What do you do with the tiller at the end of the day???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: John Martin's knot

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:The knot is listed in knot books as a "scaffold hitch" or "scaffold lash.
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-tie-s ... 6039/view/
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks, Neil

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm not sure that's exactly the knot described so eloquently by Joe Montana. But, in any case, you'd omit that last square knot if using it to secure your tiller.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Montana
Member 781

The Martin Tiller Hitch

Post by Joe Montana »

I just received the following email from John Martin.

I'm happy to pass on the correct name for the knot we've been talking about, a solution to the mystery about its provenance -- and proper instructions about how to tie it. Thanks, John!

From John Martin 6/18/10:

Hi Joe,
Yes, it is me who developed the tiller hitch.
This knot is based on the scaffold hitch. Look in Ashley's Book of Knots under scaffold hitch.
Start in the middle of a line long enuf to span the width of the cockpit. Put 3 turns over the TOP of the tiller (very important to go over the TOP of the tiller). Put the aft turn between the other two turns. Put the new aft turn over the end of the tiller. This knot pulls the tiller from opposite sides.
Also, the tiller/scaffold hitch can be tied on two outside ends of a board or plank to make an emergency bosun seat.
Please put this on the CDSOA web site if you like.
Good luck!