inflatable vs Solid dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marilou

"Self Bailing"

Post by marilou »

Self bailing can mean different things i.e. on a Sunfish, Laser, etc. it is a bailer that will drain while moving. A true self bailing boat is where the floor is higher than than the waterline, and it will drain while sitting...with the water draining out the stern, with the drain plug (above the waterline) open, or with like Cape Dorys the water drains thru cockpit scuppers below the waterline.
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Larger Pram Style Dinghy?

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

We love our Trinka but when we went to the Bahamas we found it rather difficult to reenter from the water when there was a motor on the back (we normally use the stern for reentry).

Since that experience we have been looking for a larger pram style dinghy so that we could have a semi-square bow with adequate buoyancy to facilitate reentry when the stern is occupied.

Question: Does anyone know of a professionally made fiberglass pram style dinghy that is about 7.5 feet long (most prams are shorter)???????

Thank you, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Inflatable vs Hard - Safety 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

With my 25D I have used a hard dingy for the 7 years I have owned her. Last summer my wife started going on short cruises with me (2-3) days in and around Buzzards Bay. Because she is not entirely comfortable re balance. I purchased a step to hang over the side to make the distance from center of the dingy to step shorter. This worked fine. But did not solve the problem of getting in and out of the dingy at a wharf or similar situation. She can't consistently get to the center of the dingy quickly enough to avoid a capsize or near capsize. So we basically have a disaster waiting to happen. So I obtained an old inflatable from a friend who bought a new one. For us the inherent in-water stability and safety it provides is what will preserve the cruising option for us a a couple. I think it will be the inflatable when it is husband and wife and the hard when it is me alone or with one other person. I think I will stick with the 25D for sometime longer - maybe forever and this is likely to be the solution.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
The Patriot

Re: Inflatable vs Hard - Safety 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Post by The Patriot »

Dick Kobayashi wrote: .. I think it will be the inflatable when it is husband and wife and the hard when it is me alone or with one other person. I think I will stick with the 25D for sometime longer - maybe forever and this is likely to be the solution.
My sentiments exactly. This "versus" argument parallels the national political scene, and, like that scene, provides more heat than light. Why not own both a hard and a soft little boat, and use one or the other when appropriate? Works for me.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Re: Inflatable vs Hard - Safety 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Dick Kobayashi wrote: can't consistently get to the center of the dingy quickly enough to avoid a capsize .
Try this. I tie a loop of line that runs through the oarlock on the dinghy and around a stanchion on the larger boat. If properly tied, the person entering the dinghy can actually stand on it's rail and then to the center of the dinghy without it tipping at all. The same can be done at a dock provided that the dock is higher than the rail of the dinghy and there is a board to tie onto. I have used this technique many times an have not had a problem yet.

Here is my entry into the 'perfect dinghy' contest. Ok it is not perfect, it weighs over 80 lb (have not measured it since the inclusion of the rails and varnish, oarlocks and bow eye. It is a pain to get over the edge of the boat and blocks the view a bit.

http://www.cawthorne.org/bpage.html
jerryaxler

inflatable or hard

Post by jerryaxler »

I've stayed out of this thread because in order to explain my reasons, I would have to admit a foolish act. I managed to hit a fisherman in a small john boat off of Fisher's Island on a clear beautiful August day. My view was obstructed by the dinghy stored on the cabin roof. Little damage to the boats except for a broken fishing pole which I payed for and severe damage to my ego. While towing a dink on both the Chesapeake and in Maine, I was struck by a t-storm and had the pleasure of dealing with an out of control dink( read sea anchor) at the same time as trying to control Shana in 50-60 knot winds. Both times I had the radio on and was traveling close to the western shore and the land hid the view of the oncoming storms. Of course NOAA warned of the storms about 10 minutes after they struck.
It only takes a 2x4 struck smartly to my noggin to get my attention, so the standing orders are now to blow and stow when making a move of any appreciable distance. I have a quick low pressure electric air pump that allows us to blow up the dinghy with minimum effort in less than 3 minutes. Stowage by deflation is almost as quick.
Therefore, my vote is for the inflatable with it's ease of stowage. The con is that it does need an outboard, but we solved the problem of moving a heavy object in a bouncing anchorage by installing a small crane with block and tackle attached
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

This is Bandolera's Caribe 8 ft. RIB. Tows perfectly. I can step off the boat easily into one of the side tubes and then step down into the rigid floor. She's powered by a 4-stroke 4 hp Yamaha outboard which lives on the stern pulpit. I use a Forspar lift to place and retrieve the outboard to and from the dinghy, with minor problem. I always tow her. She is too heavy for me to pull it up to the foredeck. I love it. She also rows adequately well. It's me who is a lousy rower.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Len

Redundancy avoids commitment

Post by Len »

Redundancy avoids commitment
I too own a hard tender (Trinka) and an inflatable. My inflatable lives in the basement. I live in Maine and the problem of entering the dink from the water isn't a problem, as I rarely (intentionally) go into the water.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Big E
Salem, MA

Zodiac

Post by Big E »

After much consideration I went out & bought an 8' Zodiac w/ Nissan 2.5 outboard. Thank you to all for your opinions & helping me decide. Happy sailing to all!