"Topping Lift" on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Pigtails on Alberg Plans...

Post by bhartley »

I have no proof that Carl Alberg didn't design a pigtail for Cape Dories, but I think it's a safe bet, otherwise he'd have been run out of town on a garboard strake by his contemporary designers.

I think, if you look at the plans, you'll find part of a topping lift sketched on the end of the boom. No pigtail. It took a special dearth of talent to design a pigtail.
Actually, the pigtail is very much a part of the original Sea Sprite drawings. Maybe he just got more class over time!

Robert,

If you're stressing out, just lay the boom on the seat before you go forward to raise the main. If you don't have cockpit cushions, put something down so it doesn't ding the seat. Make sure the mainsheet is slack and it will take care of itself as the main is raised.

GO SAIL!

Bly
Jim Buck

original pigtail

Post by Jim Buck »

Robert:

My 1974 Typhoon purchased new from a dealer came with the aforementioned "pigtail". With the internal halyards I found it not to be a problem to stand near the end of boom with halyard in hand and hoist the sail while releasing the boom form the "pigtail". It was also easier to maintain tiller control (read: keep her pointed into the wind) and only when I needed to secure the halyard was I for a short time near the companionway. My 1979 Ty also had the "pigtail" with the same efforts required. I do believe that on larger vessels this might be problematic but, alas, I only have the experience of "America's smallest yacht".

Jim
Dean Abramson

Go

Post by Dean Abramson »

Robert,

This is nothing to keep you from sailing now. Just a good improvement to put on the list.

Be careful and go.

Dean

PS: It seems to me that a rigger would go up your mast. But even if not, can't you and a buddy or two unstep her at the dock? My first boat was larger than a Ty and we always did the mast ourselves. You don't have to have her hauled.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dick Villamil

Ty topping lift and pigtail

Post by Dick Villamil »

There have been many sailors who have used the pigtail for many a casual sail without a problem. I am sure that there would be no problem with hoisting the main while at the mooring, leaving the sheet slack. WHen hoisted, casually tiptoe back to the pigtail and unclip it. Then take the slack out of the mainsheet and motor until you are clear of the other moorings. Raise the motor and you are sailing. Then after all the gear is stowed and you are on a close reach, unfurl or hoise the jib. After you dio this a few times you will take a chance and actually sail off the mooring without even using the motor. The only times that you might experience any white knuckle happening as was previously and colorfully described is when there is a 3-6 foot chop on the Bay. Until you develop some worthy sea legs this will be when the iron jib or the Gin Jib are more likely to be used. Personally the only time I want to use the motor is when I am too tired to paddle and there is no wind or I am trying to outrun a strong line of thunderstorms. Other than that I find the Ty very comforting and seaworthy. Needless to say, one of the first upgrades you will want is to lead the main halyard back to the cabintop like I did for Victoria. The extra long halyard allows me to pull the halyard up while holding the boom on my shoulder. The second upgrade you will want to do is to install a topping lift. All you need is an 1/8" dacron line that attaches to the top of the mast crane, down to a turning block at the aft end of the boom then forward about 3' to a cleat. Make sure that the topping lift line is at least 6 feet too long. This allows you to drop the boom to the deck is you have to and also to figure out exactly how much it needs to be shorteded after you use it for a few weeks. If you need to wait until the end of the season when the mast is down - so be it. You may even find that you only need 2 gallons of gas to get through the season - since the Ty is such a good saiing boat....
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks for the answer--here's another question.

Post by Joe Myerson »

John V:

Well, I asked my question--and you certainly gave me an answer.

I think Ted told me that he liked the pigtail because he could get his boom out of the way when the sail was furled. (He's quite a bit taller than I am.)

Ted's rig does raise another question: Does it make sense, on a Cape Dory, to have a topping lift that's controlled from the end of the boom?

I've always liked the idea of having one less line and cleat on the mast, but I wonder how you'd go about tightening the topping lift when the boat was off the wind.

Perhaps such topping lifts work well on boats with really short booms.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
wingreen

deja vu, all over again...

