You know the adage about approaching a dock no faster...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Edson answered my request for info with a suggestion to use a wire rope clamp mounted on the cable near the engine (similar to the cable brake). I am reluctant to torture the cable by crimping it even ever so slightly. The friction screw that John recommended is probably the best idea, but I would have to disassemble part of what I just assembled.

I intend to try wedging something (o-ring, rubber wrap) between the throttle handle's shaft and the body of the binnacle. If it works, I'll let you know.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where maintenance is a way of life. Mine anyway.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
John Danicic

It doesn't take much

Post by John Danicic »

Mitch:

It doesn't take much pressure from the screw or a clamp to give the resistance needed. Certainly not enough to crimp the internal wire.

The wire rope clamp is probably the best idea for ease of installation. Or maybe a small, wide hose clamp will work. Nice adjustment screw to get just the right pressure. I adjusted mine so that the cable holds at just above my normal operational speeds. Anything higher tends to slip downward guarding against over revving.

You are almost there.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
M. R. Bober

Re: It doesn't take much

Post by M. R. Bober »

John Danicic wrote:Mitch:

It doesn't take much pressure from the screw or a clamp to give the resistance needed. Certainly not enough to crimp the internal wire.

The wire rope clamp is probably the best idea for ease of installation. Or maybe a small, wide hose clamp will work. Nice adjustment screw to get just the right pressure. I adjusted mine so that the cable holds at just above my normal operational speeds. Anything higher tends to slip downward guarding against over revving.

You are almost there.
John,
I put a short length of fuel line hose over the cable and then used a hose clamp. The hose protects the cable and allowed me to use a wider stronger hose clamp.
Thanks for the tip.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where to quote H.L. Mecken aka "the sage of Baltimore", “For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.â€
CDSOA Founding Member
John Danicic

Glad it worked out

Post by John Danicic »

Mitch:

Glad it worked out for you. I will be regaling the board with my newest pedestal saga this weekend.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts