Message from webmaster re: Problems with the message board

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

christhemacguy

Re: Message from webmaster re: Problems with the message boa

Post by christhemacguy »

Hello,

I just joined in February/March and have no idea about what is going on, as I have no access to the Masthead article among other things. Something about reorg?

How may I assist?

I have skills in providing computer tech support and network setup.

Christopher Raphael
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The database is 23 Gb.
jackb wrote:Kathrine,

Please provide me with a backup of the database and the phpbb directory.

John
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

For anyone who would like to take over managing the CD Message Board:

1. You must be a CDSOA member.
2. You should be willing to take care of the message board as an unpaid volunteer.
3. You need to know MySQL, PHP & Linux.
4. It wouldn't hurt to be familiar with the phpBB software.

Our current version of phpBB is very out-dated at version 3.0.10. And the database is very large. Software updates are very time-consuming and can be difficult. If you're familiar with phpBB software, then you can tell, just be looking at this page, that quite a few mods have been applied which adds to its complexity.

The combination of out-dated phpBB software and the ISP keeping their software, mainly MySQL, up-to-date has resulted in the issues we are experiencing now. Bob has done his best to attempt to upgrade the phpBB software to no avail. If he had more time he could probably make it work, but neither of us can do anything at this point. Our busy life/work schedules makes it impossible.

If you want to take on this project, let me know via email as I seldom read any of the posts on the message board. You can send an email to me at: webmaster@capedory.org
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay