Morning Java: It's not for amateurs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

You had already answered

Post by henry hey »

Sorry Kilgore,

saw the answer in there - sweet marias.

h
Kilgore
Sea Cliff, NY
Member #1209

Post by Kilgore »

I'm using the entry level (now discontinued) Fresh Roast 8 (I paid around 80 bucks for it about 6 years ago and have had to replace the hat and once....it's a workhorse).

I'm not fussy about what I put in it and randomly sample from their green selection. They do have a nice selection of dedicated espresso blends. Home roasting can be as consistent as you want it to be.

That said, of all the 'upgrades' I've made (cheap boiler to cheap pump to Silvia, blade to burr grinder) the switch to good home roasted beans was the most noticeable improvement.

Another mod to consider depending on the age of your machine: http://milksnot.com/joomla/coffee/silvia-mod
Dick Barthel

Coffee making compendium only on CDSOA!

Post by Dick Barthel »

I have a great interest in this thread being a strong coffee addict. Thanks Bob for getting it going and for all the banter that has followed. I like Tod's gear for my limited space 25D.

Hope no CDs are in Earl's path! I pulled DW out which thankfully now appears to have been unnecessary.

Dick
David van den Burgh

Another method

Post by David van den Burgh »

I posted this in the Underway Gourmet section several months ago. It's the only way we make coffee at home and aboard. We often have some home-roasted beans and CoffeeFool's Velvet Hammer. Like many of you, we use the Zassenhaus knee mill aboard.

Brewing Coffee Aboard
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Coffee making compendium only on CDSOA!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dick Barthel wrote:I pulled DW out which thankfully now appears to have been unnecessary.
The mere act of hauling no doubt moved the storm track further east and dropped the top winds by about 20%.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Re: Coffee making compendium only on CDSOA!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Dick Barthel wrote:I pulled DW out which thankfully now appears to have been unnecessary.
The mere act of hauling no doubt moved the storm track further east and dropped the top winds by about 20%.
Glad I could help! Now its back to the boat Sunday to put everything back on. I'm thinking of keeping her in well into October with all this global warming we're having.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

I'm surprised none of you has discovered this

Post by Carter Brey »

I've been using one of these for a couple of years. Quite nice, for those of us used to a quick blast standing up at the coffee bar:

http://www.handpresso.com/
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

On Isa Lei

Post by Jim Davis »

We use two methods. A 12 cup percolator for the real thing and a Bodum press for the decapitated stuff. This works well since there are three of us. Max, our Husky wakes up wide eyed and bushy tailed, so he doesn't get coffee. My wife doesn't do caffeine that often so I get the entire pot. As to grounds, I use almost anything in pound bags from the grocery store, preferably Colombian. I bring it to a boil, then cut back to a low flame for five minutes. The consistency is almost to the point of being able to stand a spoon in it. Cream and sugar do not get mixed in!.

And yes I remember C Rat coffee. I have used heat tabs, but prefer C4 slices for cooking under field conditions. My most memorable cup was at first light after standing all night, belt deep in a flooded rice paddy. The intelligence folks absolutely insisted the VC were going to use a trail through the middle of a huge paddy. At first light I told the troops it was OK to light cooking fires. My radio operator did just that in his helmet. You have to love GI initiative.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
bobc

After five years...

Post by bobc »

Well, in the five years since I started this post little had changed in they way of coffee brewing on SeaJay. Then a couple of weeks ago I bought this little gem. It's a Fireling Frother.

It's still in the shore-trial stage, but the first results are encouraging. To use it, I poured in some warm milk and coffee and then pumped the handle a few times. What came out, after settling for a few minutes, wasn't too far removed from a latte. Next time I think I'll try frothing only half of the coffee, and leave the other half in the cup.

I had to give up on the idea of switching to live steam. The old Yanmar YSM-8 just won't die.
Bob Cutler
1981 CD27 (sold)
Everett, WA
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

foam

Post by henry hey »

Interesting Bob,

But. . to my knowledge, there is no way to produce microfoam onboard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyness/3071353649/

-h
Tod Mills

wow, Henry!

Post by Tod Mills »

That's pretty amazing!
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
paulmccary

Shop towels

Post by paulmccary »

Last week I slept on the mooring just for laughs. Forgot the press, but did have ground coffee. After failing to create a Melitta out of an empty plastic water bottle with slits (too little detention time), I poured hot water through a few tablespoons of coffee lodged in a conical shaped shop towel.

It wasn't the best coffee I'd ever made, but it tasted pretty good at the time.

Paul McCary
Impromptu
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Foam for Henry

Post by Randy Capstick »

We've been using the Bellman CX25 for a few years now. It's a stovetop espresso maker that makes fantastic microfoam.

http://www.koffeeklatsch.com/product_15 ... Maker.html

This price seems a little high, we found ours online for about $50. It's a very well made stainless unit.

We also use the Coleman drip coffee maker mentioned above and have been happy with it. For home use we are also Rancilio Silvia users.

Randy
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Cowboy Coffee

Post by Duncan »

After fussing with different contraptions and methods, I've settled on boiling the coffee and the water together in a pot. I'd say it tastes like perked coffee, but it is easier to clean up afterward.

It gets a bit chewy at the bottom of the pot, so it needs to stand for a minute, and it takes a practiced pour to leave the grounds behind.

I do have an Italian stovetop espresso maker, which is nice for fanciness, but the cowboy coffee wins on taste, convenience and cleanup.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

These are all nice.........but what do you do for cannoli ?
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensary
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.