I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Re: I bought a Typhoon and found it has the wrong mast :^(

Post by trapper »

You are in Maryland. I am not sure where in Maryland. Matt, some one help me here-- in Irvington, Va-- there are lots of Tys. You have a trailer. You may want to consider taking it down there and letting some old hands see what they think.
billsimmeth

Post by billsimmeth »

I don't think that there's a huge mystery here. I can't imagine that the title was faked with an accurate Cape Dory HIN number. It's a Ty Weekender, hull number 1402, built in '77. The only mystery in my mind is why the spars were changed. My guess is that the boat either lost many parts during a long period of storage or perhaps given the Florida location, the amount of paint on the hull and changes here and there it was a salvage project from storm damage. Either way, the restorer probably just used spars that were readily accessible to him (i.e.; lying about in the yard) rather than purchase authentic replacements.
Bill Simmeth - Delaplane, VA
TyWe 1176 "Whisper" - Fishing Bay, VA

Only dead fish go with the flow.
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

billsimmeth wrote:I don't think that there's a huge mystery here. I can't imagine that the title was faked with an accurate Cape Dory HIN number. It's a Ty Weekender, hull number 1402, built in '77. The only mystery in my mind is why the spars were changed. ...
I suspect that is right, but clearly done by someone with a lot of time and/or money given the changes to the chainplates, bow, etc.

Regardless, if the current owner is interested, the Rappahannock River Yacht Club as well as Custom Yachts in Irvington are both meccas for Ty experts, if the current owner was motivated to get other people to look at it.

But as has been suggested by others and depending on the intended use, I'd either push back on the seller for some compensation and/or use it and see how it does.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Hi all,

I am happy to say that the dealer has pitched in roughly 2/3 of my estimated replacement part costs. he has been excellent through this whole thing, and if anyone needs to sell a boat in Palm Harbor look him up: Craig Starns at Ross Yachts

Here is a link to some pictures of the odd bits. Any idea on what I might find under that tabernacle?
http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/shhiggins/library/

Turns out my father in law has a friend who worked for along time at Dodson's in CT, so I think I might see if I can give him a call...

Steve
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

In looking at the most recent photos you posted, especially the one of the bow and bow stem, etc., I think the experts on this board may now say this is probably not a Ty Weekender. The starboard and port fairleads do not look like any Ty Weekender fairleads I have ever seen. Also, the stem attachment for the head stay does not look like a Ty Weekender. Finally, the starboard rub rail is the wrong shape and size for a Ty Weekender. The rub rail may have been replaced. Unlikely the bow stem and fairleads were replaced.

Also, it could be a Ty Weekender hull and had substantial damage from weather or storms and was rebuilt by a very skilled shipwright who used materials available to him.

There are some true experts on this board who will look at the photos and tell you for certain. I am just guessing. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

I was just re-reading all the posts on this topic. I love mystery novels :!: :D

I just saw your post that gave your hull number as CPDD1402M77G.

My Ty Weekender was Hull Number 1400, built in 1977. The bow fairleads and bow stem are very, very different from mine. Of this I am very sure. I know Cape Dory Yachts changed things as they went along but I think it unlikely that there were such significant changes as described in between only 3 hulls (1400 - 1402).

I am now willing to bet the substantial sum of $.25 that this is a Cape Dory hull (thus the hull number, etc.) but with substantial "modifications", etc. caused by either prior storm damage, lack of use/care while sitting out in weather, the personal vagaries of a prior owner, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Assuming that this is indeed a Ty (after all, it would be a verrrry special kind of criminal to conterfeit one), any idea what I might find under that tabernacle?

Also, the closeup is of a split in the cabin hatch - any advice on how to fill it? I was thinking of mixing up some epoxy and adding colorant....

Thanks for all the great comments,

Steve
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Steve,

I would expect to find some old 5200 sealant, five holes, and the cabin top, but being this is not a Ty part, there may be a surprise, but I doubt it.

Epoxy would do the job on the hatch. Its hard to gauge the size of the cracks by the pics, but they look noticeable, so you may instead take a few extra steps to minimize the look of the repair. You could break a piece of teak, and then select a splinter that is similarly shaped to the splits, but taller. Then epoxy it into each split. Once this is cured, you would sand the part that is taller than the hatch so it is flat. Then fill any remaining crevices with epoxy mixed with teak sawdust. Sand and finish the whole hatch.

