Far Reach Summer Cruise

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Far Reach Summer Cruise

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
Jim Walsh wrote:If you can get within 10’ feet of it without too much trouble an infrared temp. sensor gun would do the trick and come in handy for ensuring your beer is just the right temp. for serving.
An infrared gun is a handy tool to have on a boat for so many things, especially now that the Far Reach has an engine. It is super helpful to be able monitor the temperature of things like exhaust mixing elbows, alternators, water pumps, and, of course, beer.
John Stone wrote: be sure to note in the log the temperature of all those things I mentioned above (well, except the beer) now while the engine is new, so later on when things start slowly deteriorating you have a baseline. Also, you should log how much raw cooling water flow you have out of the exhaust--for example, how long it takes to fill a gallon jug at a particular RPM. Later on when (not if) the engine overheats you will be able to easily test and see if you should look at the raw water side of the system or the fresh water side. Same thing with your fuel vacuum gauge readings. Also log boat speeds in flat water and calm winds at various RPMs including Wide Open Throttle. It sure is nice to have a new engine for just this reason.
Egadds. I'm ready to take it all out of the boat and toss it over the side! LOL.

Seriously. It's all good. Just a few cruising boats were here this week but the weekend horde has already starting arriving. Power yachts and skiffs and center consoles and music and pirate flags. I have never been here on a weekend. Now, I know why. I'm thinking maybe Patagonia is in my future....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Far Reach Summer Cruise

Post by John Stone »

Today, I made the 35 NM trip home. I sailed out of the anchorage and then from the Bight along Shackleford Banks to the Beaufort Inlet. About 10 kts of wind. Close hauled. Tacked twice. About 7.5 n miles. The wind died right outside the inlet. Big ship channel. Sloppy water due to the fast current but was not bad because wind and tide where not oppososed. Lots of boating traffic due to it being Saturday. The wind vane worked perfectly for a bit then started showing signs of friction. I'll get it sorted out after we haul out this coming week.

I motored the rest of the way. About 28 miles I think. Rigged the sun awning. Stayed in the shade. Very hot and sunny. Could not walk on the deck barefoot. Narrow channel up Adams Crreek ICW to the Neuse River. Had a favorable tide the whole way. Makes a big difference. Throttled up for 5 kts but our SOG was about 6-6.2 kts.

I don't like the weekends. People are nuts. Many boaters are courteous. Had a couple sportfishing boats come off plan to pass. That was nice as they leave a huge wake behind them. But one boat loaded with people made me wish for a rocket launcher. 28-30' center console. T Top. Twin or triple 300'ish hp engines. Came at us for head on port to port pass maybe at 45 knts and passed 10-15' away. It was scary and reckless. Trying to impress the girls probably. I won't say more but you can guess what I am thinking.

Thought I might be able to sail up the Neuse once we exited the ICW. About 10 miles to our marina. Had the drifter ready. But it was like a mill pond. I just motored along. At 2200-2400 RPM.

The engine performed well. I was able to check the stuffing box once at a wide part in the channel. It was hot but I could hold my hand on it. Might back it off a little. Maybe a 1/2 turn. Forgot to check how much water was in the collection jug.

It was great to be on the boat. I had fun. Got to sail a little and get reacquainted with the Far Reach. I sleep deep on the boat. I did very little but read and just look at the water snd sky. Gayle and I will take her to the boatyard Wednesday. Probably make an overnight out of it. Then that will be it till mid Oct. some small projects but nothing to complex I don't think. Need to make the first transmission fluid change. Probably change the oil before I go to the Caribbean. Got some canvas work to do. Install the new solar panel. Pull the prop and clean it up and decide what kind of anti fouling paint or epoxy or what ever is best to retard the barnacle growth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.