Dry Sailing vs. Mooring

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Re: Dry Sailing vs. Mooring

Post by wikakaru »

Why don't you try it both ways and see which way you prefer it? To me the biggest hassles of dry-sailing are rigging the mast and putting the outboard on the bracket. If you cut those parts out by leaving the boat fully rigged near the ramp, then launching and hauling are not nearly as difficult.

That being said, I will also tell you that there are a few benefits to a mooring (beyond those already mentioned) that you don't get with dry-sailing a boat:

* Being able to sail on and off the mooring without ever starting the engine. I hate using an engine. This is a big plus for me.
* Being able to look back at your boat as you row ashore in the dinghy. It is a very pleasant way to end a sail. It lets the memories of the day settle in to your psyche gently. Having to haul the boat and deal with all that hassle at the end of the day kind of ruins the experience.

Also, if you ever plan on single-handing, the mooring is probably a better option. Sailing onto and off of a mooring are easy to do alone, but catching the bow of the boat at the launch ramp before it runs into the trailer and damages the topsides is a difficult feat to accomplish alone, especially if the wind and waves are up.

Smooth sailing,

Jim