Boom Vang Ideas for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Vang-2

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Another photo. There is a regular bail on the boom
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7cf3 ... /ry%3D320/
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

N/M

(Oops! Didn't see the second post)

Thanks!
Last edited by MikeD on Jul 31st, '08, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

nice

Post by boom2it »

Thanks for posting the pictures, that answers my original attachment question perfectly, though the second picture is difficult to see the attachment to the boom. With the loose footed main I don't think I will have to do any drilling into the boom, I should be able to strap or use some type of "u" bolt connection or something similar to attach the block to the boom. I like the mast connection you installed, simple and strong.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Got out sailing today for a few hours. Unfortunately, very light winds that were "squirrly" (I am told this is a technical sailing term). :wink: At my tadpole level it made for a lot of tacks and a few less than graceful jibes to catch the wind.

When I got home I had a pleasant surprise. The Garhauer boomvang I ordered was at my doorstep. I had placed several calls and emails to Garhauer directly but got no satisfactory customer service response other than 1 email telling me to talk with a certain person. I left several voice mails but this person never called back. After a week of no responses I called Mauri Pro Sailing and was able to talk immediately with a living, breathing human being. He was familiar with Typhoons (or so he said) and recommended the Garhauer 25 UAB 4-1 boomvang.

It looks very nice and similar to the ones I am familiar with on the Harbor 20s although those are made by Harken. The Garhauer boomvangs come completely assembled with blocks, line (eye spliced) and shackles at each end. I hope to install this boomvang Saturday afternoon and, weather permitting, experiment with it holding down the boom on broad reaches and runs.

By the way, the Mauri Pro price was a few $$ cheaper than if I had bought direct from Garhauer. Go figure.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097