Post by wingreen »

It just occurred to me, Robert, that it has been several weeks since you purchased your Ty, and still all we have seen are posts about sailing. Please don't be as patient as you were when you were looking to buy a boat!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Wingreen:

I share your dismay. I had an unfortunate personal matter that has taken a lot of my time.

As you may recall, I moved S/V Tadpole to her mooring on Monday, 07 April with high hopes of sailing her on Wednesday and Thursday of that week.

As luck would have it during the evening of Tuesday, 08 April and early Wednesday morning, 09 April, the hot water heater inside my house (bad architectural design) broke (main heating element pipe snapped in two) and flooded my house with almost 400 gallons of water. Restoration company truck has a 127 gallon tank. They filled it full more than 3x :!: When I stepped out of my bed Wednesday morning, 09 April, I stepped into 2" of water. All rooms completely flooded. Carpeting, floor boards, etc. all soaked.

From 09 April through Tuesday, 22 April, I had to be at home every day for the "restoration co" to take daily moisture readings of the drywall, etc. to position and reposition fans, blowers, heaters, dehumidifiers, etc. (a total of 24-26 units in the house). Sounded like a jet engine. I was also trying to salvage what I could that was not destroyed by water damage. I lost a lot of significant memorabilia, photos, etc.

All equipment was finally removed on 22 April. I am told drywall is dry and little chance of mold forming.

I had planned on two separate days last week to practice dropping and picking up a mooring ball single handed and then going out into Biscayne Bay to raise sails. Unfortunately, both days had winds significantly higher than I would be comfortable with at this point single handed. I was also still "on probation" at the sailing club and did not want to accidentally play "bumper boats" with any expensive and large sailboats.

On Friday, 25 April, I was surprisingly accepted into full membership at the sailing club and learned the secret handshake, etc.

I was going to go sailing today. Unfortunately, high winds (14-17 kts). Hopefully, in 3-4 months 14-17 kt winds will be what I am hoping for :!: Not just yet.

Tomorrow is forecast to be fairly calm on Biscayne Bay according to www.sailflow.com so I hope to be on board S/V Tadpole tomorrow afternoon. The morning must be spent with A/C service tech fixing one of the A/C units. As you may recall, the "Admiral" has departed so all duties fall to . . . :(

IF I get out tomorrow, I will certainly report back to my "support group" on my efforts and results.

I plan on also practising removing the pigtail while head to wind and just before raising the mainsail. That seems to be the consensus best course of action until such time as I can install a proper topping lift.

Wingreen, I appreciate your concern and your support and encouragement. I am very anxious to raise sails on S/V Tadpole. I just want to try to do so judiciously, at least for the first 3-4 months until I get to know her.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

SeaHunt...

Over the weekend I took Bandolera out in the 17 k of winds, which she loves. We went flying to Elliott Key under 3 hours -it normally takes me 3-1/2 to get there- with main and genny pulling gloriously. I saw two very pretty Typhoons that day out too, plus a gorgeous CD-30 called "Gallant John" that I'd never seen around here before, that seemed to be coming from your side of the bay.

Upon my return to Crandon Marina (home) the winds were right for me to go towards your anchorage and sailed up to the entrance of the channel. Then with sails down, I motored right in and FOUND little S/V Tadpole at her mooring with the crate on the engine :D I went right around her, she is still looking very pretty, and motored away back to our own slip across the bay at Crandon. Yes, it has been VERY windy here lately. :? Take your time.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
lubeckmaine

1973 oink

Post by lubeckmaine »

http://picasaweb.google.com/lubeckmaine ... 5788551746

just going through some pictures as we're suffering the whims of a Wyoming spring blizzard- here you can see the offensive oink tail but we are paying little attention, since, after a very fine start at St. Andrews, the breeze is dying, and with considerable angst, my sons and I are suffering the closing of our lead.

ps- I can't imagine replacing our CD topping lift with an oink, and again, I don't think I'll be replacing the pig with a TL on the Tartan anytime soon. :)