Furling Drum Rotation Direction?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Re: Furling Drum Rotation Direction?

Post by wikakaru »

"If in doubt, release halyard tension." There's a nice fudge factor if I ever saw one. Sounds like it is still necessary to keep halyard tension low when furling and furled, and make it proper for sail shape when sailing.

--Jim
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

John,

Couple of comments ...

- I have switched my Harken MkIV furling line (and lead hardware) from port-side/stbd-side and back a few times over the years depending on the slip orientation I have had - to get the line out from underfoot when boarding - I have moved around a few times in the marina ... All my jibs furl with the drum rotating counter clockwise and have UV protection on their stbd face. I have not noticed any operational difference because of this, just slightly less interference from the furling line over the stem-head when it runs down port-side. I've just had to carefully adjust the position of the drum cage to allow for the change in entrance angle to the drum (easy), and carefully position that first little pulley on my pulpit leg for most uniform wrap and unwrap (almost as easy).

- If your foil has two groves I think you want to use the stbd grove for counter clockwise wrap, or the port grove for clockwise wrap. This avoids an acute angle of wrap along the luff tape. (I hope I am not countering directions in the manual).

- Both of the jibs I've had made have pendants at the head. Initially my 115% did not and in a stiff breeze the halyard would misbehave up there.

- Finally, tension lightly and cleat the furling line when the sail is deployed or the drum can snap (esp downwind) and you can get a jam in the drum much like a winch "overwrap" ... but it's way up forward there, at the worst possible time when you discover it. Been there, done that!

cheers
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the input. All the comments were helpful and much appreciated. Made my brain a little bigger.

I was down at the boat today with my ladder propped on the spritshr'd as I examined all the angles and options I could think of closely. I have a plan for the furling line. I think it's going to work fine. It does use the spritsh'rd. First block lashed tightly. I can position it just so and ensure exit from drum at 90°. Then it comes aft under the offside (not used) bow roller then aft along sprit to block on gammon iron or deck then aft along inboard side of stanchions. That's the plan.

So all this means I can get the dinghy off the boat (and bring it home for polishing and some mods) and wash it up and then get the cover on the FR. Got to get the yellow marks from the mooring ball off the topside at waterline.

Still on track to take the jib up to the Doyle loft in Yankee land (NY) end of Aug.