Polishing diesel fuel and cleaning fuel tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David van den Burgh

Re: Cleaned the fuel tank out.

Post by David van den Burgh »

John Danicic wrote:So next step is a system to keep it clean. I would like to install a separate pick up for the fuel polishing system which will extend into the sump so that the fuel polishing system could be working while the engine is running.

Any one have any experience doing that? Let me know.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
John,

You've described essentially the same process we performed about four years ago on Ariel. It was also at that point that I installed a new filtration system and fuel polishing circuit. We have had some crud since then, but we haven't lost our engine because of it.

Our system does not allow polishing while the engine is running, which certainly has its advantages, but it doesn't require a dedicated supply and return either, making the system a little easier to install. The reality, of course, is that any filter is polishing the fuel when the engine is running. The thing I really like about our setup is that I can use the fuel polishing pump to prime the system in a matter of seconds after filter changes, and I don't have to worry about introducing air into the system. I'll often switch over to the polishing circuit while the boat is dockside - especially after a lively sail - and leave it on for a couple of hours. The Walbro pump has the capacity to turn over a tank of fuel in less than an hour. Our season on Lake Michigan is short enough that this setup takes care of all our polishing/motoring needs without requiring more than a seasonal filter change.

If you're looking for a polisher setup that will work with the engine running, why not follow Mainesail's example? Looks ideal to me.

You may have seen it before, but here's our filtration/polishing system.
Two Racor 500 FG's - 10 microns to 2 microns.

Old R24s - lower right - is now part of a secondary filtration circuit to allow changing 500 FG filters while underway. The switch at left controls the Walbro fuel pump for polishing.

Schematic of filtration system.
John Danicic

David

Post by John Danicic »

David:

I did see your excellent post on your site about Ariel's polishing system and gained a lot from it.

A dedicated polishing system with its own pickup way down in that sump to me, would be ideal. The fuel pickup stem in my tank was located a bit above the sump and forward so that it would not clean the sump unless the tank was agitated and the crud widely distributed. I do believe the best agitation comes when you need clean fuel the most.

Inserting a dedicated pickup into that sump, connected to a high volume pump should clean the area where our hapless C. Resinae tends to collect, and in the long run, worth the trouble to install.

What do you think? I could clean the sump once a year or so but it is a messy job when all is said and done. I am also thinking of the power consumption such a pump would require and having the engine on would give me the juice to run it.

Does Ariel have such a sump? It is not real deep maybe 1/2 of an inch. It is about 3 inches across and runs the width of the tank. To me it is a very obvious, manufactured indentation.

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
CDSOA #655
David van den Burgh

Re: David

Post by David van den Burgh »

John Danicic wrote:Does Ariel have such a sump? It is not real deep maybe 1/2 of an inch. It is about 3 inches across and runs the width of the tank. To me it is a very obvious, manufactured indentation.

Sail on

John Danicic
John,

No, Ariel's tank is flat-bottomed and located in the port cockpit locker, so no sump. If you have access and can install a fitting and pickup tube over the sump, I agree that that's the way to go.

With regard to polishing during engine operation, there's no doubt that's handy and a great approach. In our case, I don't think the polisher would do much more than the two 500FGs manage to filter while the engine's running. I designed our system to be more than adequate, and so far that seems to be the case. The only thing I'd like to add is a vacuum gauge to take the guesswork out of filter changes. My philosophy has always been "better safe than sorry," but I'm not eager to change out perfectly good filters. I've added the gauge to the winter work list.

Keep us updated on your project. I'd love to see your setup when you're done.
John Danicic

Gulf Coast Filters

Post by John Danicic »

David:

For your information. There is an interesting discussion on fuel polishing systems on the Recreational Trawler's page.

The iconic Cap'n Wil is the author.
http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com/ho ... tnwil.html

The Gulf Coast Filter F1 sounds great but too large for my boat. A roll of Bounty towels for the filter! Gotta love the economy of that one.

I know a trawler uses way more fuel then a CD 36 but the principals are the same.

I will keep you posted as to what I come up with. Till then, off sailing this week. Summer is fleeting by....

Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
CDSOA #655