto the wave.

While a boogie board might serve you well as a way to rest at the end of your rope, I seriously doubt you could move yourself towards your own rescue if the boat was underway. You pretty much need both hands to control the boogie board. If you were able to make some progress towards the boat I believe you would lose control of the board before you ever got there.

A stand up paddle board or a windsurfer might work in skilled hands but do you really want to be towing one? Given the right conditions it could also become a rapidly deployed sea anchor.

A boogie board can quickly become a very effective diving plane, Steve.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Hold my beer, watch this!

Post by Duncan »

Steve Laume wrote:I have messed with a boogie board in whitewater rapids. At one time I had a buddy pull me onto a wave I couldn't catch. He stationed himself on a bridge over the rapid and I held a long line. I started in an eddy and could not have pulled myself against the current. I am not sure if my buddy could reel me in much either. It was mostly just a matter of swinging out onto the wave.
Thanks for a great "Hold my beer, watch this" moment, Steve :)
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Another view

Post by SeaBelle »

I don't intend to highjack this thread or suggest that the discussion is not worthwhile but it has always amazed me how much attention is payed to COB procedures and how little is payed to not falling overboard in the first place.

I learned COB procedures by throwing a cushion overboard on a clear day with calm seas. It was instructive but the reality is that when the 200 pound guy goes overboard at night in a storm it is very hard for his partner(s) to find him and if he is found to get him aboard.

It may be hyperbole but my philosophy is that 'if you're wet you're dead'. The first line of defense is to stay aboard and that means rigging jacklines, wearing a harness/inflatable vest, and clipping on.

Care must be taken that one does not go over the side while clipped on. The plan is to go up the high side so the tether prevents one from falling over the low side. But if they do at least we needn't find them. If you're overboard and clipped on you'll be dragged so powerfully you can not get yourself aboard. We'll immediately depower the boat to reduce drag and try to get the crew aboard alive. That means getting him aboard quickly and not necessarily gently; if he gets roughed up or hurt at least he's alive.

Our vests have a whistle attached to a lanyard and a small light. If you're stupid enough not to be clipped on it may facilitate finding you.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.