Cooling water problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Location of Raw Water Strainer in Cape Dory 25D

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Randy and all:

An update. Today I purchased a Perko raw water strainer (Model No. 0493004PLB) with 1/2" piping. It was the smallest raw water strainer (in terms of outside dimensions) that I could find. The 1/2" piping is compatible with both the intake seacock and the piping for the water pump. I had installed a new 1/2" (13mm) hose in November directly from the seacock to the water pump.

I spent about 2 hrs today on S/V Bali Ha'i trying to find a place where I can install this strainer. I cannot find any good place. I do not think there is enough room next to the Racor fuel filter I installed in November. It would make the hose turns (and bronze "elbows") too dramatic. In addition, there has to be an "overhead" clearance of at least 6" so the strainer basket can be removed and cleaned.

The other place I checked is the bilge. Randy, if I understand your prior posts, this is where your raw water filter is installed. It has sufficient room. The only place in the bilge, however, seems to be a bulkhead-like structure that is at the forward end of the bilge area. The problem I see with this is there is about a 4' run from the seacock to the raw water filter's "IN" port and then another 4' run from the raw water filter's "OUT" port back to the water pump. That seems like a VERY long run and may create a problem in terms of gpm flow of water, overheating, etc. Not sure. Thoughts :?: :?:

Randy, can you detail for us exactly where your raw water strainer is attached in the bilge. Also, if you recall, the make and model no. of the strainer.

The raw water seacock I have is NOT original and NOT Spartan. It also does NOT have a backing plate. Not sure why. When I haul in Oct/Nov one of the first things I plan to do is replace this seacock with a proper Spartan seacock. Does anyone happen to know the piping diameter for this raw water intake seacock :?: The current seacock is 1/2" but, again, it is NOT original.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions, recommendations, advise, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Cooling water problem

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In trying to find a location within the engine compartment where I can fit a small raw water strainer near the raw water seacock and the water pump I came across a model from SHURflo. It seems like it is used mostly for bait wells, wash down pumps, etc. and is plastic NOT bronze.

However, it is small and has a small bracket that looks like it would fit along the engine wall next to the Racor filter I had installed.

http://shop.beneteauowners.com/prod.php?16189

I think the above is a photo and description.

I know it is not ideal but it may be a temporary installation until haul out next Fall when several issues, including engine plumbing, seacocks, etc. will be addressed.

Thoughts :?: :?: :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil