CD36 fuel tank cleaning

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Parallel Filters

Post by Oswego John »

Yes, I had parallel fuel filters on a work boat. It was years ago so I don't remember the make or catalogue numbers that I used. It was home built with all the service directional valves needed. I ran on one filter "A" and when I sensed the time was right, I opened the valves for filter "B" and closed off filter "A".

If I had to guess what filters I used, I think that they were the kind that were used in GM autos that had diesel engines in the 1970s.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Ben Thomas

filter manifold

Post by Ben Thomas »

Troy, here is what I made up for my filters. I have two fuel tanks, original in port lazerette and 20 gal. in bilge under cabin sole, so two feeds into manifold, (one along top of image and one at right side of image) top petcock is open (parallel). Also, you can almost see the valve for the fuel return lines of both tanks lower left of image.
Manifold allows me to switch fuel tanks as well as filters without shutting down engine. Red handles to and from racors. #1 & #2
Ben
Ron M.

looks good

Post by Ron M. »

Ben,
I have a similar set up. not quite clear in your photo - is that a vacuum gage for fuel filter that you have extended the line to ? Nice job.
________
Uk
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Thomas

gauge

Post by Ben Thomas »

Yep, the gauge is downstream of both filters so it reads on whichever one has fuel running through it. There is also that 90* with petcock on it at top of image, helpful in bleeding.
There is a fuel pump mounted for the bilge tank, (although not necessary to run engine) mounted under sink that I have used to extract fuel from tank, Came in handy one time when another sailboat ran out of fuel. (no wind) I was able to give him a couple gallons.
Thanks, Ben