Hurricane Florence

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Of all the photos John S. has posted the one I am most struck by is the photo of sailboats on the same dock as John who still have canvas on (mains and genoas). That is mind boggling.

I have seen many photos after hurricanes in South Florida (we pass them around like baby photos are passed around). The damage done to sailboats with canvas on is amazing. Even worse is the damage done to other innocent sailboats whose owners have removed all canvas, doubled up all lines with quality 3 strand (like John S.), etc. They can easily be destroyed by a sailboat whose genoa easily catches wind (there is a lot to go around during a hurricane) and winds up on top of an innocent sailboat.

At our sailing club, we have rules. Remove ALL canvas; no exceptions. Once a hurricane watch is announced for the club's mooring area all sailboats MUST evacuate. Go wherever you want; just get the he[double hockey sticks] out of the mooring field. With the rarest of exceptions, all our the club's owners remove all canvas early.

I ain't no lawyer (still working on my high school GED) but I bet a good lawsuit for damages could be made for the guys who kept their canvas on their sailboats if those boats then ended up damaging other sailboats.

Godspeed John Stone :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Gayle and I made it back down to the Marina at 1830 even though the base is shut down. The water depth on my my dock is now chest high. Water is still pouring in. Wind about 50 knots. Apparently the truck in the parking lot belongs to someone in TX. Look at the photo of the breaking surf near the Navy Small Boat HQ. That is the channel we use to get to the Neuse River. We are forecasted for another 3’-6’ of surge.

The boats all seem to be there. Hard to know their condition. I could not wade through that water, even with the safety line we rigged along the length of the dock, when there was nothing I could do for the Far Reach. So I watched from a grassy knoll and spied my brave ship bouncing about at the end of the long dock. I said a prayer for her and wished her well. We drove back to the BOQ in the howling wind and pouring rain. It’s going to be a long night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Amen Roberto.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I think this may be bad news for both NC and SC. NHC/NOAA now has Florence moving at 6 mph. It is so slow that they show negligible movement for the 24 hour Friday cycle. So negligible that they do not even mark it on their most current chart.

A large storm with very high winds that moves fast (like Hurricane Andrew) is very bad. A very large storm with moderate hurricane winds (100-115 mph) that moves SLOW is very, very, very bad. Storm surge will continue through at least 2 tide cycles as I think I understand it. Wide spread flooding. The coastline from at least Morehead City, NC, south to Charleston, SC, is going to get pounded tonight, all day Friday, and most of Saturday. Florence is basically going to plant herself at the coast for 36-48 hours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Florence made landfall less than 1 hour ago at Wrightsville Beach, NC, which is very close to Wilmington. At landfall Florence had 90 mph sustained winds.

I believe John S. said his residence was about 50 nm NE of Wilmington. If so, John is right now getting the "dirty side" of Florence with very high winds and the danger of tornadoes spawning from the dirty side. Because Florence is moving so slow west at 6 mph, John and the others in that area will be dealing with this all day today and into tonight.

The only "good news" if there can be such a thing in a hurricane like Florence, is that the winds are "only" at 90 mph. Florence was projected to make landfall as a strong Cat. 4 with sustained winds of 130-140 mph. Given her size, that would have been beyond catastrophic.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Update 0955 14 Sept 18
Worst is over but still a lot of wind—25-45 and gusty here at MCAS Cherry Point (on the south bank of the Neuse River, 10 miles west of Oriental NC. Lots of rain now. Ground saturated. Trees will continue to fall for some time. Cell phone coverage degraded. Will have to post pics later.

We are conducting split operations. Kids are at home with sister (retired San Diego Fire Captain). They report gust to 50 this morning and lots of trees down too there. Power out over wide areas.

We heard trees coming down around the BOQ last night. Lots of trees down on base. We were able to make coffee on camp stove this morning—don’t tell BOQ management! Drastic situations call for drastic actions. AKA never ask for a yes from someone only empowered to say no. So we are good to go.

Tried to get to boat 30 min ago but road blocked by the trees. Power lines down but none across the road.

Oriental towndock.net shows surge dropping. We need to get to boat soon since water is dropping. Will attempt again when we feel it’s safe to do so. Base FD out cutting trees to clear roads.

Water moccasins and alligators (we have a cluster down near the marina) are probably displaced so we need to watch out for them.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Update 1600 14 Sept 2018

All, Gayle and I managed to make it down to the marina at 1130. We had to walk the last 1/4 mile as there were many big trees down over the road. The wind was still blowing 30-40 knots with a few lulls and a few gusts I think may have been over 60 knots.There was a lot of devastation. All three docks are intact.

The good news: the Far Reach is afloat and miraculously appears undamaged.

There are two boats at a minimum missing. At least three boats are sunk. Five boats are up on the docks. One boat has its stern up on the dock. Several boats are in different slips and beat to hell.

The marina is a mess. At the start of the dock I crawled under the keel of a 34’ boat sitting fully atop the dock. It was at a right angle across the dock. I waded out to the Far Reach which is at the end of the dock. I was greatly relieved and shocked to see she looks to be in perfect condition. I took in some slack on the lines as the water level is about at 5-6’ of surge. For those other boats to float over the dock the surge must have have been close to 10+ feet. The starboard forward diagonal came untied lose but I don’t think that line was ever under strain. One of the doubled port side aft diagonals frayed with one of the three strands breaking—the chafing guard came off.

We did what we could for boats and made our way back through the downed trees to our truck and returned to the BOQ. I’m beat. I have been worried all week and so relieved the FR, against all odds, is OK.

Will make another run down before dark.

More to follow.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

Congratulations :!: S/V Far Reach is safe because of your efforts. It was not "against all odds". You substantially increased the chances and the odds for your results with your preparation. That lone cowling on the starboard quarter is funny :!:

Seeing the photo of the mast sticking out of the water is heartbreaking. I am hopeful you will learn what caused the sinking. In South Florida sailboats that sink at the dock during a hurricane are generally damaged by being pounded into a piling or a neighbor sailboat and the hull is severely damaged with one or more large gashes. Hard to take.

Anyways, congrats :!: :D

Take the evening off; have a Guinness and prepare to report for duty at 0600 hrs, Saturday. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great news, John. Thanks for posting the updates. Be very careful on land and in the water. Some downed lines may be live, as are the water moccasins and the gators.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Roberto. I feel very lucky.
Jim Walsh wrote:Great news, John. Thanks for posting the updates. Be very careful on land and in the water. Some downed lines may be live, as are the water moccasins and the gators.
Roger that Jim.

A couple more pics.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

That's absolutely amazing, that your boat survived with so little damage, John. The credit goes to you for your prep and to
the man upstairs for a little divine luck. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Good news John!
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

John,
As one who lost his beloved CD27 in a storm in 2015 when someone else’s boat broke her mooring line, blew down on my boat, and gutted the hull and rigging of Sine Qua Non, I congratulate you in having the sea gods on your side this day.

To this day I feel terrible that a great boat was sent to her demise in such a manner. The only reason I can sleep nights is because I had absolutely nothing to do with her demise.

Again, congrats on not having to deal with the nightmare!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

I'll raise a glass to you and the Far Reach on S/v Gabrielle up here on the Chesapeake, John. Job well done so far, stay safe.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Well done John. Far Reach could not ask for a better care taker. You are an inspiration. Carl Alberg is looking down on you with great appreciation.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27