New message board software coming soon.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: A week to play and comment on the new board.....

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bobdugan wrote:That was a strange problem. One thing we know is that for security reasons HTML is not supported on the new board. That doesn't explain why your double quotes aren't working though. Anyway I edited the signature and it looks ok to me now.

When we do the move to the new board, the signature will reset again so remind me and I'll make the fix again.
Bob:

Thank you very much for your assistance. As you may know, I am a very big fan of "HTMLs" although my understanding of an "HTML" may be a little different than yours. Either way, all HTMLs should be fully supported at all times - regardless of their intended use. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

It is lousy weather in Miami so plans to work on S/V Bali Ha'i are canceled.

Instead, I have been trying to learn about the new board.

In doing so, something happened yesterday that was strange.

I was logged in to the "old" CDSOA board and also, apparently, logged in to the "new and improved" CDSOA board at the same time.

While looking at recent posts in the "old" CDSOA board I saw a post in the "Buy and Sell" asking if anyone knew of a Cape Dory 22D for sale. I responded to the post using the "old" CDSOA board and referenced a Yachtworld website location that had a CD 22D for sale. I posted at approximately 1100 hours Tuesday morning.

Last night at about 2100 hours I happened to be on the "old" CDSOA board again (I am more comfortable with things that are "worn in a little") and saw that my post from 1100 hours was not on the board (presumably deleted :?: ). I reposted the website location, etc. last night.

I am wondering why the earlier post I made was deleted :?: Was it because I accidentally was "logged" in on both the "old" and the "new" CDSOA boards at the same time :?:

Inquiring minds are anxious to discover the cause, if any.

On a more serious note, once the "new" board becomes "operational" does this mean the "old" board will be closed down - that is, we can no longer post to the "old" board :?:

I know you guys have better things to do than answering my silly questions - for which I apologize. But, like I said, it is lousy weather and I am stuck with nothing much to do. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

web site moved to new server yesterday....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Our ISP moved our web site to a new server yesterday. Your post probably didn't make it from the old to the new. I wouldn't worry about it. Just post it again.

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
bobdugan

Re: Thank you, and fixed AVG warnings, too

Post by bobdugan »

Duncan wrote:
Russell wrote:
Duncan wrote:...
Could we have increased storage for private messages?
I second the request for more storage!
Bumping this up and hoping for a response from the technical team.
Please?
Duncan... what do you think is a reasonable # of private messages?
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Storage quotas for private messages

Post by Duncan »

bobdugan wrote:Duncan... what do you think is a reasonable # of private messages?
Hi Bob - I think the quota could be generous here, since there is hardly any cost attached to the storage of private messages?

I currently have only 41 messages stored in the Inbox, yet it says it is "82% full". I assume that ratio implies a limit of 50.

Russell suggested 4X the current limit, and that seems pretty reasonable to me, too.
bobdugan

Re: Storage quotas for private messages

Post by bobdugan »

Duncan wrote:
bobdugan wrote:Duncan... what do you think is a reasonable # of private messages?
Hi Bob - I think the quota could be generous here, since there is hardly any cost attached to the storage of private messages?

I currently have only 41 messages stored in the Inbox, yet it says it is "82% full". I assume that ratio implies a limit of 50.

Russell suggested 4X the current limit, and that seems pretty reasonable to me, too.
Sounds good to me.
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Thanks

Post by Duncan »

bobdugan wrote:Sounds good to me.
Thanks, Bob, I'm sure this will be appreciated.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Storage quotas for private messages

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

bobdugan wrote:
Duncan wrote:

Sounds good to me.
There's no need to keep pms for perpetuity. Read'em. Reply to'em. Get rid of'em.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

I do send and receive quite a few PMs. I am aware that my In Box can contain 50 PMs. My first question is:

"How many PMs can I store in my Save Box?"

Allowing that my In Box can hold 50 PMs, my second question is:

"If my In Box is filled up with 50 PMs, what happens if someone sends me my 51st PM? Is it rejected, or is the last PM at the bottom of the list bumped off to make room for the new PM? Or what else happens otherwise?

I suppose that if necessary, I could store the most important PMs on a disc, ( or can't I? )

Just wondering in snowy, wintery Oswego.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Posting a Photo

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cathy, Bob, Ray, Bill and all other IT tech geeks (and I use that term with the greatest possible respect, admiration and awe :D )

I tried to post a photo on the new website the other day and ran into a "snag". Here is what I did.

