Interesting Boats

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wikakaru

Re: Interesting Boats

Post by wikakaru »

The schooner Angelique sails out of the fog near The Sugar Loaves, Fox Islands Thorofare, Maine, June, 2018.

--Jim
IMG_6738a.JPG
IMG_6738a.JPG (199.07 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Skive is the upward angle of the boom. You tend to see it more in on older boats with long booms. Keeps the end of the boom out of the water when reaching and running. It can also look lovely with a raked mast. For some good examples take a look at British pilot cutters and the Pride of Baltimore. Or just scroll up and take a look at the picture of Vela.
I think this is the word you are looking for. I found it in the Nautical Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1963 by Arthur Young:

STEEVE. A bowsprit steeves more or less according is it is elevated more or less from the horizontal. The Steeve is the angle which it makes with the horizon. (Dana's Seaman's Manual.)

--Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote:Skive is the upward angle of the boom. You tend to see it more in on older boats with long booms. Keeps the end of the boom out of the water when reaching and running. It can also look lovely with a raked mast. For some good examples take a look at British pilot cutters and the Pride of Baltimore. Or just scroll up and take a look at the picture of Vela.
I think this is the word you are looking for. I found it in the Nautical Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1963 by Arthur Young:

STEEVE. A bowsprit steeves more or less according is it is elevated more or less from the horizontal. The Steeve is the angle which it makes with the horizon. (Dana's Seaman's Manual.)

--Jim
Well...it’s possible. Who knows. I kind of like skive. LOL. Maybe it’s just a stonerism.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here's a boat I find really interesting: the 22' schooner Mercury. She is certainly the smallest, and also the only undecked schooner I've ever seen. You can't tell from my photo that she's undecked, but this article from the local online newspaper has a photo that shows some of the inside of the hull: https://www.penbaypilot.com/article/roc ... els/126273.

In this photo, taken in August, 2019, Mercury sails past Rockland Harbor Lighthouse.

--Jim
IMG_3366a.JPG
IMG_3366a.JPG (159.5 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

wikakaru wrote: I found it in the Nautical Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1963 by Arthur Young:
That should read 1863. I edited my original post but for some reason the change isn't appearing.
--Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Jim
That is a great photo. Perfectly framed. Beautiful. And what a truly interesting boat. A lovely transom—kind of reminds me of the 12M Intrepid. Cool story. Abandoned in a field for a decade. Neil Parker sounds like an interesting and capable character.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The 31-foot Finnish Hai-class sloop "Mako" beats out into West Penobscot Bay, July 2020.

--Jim
DSC_2063a.JPG
DSC_2063a.JPG (366.34 KiB) Viewed 993 times
DSC_2074a.JPG
DSC_2074a.JPG (511.71 KiB) Viewed 993 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim,
More great photos. I don't know how you could improve them. Good to see folks are out sailing. Can you add anything about the boat or some interesting tidbits when you took the photos? What do you like about the photos?

Thanks for posting. Anyone else have photos to share?
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Jim,
More great photos. I don't know how you could improve them. Good to see folks are out sailing. Can you add anything about the boat or some interesting tidbits when you took the photos? What do you like about the photos?

Thanks for posting. Anyone else have photos to share?
Thanks, John. It's easy to take good photos when the subjects are so beautiful to begin with. The boats do all the work for me.

I too would love to see what photos other members of this forum can come up with.

Because few boats are out sailing this year I am digging into my archives for many of the shots I am posting. This summer I have only seen 2 or 3 schooners and a few small classic yachts in total; in a typical summer I might be able to see 2 or 3 at any given time on any given day. A few days ago I was in Rockland, Maine, and saw that most of the schooner fleet still has their winter shrink-wrap covers on. All the classic events have been canceled this year--the Friendship Sloop Rendezvous, the Camden Classic Regatta, and the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta. It's slim pickings for boat photography this year. My hope is that next year all the boats I usually see will return to the water with renewed enthusiasm, but my fear is that this will be the death blow that finishes many dreams and projects that were already teetering on the edge of viability. But enough about all that.

The photos I am posting were taken in passing as we sailed our many boats over the years. For some I have never met their owners so I can add little; others are locals who I know or at least see regularly and can add a bit more information. I will try to provide more details as I post more photos...that is, if people want to see more.

Smooth sailing,

--Jim
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I was down at the boatyard this morning preparing the FR for the inbound TS Isaias. I saw the 50’ MV Rebel just hauled out and being set down on her jack stands. She is an Elco Flat Top Commuter Yacht. Built in 1928.

