Fenix in St. Helena

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

Fenix in Key West

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

A quick note to let you know Fenix and I arrived Key West Monday at noon. We had mostly an easy passage. A couple of days of light wind, one day of no wind. The last day and a half were very squally as a frontal system moved into the area.

Nothing like crossing the Gulf Stream in a Nor'easter. 12' seas and gusts up in the 40K range made the last full day at sea a challenge. To top it off just as we approached the entrance channel to go north to Key West another squall came through. A little rain and gusts up in the 30K range made it a challenge to stay in the channel. I really wasn't too worried as the water even out of the channel was ~30' deep.

I'll finish the trip on the next leg up to Tampa Bay. Should be about two days but much depends on wind direction and weather in general. Its about 200 miles.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
paul marko

welcome home to the Gulf

Post by paul marko »

Welcome back to this part of the world.

I am currently anchord in my CD 28 in a basin located in dotors pass about 30 miles south of FT.Meyers beach. I am waiting out the 30ks winds until monday. This last two weeks weather has been a real pain.

I intended to sail over to New Found Harbor, but have to make quick trip back to Calfornia, I will leave the boat in Cape Coral with another CD 28 owner, then return and begin again.

If I sail north I will keep my eyes open for you!

You have completed a wonderful adventure, best of luck for the future.

Paul Marko
fenixrises

Fenix in Tampa

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

We have returned. Not to the starting point but close enough. The trip up from Key West was great for the first day and a half. I went slow the last night timing my arrival at the entrance to the bay for just past sunrise. In retrospect this was a mistake...possibly.

Because just about 9AM a real nasty frontal system moved into the area. From the SE it was right on the nose. I spent about 5 hours going 6 miles in 30~40 knot winds with 50K gusts. All this in water of 20' or so. At the end I had just 3 miles to go and could not make it. A narrow channel made it impossible to tack and as you know a CD 28 just isn't going to power into that kind of wind.

I could see my destination but dropped the hook in 10' of water. Went below and made an evening meal. Then sat there while the bow bounced up and down in the 3' wind swells. And we were only one mile offshore in 10' of water. Quite a chop for that small amount of fetch.

Through the night the front passed. The clouds and rain came through in the early hours. By 9 AM I was able to motor through the narrow channel to the mouth of the Manatee River. Being Sunday morning it took a while to find someone who could find someone to tell me if I could stay, for at least the night, in the small marina I reached.

Now Fenix is at rest. I have started to off load stuff. A good clean up and some maintenance are in the near future.

As for my future and Fenix's I'll be letting you all know very near soon.

Thanks to all the board members who through the years offered interest and support in our voyage.

Take care from Fred and Fenix
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!