dogs on boats?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tod Mills

Rudy

Post by Tod Mills »

Hi, OJ

Rudy is pretty speedy. I've actually taken him out on deserted roads and let him out to run beside the truck. 25 is pretty easy for him and his peak was just under 30, per the speedometer.

I'm not sure what breeds he has in him. His markings look rather German Shepherdish, but he is small boned and about 40#. I got him from the local shelter.

[img]http://www.htmills.com/images/RudyDownSnowy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.htmills.com/images/RudyRunningblurred.jpg[/img]
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Tod Mills

Lexi has the spot!

Post by Tod Mills »

Looks like Lexi has found a good place there on the bridge deck, with no need to be concerned about sliding off the seat and onto the sole!
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Rudy

Post by Oswego John »

Tod,

Looking at pictures of Rudy, my wild guess is that there might be some Australian Cattle Dog involved. Just a guess, though.

He's a real beauty.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Tom Keevil

Schooner

Post by Tom Keevil »

This thread seems to have evolved into an orgy of cute dog pictures. OK - here's Schooner acting as a figurehead in the dinghy.

You might also note that we are probably the only folks with a dog named after a boat, and a boat named after a dog.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
barfwinkle

Rescues

Post by barfwinkle »

You know Todd I have two dogs. One a pure bred Golden Retriever, of the Dark Red Variety, and the other a MUTT of the rescue variety. The rescue (aka Jessie) has proven twice as expensive as the GR (aka Doxie, whose name btw was suggested by a Gentleman Captain of the NE Fleet, who unfortunately is not longer sailing with us due to a severe stroke). Both Great Dogs. And your picture of Rudy on the full run with the rope is great and reminds me on Jessie. Great Pic. And speaking of quick, Jessie continues to amaze me with her speed. She kills squirrels on a very regular basis and while we have no proof and hopefully wont, god help the cat that gets to close to her. Doxie on the other hand nuzzles with cats. go figure.

My rescue is definitely a "cow dog". She looks like a brown border collie and will head and heel us and her big sister to the point of down right annoyance. Both dogs are very smart (smarter than their owners) but the Jessie is truly amazing. I'll get some good pics and post them however, they are not sailing hounds, however they are collectively referred to as "The Hounds of the Slaterbills"!

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Tom:

Like I said, I can read dogs minds.

Schooner is saying "Steady, steady; if this guy would just row a little faster I've got that cat in my crosshairs". :D
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097