I am glad the seller/dealer did you right. Bottom line is the boat appears to have been repaired to respectable, albeit different, standards. As with other Tys, I suspect she will be a joy to sail.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I for one am now very curious about what this modified rig looks like when it's all set up, and how it actually sails. Someone clearly put a lot of effort into the whole thing, including adding a third shroud on each side, and it would be very interesting to see what the results were. Any plans to try it out?

I have seen one or two older references on this board to people taking Typhoons out into the Gulf or to the Bahamas, and since the boat was in Florida I wonder if this could have been an effort to beef up the rig for something like that.

There should be an Ancestry.com for boats. I would love to know where all mine has been in her day.
shhiggins

Post by shhiggins »

Hi all,

I am pretty fixed on the idea of putting a proper mast on Kaylee - or rather Caili, which not only is lovely-looking word but is a very nice double entendre indeed. And the admiral agrees! Oswego John: I tip my hat to you for that, and if we ever meet I will happily buy you that double mocha latte. Or a beer, your choice.

I'd also like to thank Sally Perreten for telling me about Dodson's Yard up in Connecticut. I talked to one of the guys there this afternoon who told me that the owner of the unfortunate Ty in back of the yard owed storage fees and basically said 'keep the boat instead'. He described the hull as in 'really bad shape' which coming from a boatyard guy probably means horrible. I don't know yet if they'll be able to hook me up with a mast but he seemed amenable to the idea. Here's hoping! I was feeling like a grave robber until my wife noted the unfortunate boat would be more like an organ donor, which made me feel slightly better. Still, it is sad to think of such a beatiful boat falling to pieces.

And Hutch_north mentioned that the chainplates may need to be moved - where in relation to the mast should they be?

A question too about the split backstay - is there anything inherent to the design that would preclude using one with an otherwise standard Ty rig? I was thinking that making it adjustable might be a nice feature.

And I've decide to not try to sail her as is. Two shrouds have split swaging and I'd rather put the money into a new rig than replacing them. Also the sails are truly beat, particularly the jib. It seems that the previous owner did not put spreader boots on, nor did he notice that the seizing wire on the starboard spreader had a big 'ol hook hanging off it - with predicatble results. And it looks like he'd tacked two or three times before he noticed that the poor jib was being shredded...

All and all I am thinking this is going to end beautifully. Instead of a sawn off beat up stubby rig with wilted sails I will have totally new sails and rigging. Tanbark sails, at that! It's going to be great, and worth the wait.

All the best to all,

Steve
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you do pick up the mast from Dobsons be sure to have them take off the tabernacle for you too.

The hard part is going to be figuring out the proper length of your rigging wires. Even if you get the old rigging with the mast, it might not help that much. It seems like all of you attachment points on the hull have been changed. You could use the old wires to determine how much longer or shorter the new ones should be, so you will want them as well.

I would be sailing this season and work on changing things this winter, Steve.
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

Concerning chain plate location, length of shrouds, etc., I do not know, but I do recall seeing a Typhoon Owners or rigging manual somewhere along the way - perhaps on this web site. The manual I saw had lots of good information and specs, perhaps even lengths and measurements. Another thought is that Robinhood, or whoever now owns the forms or molds for the Ty Weekender could provide useful info. And finally, When I had an O'Day, a supplier listed on the web site had the exact specs for a new set of shrouds and stays - I wonder if one of the vendors listed here might have that information.

Good luck and good sailing!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Since you are getting spare parts from the old beat up Ty - try to scavenge as many parts from it as you can - either you or comeone on the board might need something. For example, the cleats and winches, chain plates, stern cleat and chock and even the jib track, bullseye and cleat. All are easily removed and otherwise hard to find items. Also, check out the tiller, cockpit lazarette hatches and even the teak companionway boards. The pins in the chocks in the bow fitting are also hard to find. While you are at it, measure the distance from the mast step to the bow where the forestay is attached as well as to the back stay attachment point on both boats before you order new shriouds and stays.
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Our Ty is just off the Dodson docks and you are welcome to measure anything you want on her. The launch will take you out (tip the driver). Boat's name is Echo. Kappa sails in Westbrook is the sailmaker favored by local Ty sailors and we ordered our CDI curler through them, if I recall. I think they would have all kinds of measurements, if you can't find them here or on Echo. If you want to board Echo we will alert the yard so they know it's all copacetic.
Sally
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

John, is the proper spelling now not ceili? Not caili. I believe.
Sally