Drive time to the Boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

What is your drive time from the house to the slip, mooring or boathouse?

Less than one hour
74%
1 - 3 hours
16%
3 - 5 hours
4%
Over 5 hours
6%

Total votes: 95

Dixon Hemphill

Driving time

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I just logged in to this great website.

It takes me about 65 minutes to drive from my home in Fairfax Station VA to my marina in Annapolis MD --- mostly highways so I can usually make pretty good time. If I attempt the trip during high-traffic times the trip takes about 90 minutes.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
mike ritenour

In a flash

Post by mike ritenour »

Its a five minute walk from my house and once there, its less than ten minutes to leave the dock.

FYI-Its my habit to always leave the boat in instant readyness to leave the dock.

Many years back, the ability to get underway quickly saved me thousands of dollars in damage, from a boat on fire next to us.
Rit
Frank Vernet

Time To Get Underway

Post by Frank Vernet »

I never really timed myself as I usually take my time and savor the ritual of getting Sirius ready. I guess I could do it in 5-10 minutes if in extremis.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
John Danicic

A long way from home

Post by John Danicic »

4.5 hour ride. Worth the drive. Looks like I am of the 5% - 3 to 5 hour group

The last couple of hours are very rural with few cars, (so few, the drivers wave as they pass). The area is so seemly empty of humanity that it made my visiting Bergen County, NJ sister and her husband nervous, fearing that they had come to the end of the Earth. It is not quite the end of the Earth, but you can certainly see it by looking north.

Would I like to be closer? Sure! But I like to sail at the ends of the Earth, not live there.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD 36 Mariah Hull #124 - on the hard
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Tom Keevil

It Depends Where We Start

Post by Tom Keevil »

If we are at our cottage on Protection Island in Nanaimo, B.C., it takes 10 minutes to walk across the island to the passenger ferry, a 10 minute ferry ride to town, and a 15 min drive to the boat.

If we start from our home in Ashland, Oregon, it takes five hours to drive to our son's home in Portland where we spend the night. The next day takes about 12 hours (including a two-hour ferry trip across the Strait of Georgia).

The time to take off is wholly dependent upon how much stuff we need to lug down to the boat - so it ranges from a few minutes for a day sail to a couple of days for a trip of a few months.

Before moving the boat to Canada, we were a three hour beautiful drive to the boat on the Oregon Coast.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Post by johnny of STORK »

I guess we are at the extreme long end of the list. It is about a 16 hour drive (900 miles) to STORK. We only do it a couple of times a year, and usually stay for around 6-8 weeks.

Johnny
bottomscraper

Getting Underway - Checklist

Post by bottomscraper »

We have a checklist for getting underway and another for leaving the boat. I would guess that typically we take about 10 minutes to get underway. Our current drive is about 25 minutes, much better than our old drive of 2+ hours!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
barfwinkle

Poll

Post by barfwinkle »

Well, I am a bit curious to ask, so 1100 people have viewed this thread with 51 post (now 52) and only 81 people have voted in the Poll. Just in case you dont realize it, you need to click on my original post and the poll should be right there at the top.

Have a great day.
Bill Member #250.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Poll

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

barfwinkle wrote:Well, I am a bit curious to ask, so 1100 people have viewed this thread with 51 post (now 52) and only 81 people have voted in the Poll. Just in case you dont realize it, you need to click on my original post and the poll should be right there at the top.

Have a great day.
Because the "poll" is no longer working. And no, I can't fix it.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
barfwinkle

Opps

Post by barfwinkle »

I guess I only gave it 7 days or so huh! Sorry.....

You have to admit it would be interesting to know! C U Friday night at MacGregors! Save us a Crab Cake (or ten) and some "RUM"!
Bill Member #250.
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Do you want the walking or driving time?
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

25 minutes from car in the dooryard to sailing past the first nun, into Blue Hill Bay, two kids on board.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Live on boat and we can be off of the dock in about 15 minutes. Now if we want to sail the typhoon it is a 15 minute walk to the other side of the marina. but can be off the dock in no time at all.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven in Noank is a very consistent 50 minuets from the house. She is sitting in her winter slip right now and I will be traveling down to check on her tomorrow.

We kept her in Mattapoistte this summer and that was a 1 Hr and 50 Min drive. We thought we would be doing a bunch of week long trips. We did manage a few but we got a late start to the season and stuff just seemed to get in the way. I think we are going to try again next year. That distance pretty much eliminates days sails and even weekends.

I envy everyone of you that can look out from your home to see your boat, Steve.
barfwinkle

Ouch!!!!!

Post by barfwinkle »

Captain Montana that hurt (and I still don't have that autograph! :D )

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.