Results of sea trial for Cape Dory 25 and Navik windvane...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Like so many others, I am so sorry you lost your boat.

However, to those of us who value truth and objectivity above all else, your ability to assess your own actions and objectively is truly an inspiration.
Mark Abramski
Ed Haley

A lost friend

Post by Ed Haley »

A boat is like a good friend
Who enters your life as a breath
And sometimes leaves as a storm.

But the spirit lingers, reminding, urging
That of all the places it sailed,
With you it will always remain.

So sad to hear of your loss and I wish you the fastest recovery in finding a new friend. Somewhere there's a boat who knows you're looking for her and she'll show up sooner rather than later. And then let the stories begin again!
Brandon
Fort Lauderdale, Fl

Not sure...

Post by Brandon »

I read your entry last night, not sure how to respond. But I wanted to. Wow. Caught by surprise, like the rest of us.

This is life. Isn't it? These adventures. Not always a particularly happy ending. But they can be if you make them. Congratulations to you on your assessment of the situation. I wish I could only be so honest in a time of emotional trials such as yours. I am sure Eventually I will find out. Until then, happy searching for a new love. She should be another Cape Dory indeed. Where else would you find such a supporting family?
The road goes ever on and on,
And I must follow it if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some place
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say.

B. Baggins
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Ed's Reply...

Post by Dan & Pat »

Ed - your reply was so accurate. I can remember every boat I've ever owned. Not just the name, but the bow reg. numbers, length, power plant, and where she took me. And, I can honestly say that I've shed tears when giving one of my 'gals' up.

"But the spirit lingers, reminding, urging", great words! Would you, (could you) cite the source for me?

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

The sea gods are known to play cruel jokes on mear mortals. No doubt due to some inferiority complex THEY have. They chose you this time to display their warped sense of humor.

I expect to hear from you aboard another vessel sooner than even you expect. That...the gods owe to you!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
yves feder w1ux
S/V "ALPHEE" (44) Sabre34 Mark II #282 (1986) Stonyngtonne, CT

incredibly sorry

Post by yves feder w1ux »

for the disaster and above all thanks to you for sharing the experience so vividly and being willing to let us know about lessons earned the very hard way...... sympathies and heartfelt best wishes to have you sailing again soon!
Yves
"Heisenberg May Have Slept Here"
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Sad news

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Didereaux,
I hadn't taken time to read the post because I'm not really looking for a wind vane. But I saw the responses growing and decided this was a thread I didn't want to miss. As I read your post I was interested to hear the plus and minuses of the project. And then the ending. I was stunned!

Like the rest of the board I'm glad you're OK (physically if not emotionally). How sad to lose the boat that was so much a partner for you. I come from the school that believes that boats are not inanimate objects, but have a personality and a "life" of their own. I am sure that Spring Gail was glad to be out in the element she was designed for, taking the risks and glorying in the voyage. I'm sure she preferred to meet her end on the sea and not decaying, neglected and unloved on the hard in the back corner of some boatyard.

Too many boats end that way. For sailors and their ships, the rocks are preferable to rot.

Remember her and the lessons she taught you and bring your gifts to another ship who needs a partner to go in harm's way and glory in the challenge. And continue to share your wit and wisdom with us.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Ed Haley

The souce is me

Post by Ed Haley »

Dan and Pat:
The words I wrote came to me after reading the account of Didereaux' loss of his boat.

"A boat is like a good friend
Who enters your life as a breath
And sometimes leaves as a storm.

But the spirit lingers, reminding, urging
That of all the places it sailed,
With you it will always remain. "

Thank you for your kind words.
:? [/b]
Dean Abramson

Condolences

Post by Dean Abramson »

Didireaux,

After a weekend of working on my boat, I returned to find the news about your boat. I am stunned and saddened.

I am glad to see that your sense of humor is intact, and appreciate your taking the time to explain everything in such honest detail so that others can learn. We have all made bad decisions on the water, and it is only blind luck which has saved me on several occasions.

It is ironic that just yesterday, I removed the vane gear that came on my boat. It turns out that my new boat has been quite an exhausting project, and promises to be all of this season. I decided that since I had never used a vane before, that would be just one more thing to worry about in an unfamiliar boat. Maybe later in the season, maybe next season, I will start trying to learn about that. Distraction and fatigue are our enemies, and thanks to your courageous, honest post, I am feeling better about my somewhat agonized decision. Thank you.

Here's hoping that you are into another vessel soon. You are down, but I am sure far from out.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

My condolences. I appreciate your story. I am presently planning a three day cruise on my CD25. Your story forced me to re-examine my itinerary/plans etc...a healthy wake up call.

What an incredible adventure you have so humbly experienced and survived!

Congrats.

John B
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Thank you.

Post by S/V Necessity »

I guess thanks might seem unusual. But I will try and explain. I've been lurking about this board for several weeks and have finally put ernest money down on a CD (not the kind of CD my father's always reccomending). Your story, your analysis, and most importantly your honesty, is taken very seriously. And appreciated. Both I and Kay read your story and spent some time talking about it. Thanks for putting real situation into a real life perspective. We will both try and be more wary when approaching land.
We are very much saddened by your loss also. Both of us have been reading and enjoying your posts in the archives. We were shocked to read this one. Hope you find another boat very soon, hope it's a CD.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Thank you.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark Dierker wrote:We will both try and be more wary when approaching land.
Well put.

I was headed out with a friend several years ago. He nervously asked if we'd be out of sight of land. "Unfortunately, no," was my reply.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Shock and Sadness

Post by George Shaunfield »

Didireaux,

I felt a great sadness as I read the end of your post. How incredible to lose one's boat. I am glad that you were safe. As painful and expensive as it may be, boats can be replaced. There is no replacement for you, and so in that regard there is much to be grateful for.

I, too, thank you for your willingness to assess the situation so honestly and share it with us. Your doing so may very well save one or more of us from a similar experience.

You are welcome to sail with me. I am planning another offshore trip in the fall.

George
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Neptune not one to be messed with

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Didereaux,

Neptune possesses superhuman strength and his Olympian metabolism gives him far greater than human endurance at all physical activities. Neptune is one of the strongest of the Olympian gods, and can lift (press) 70 tons. Among the Olympian gods, his level of strength is matched only by those of Pluto and Ares, and exceeded only by those of Zeus and Hercules.

He definitely had your best interests at heart and had absolutely no trouble in rescuing you! (Then again, he may abhor puns and it was your boat he was after?)

May the wind fill your sails again soon!

Serge