Winter nautical reading

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

"Nelson" by Carola Oman

Post by Noel Heslop »

This is one of those books that you do not want to put down. I like my history written first hand, and this one is very close.

For those of us who like reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books, well I have an idea that Lord Nelson provided the original for some of the sea actions.

Nelson attended to detail, and practiced relentlessly with his Captains and crew for perfection. An real insight into the man, with all his many faults and magnificent strengths. The battles of the Nile and Copenhagen were practice runs for Trafalgar. I now know that Wellington shelled Copenhagen from land, while Napoleon attached from the sea. Terrible politics at the time for neutral Denmark. I needed to read both books to make this statement, as Nelson naturally only mentioned his actions.

To provide balance, I am now reading "The Life of Napoleon Bonaparte" by J.S.C. Abbott. The British side learnt at school is one sided, but then the victor always writes the history! Heavy going is this book. Only for the history buff.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

"Cochrane: The Real Master and Commander"

Post by Joe Myerson »

For those who are looking for real-life characters who probably inspired Patrick O'Brian, I'd recommend David Cordingly's Cochrane: The Real Master & Commander.

It's a fascinating story of a real character out of British naval history. In many ways, though, I think Lord Cochrane may have inspired C.S. Forester's Hornblower series at least as much as O'Brian's writings.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627