If you’re interested, here is a link to read a little more about her.

https://www.rebelelco.com/gallery

They don’t make them like that any more. Very narrow with a long waterline. Beautiful lines. Interestingly there is a bit of a resurgence of interest in this design style. You can see it in Steve Dashew’s FPB design and if you dig a little he references it in his description. The Sundeer line of narrow fast sailboats seems to show it too. Want a new idea, read an old book.
Attachments
71AA49C4-C870-4899-9CDF-1166F4B7AC3B.jpeg
71AA49C4-C870-4899-9CDF-1166F4B7AC3B.jpeg (866.95 KiB) Viewed 966 times
F369F550-8CF8-42FA-B7C3-B42EFAEAD74B.jpeg
F369F550-8CF8-42FA-B7C3-B42EFAEAD74B.jpeg (714.19 KiB) Viewed 966 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

With nearly every adult in the world, and most kids I might add, carrying a phone with a camera is this really all the pictures of interesting boats we can collectively post? :cry:
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Last year I met Harley, Jen, and their daughter Sophia in Bermuda. They were completing a multi-year circumnavigation aboard their Sundeer “Kailani”. A great, and fast, passage maker. I was invited aboard for dinner one evening. I mentioned that Orion would comfortably fit in their main salon.....with room to spare. Harley is the grandson of the legendary styling chief of the Corvette, Harley Earl.

This photo was taken as Kailani was leaving St. George’s on 6/15/19, headed for Newport
Attachments
A2426106-06C2-438A-A89A-E6CA9D9560FC.jpeg
A2426106-06C2-438A-A89A-E6CA9D9560FC.jpeg (263.68 KiB) Viewed 948 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Ok. Y’all twisted my arm. Here is another boat.

This is a very cool boat. She is also in the boatyard. She is called Cherokee. She is a wood Huckins 65 Fairform Flyer and was built in 1948. She has twin Rolls Royce water jets. Look how flat the bottom is and how shallow the draft! She looks fast and is ideally suited to operate in the shallow waters of Pamlico Sound. I really admire that 1940s and 50s design style. Most modern power yachts don’t have lines anywhere near that lovely.
Attachments
2C728DBF-BA5E-4868-8EBA-CF23BFE154C8.jpeg
2C728DBF-BA5E-4868-8EBA-CF23BFE154C8.jpeg (222.23 KiB) Viewed 948 times
86F8F887-161D-4B97-818A-6A173DDCF024.jpeg
86F8F887-161D-4B97-818A-6A173DDCF024.jpeg (330.64 KiB) Viewed 948 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

I fear you have been seduced by the dark side, John. First you install an engine into a perfectly good sailboat, and now you are posting glowing photos of...POWER boats. I must restore some balance to the force.

Here is the 35-foot (LOD) Friendship sloop Sazerac sailing in Rockland Harbor, Maine during the 2019 Friendship Sloop Homecoming Regatta. Sazerac was built by Wilbur A. Morse, one of the premier builders (some would say THE premier builder) of Friendship sloops, in 1913.

If you are not familiar with Friendship sloops, they are often called the "original Maine lobster boat". Before there were engines in boats, this type of craft was used for lobster fishing. They were considered well-suited for that purpose because one man could handle the boat by himself, hauling lobster traps under sail. They had low freeboard, making hauling traps easier, were stable, and had lots of room for carrying traps and catch. With topsails and jibs set they could be "wicked fast" even in a light breeze. Once gasoline power replaced sail power for fishing, these boats were converted to yachts for the wealthy "rusticators" who summered in Maine. The conversion usually involved adding a cabin and interior to the boat, and cutting down the rig from a prodigious powerhouse to the more stunted rig like the one that Sazerac now flies.

My wife and I were fortunate to be invited aboard the Friendship sloop Tannis during the regatta, and we took this photo of Sazerac from Tannis during the regatta.

--Jim
IMG_2566a.JPG
IMG_2566a.JPG (175.42 KiB) Viewed 943 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on that! :D

Powerboats out number sailboats here 10:1. And most sailboats here are modern uninspiring designs. There is a lot of wood powerboat building going on in these parts. Mostly composite strip built sport fishing boats along with traditional wood commercial trawlers and shrimpers. We have a maritime museum though with some lovely sharpie designs displayed.

Truth be told I love all boosts. If it floats and has nice lines I am inspired.

The boatyard is packed due to the hurricane. Headed out to check on the Far Reach.

P.S. That’s a beautiful friendship sloop. You are also an outstanding photographer.