I located a photo of S/V Bali Ha'i on my computer hard drive. I had taken a series of photos when she arrived in Miami. I used a Kodak plastic "throw away" camera (27 shots). I bought a CD disc from the local CVS store when I had the film developed and I had loaded the CD disc onto my computer's hard drive.

After logging in to the new CDSOA website I went to this thread and hit "Reply". At the bottom of the computer screen I clicked on the box that said "browse" and found the photo on my computer's hard drive I wanted to use. I clicked on the photo to "copy" it and then went to the new CDSOA website to insert it into my new post. I then clicked on the box that said "Add the file". After a minute or so I was rejected :!: :oops: Ashamed and embarrassed at being rejected I tried it a 2nd time and was again rejected. :oops: Now completely ashamed, I looked at the screen and noticed that at the top it said in big red letters (more embarrassment :cry: ) "file is too big; maximum allowed is 256 KiBs" or something similar.

After an hour of severe depression, ameliorated only by the consumption of 2 Guinness, I went back to my computer and looked at the photo on my hard drive. When it describes size it says "707 KBs". Not sure if "KiB" is the same as "KB".

The photos I took were with a cheap Kodak throw away camera. They were not professional photos and do not have a lot of detail. I doubt they are too "large" for the new website

I assume I must be doing something wrong.

Any thoughts :?:

If your image files or photos are too big (over 256K) you'll need to edit them to lower their resolution as well as the physical dimensions before they can be uploaded.

Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Robert- sounds like you did everything right, the pics are too big. It doesn't matter the camera was a throw away, they probably scan all the film pics at the same resolution whether they come from a nikonos, or a one time use.
Oswego John

I Agree

Post by Oswego John »

Robert,

I agree with Markst95. A great many of the pictures in my file (read shoe box) are prints that were developed fron pics taken with a CVS cheapie.

I'm not about to argue the finer comparison points between a professional photographer's camera(s) and something I picked up at Walgreens Rx. I am saying that there are many fine pics shown on the board that were taken with cheap cameras.

Personally, my untrained eye cannot tell much difference between pictures taken by cheap and expensive cameras. I'm more interested in checking out someone elses boat or whatever. I'm about the last one on this board to offer a critique of pics.

I congratulate you and all other tyro picture submitters for being able to at least see and select a picture that appears on your computer screen. The rest is all downhill from here on in. All it takes is a little tweaking here and there and vwah-lah.

Hang in there Robert, good things are about to happen.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Oswego John

Picture Size

Post by Oswego John »

It's Monday morning. Life is good here in NY. Yesterday "Big Blue", the NY Giants, trounced the Green Bay Packers on their march towards the Super Bowl. Hmmm, Tom Brady, what are we going to do with him?

But getting back to pictures, as many of you know, I'm not too swift with computers. Being fluent in Computerese is not one of my strong suits. One of the best things I did was to sign on with one of the companies that process pictures.

I now use Picasa for processing my pictures. It is free and uses no advertising. Once it is installed, it senses every picture in my computer and handles everything for me.

When I select a picture to submit, Picasa displays a link. After I click on the link, several options are displayed. One of them is picture size. I can choose five different sizes from thumbnail to large, with three other intermediate sizes to choose from.

This bit of info might prove to be helpful to some of the readers.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ and Mark (and Cathy, Bob and Ray):

Thanks very much for your input. However, how is possible that my pixs are "too big" :?: They are standard CVS Pharmacy prints with a CD of same. I have looked at photos recently posted on the new CDSOA board and they look a lot more detailed than the ones I got from CVS Pharmacy. If these other photos are not "too big" how is possible mine are "too big" :?: :?: :?:

Assuming they are "too big", is there any way to temporarily "shrink" the ones I have (for the young ladies reading this post - I am only talking about the photos :wink: ) so that I can post these photos on the "new and improved" CDSOA website?

As always, your helpful suggestions and comments are always welcome - even if they are not totally understood by this Neanderthal computer user. :oops:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Size Matters

Post by Randy Capstick »

Hi Robert,
Try this...

From a picture on your computer, Right click(with your mouse) on the picture, select edit tab, then select picture tab, then the re-size tab. Now in the re-size settings, select predefined width and height to a smaller size...say 640 x 480 pixels or 1024 x 768 pixels. Select OK and the picture is re-sized smaller.

This is all using Microsoft windows picture manager. I hope it helps.

Randy
Last edited by Randy Capstick on Jan 16th, '12, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.