sailing without an engine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Who needs an engine when there's wind?

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Most of us use our engines only to get in/out of our marinas. Once we're clear of all obstacles on the way from the marina to our sailing grounds (we have to pass beneath two bascule bridges then between two breakwaters at an inlet), the sails go up and the engine's shut off. Aaah, sweet quiet. And if there's little or no wind, we've got the engine to get us where ever we want to go.

Anyway, don't get rid of the engine, and only use it when required. But you will have to maintain it.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Tod Mills

Chiming in with what others have said...

Post by Tod Mills »

I don't think I'd remove the diesel from that boat. I'd suggest sailing a bit as is and just use the engine enough to keep it in good shape, practicing engineless skills.

Then, if you still really really want to go engineless and decide it is practical for you, sell that boat and get a regular 22. You'll find that sailing performance will be improved without prop/aperture drag, you'll save yourself a bunch of labor, and maintain the value of the boat.

I can certainly see some draws to going engineless.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer