Sewing question - butt joint two halyards

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mgphl52

Re: Sewing question - butt joint two halyards

Post by mgphl52 »

Joe Myerson wrote:Having external halyards one my 25D makes this operation a lot less stressful, of course.
--Joe
So, does this mean the mast on KAYLA (my 1982 CD28) was changed at some time? Her main & jib halyards are both internal.
Fortunately (as per my preference) they exit on the mast and do NOT go thru extra blocks (aka: friction) to the cockpit.
Just curious and hope to hear from other CD28 owners...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

Your mast may be a replacement for the original. I can't be sure, but mine is original and has external halyards.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

BernieA wrote:Your mast may be a replacement for the original. I can't be sure, but mine is original and has external halyards.
Thanks, Bermie. That may be true. A previous owner was a boat wright and made some nice mods. That could be one of them!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

She would have originally had external halyards.

Some folks run the halyard over one of the mast head shivs and then drop the tail into the mast. It makes for a much neater exterior and a bit less windage. Alberg must not have thought it was a good idea and I am inclined to agree with him. Keeping them on the outside lets you see everything and there is no chance of getting a hang up inside where it would be very difficult to deal with. I have enough wires in there already so as not to need any lines to add more internal clutter, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:She would have originally had external halyards.

Some folks run the halyard over one of the mast head sheeves. and then drop the tail into the mast. It makes for a much neater exterior and a bit less windage. Alberg must not have thought it was a good idea and I am inclined to agree with him. Keeping them on the outside lets you see everything and there is no chance of getting a hang up inside where it would be very difficult to deal with. I have enough wires in there already so as not to need any lines to add more internal clutter, Steve.

I agree. I think internal halyards come with a lot of disadvantages. As Steve said there is more line to move around inside the mast, it opens the inside of the mast to rainwater, and it’s more difficult to run halyards if one drops inside. The only advantage I see for our boats is you get two more halyards when run internally.

Compromises.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

A couple years ago when I rewired my mast I seriously considered going full internal (the CD31 came with an internal staysail halyard and external main and jib halyards) but I decided to keep it simple and retained the original mix of internal and external. Simplicity has its merits when you are singlehanding.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

I used tight fitting heat shrink wrap between the two ends and then sewed the ends together with 8-10 stitches going all around the joint. I tugged really hard on the splice before pulling it up the mast. No problems.

Good luck