Rudder prop strike

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csoule13

Re: Rudder prop strike

Post by csoule13 »

RC James wrote:May all your problems be small ones. :D
RC
No kidding.

For the rest of the questions brought up, the mounts and alignment were done in the water. For the rest, it's unknown. The old mounts were likely original to the boat, and have not a clue on them vs the new ones. The boat was in Deale, Md, and I had already departed to Chattanooga. The boat was pulled after the engine work in mid-April, sat in the yard until early June, then plunked on a truck. In hindsight, I do think I have felt vibrations in the tiller since the move during higher RPMs, in reverse, with the tiller well to starboard.

Again, we'll see what the all knowing pictures show in a few days and go from there.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

RC
DITTO! Or maybe a slightly larger hunk of flotsam...
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

csoule13 wrote:
RC
No kidding.

For the rest of the questions brought up, the mounts and alignment were done in the water. For the rest, it's unknown. The old mounts were likely original to the boat, and have not a clue on them vs the new ones. The boat was in Deale, Md, and I had already departed to Chattanooga. The boat was pulled after the engine work in mid-April, sat in the yard until early June, then plunked on a truck. In hindsight, I do think I have felt vibrations in the tiller since the move during higher RPMs, in reverse, with the tiller well to starboard.

Again, we'll see what the all knowing pictures show in a few days and go from there.

Good luck, I hope it is nothing. maybe line or a limb. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

Man, are GoPros are nice piece of tech.

No line, no branches, and there seems to show space between the end of the prop shaft and the rudder. Going to confirm the next bright sunny day by taking some vid from the other side, but prop strike does look like what's going on here. But hey, that zinc still looks good and beefy. And a reasonably clean hull to boot.

Will try rotating the shaft manually to at least get the rudder unstuck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

The grand finale of our story - Decided to try turning the prop shaft via wrench as suggested. No dice. Decided to at least see if the engine would start and run without something sounding off. No problem. Standing there, I thought "If only there was a way to make the prop spin as if it was in forward gear". Ah ha, of course, the actual transmission. So, with a little pressure on the tiller and held breath, shifted into forward. Tiller immediately flopped back into the cockpit.

So, in summary for anyone still following this story, here's what happened:
- While backing into the slip, trying to be aggressive with the prop walk, I not only pushed the tiller to starboard, but lifted it.
- The tiller cleared the coaming board, the winch, and ended up in a position nearly perpendicular to the centerline of the boat.
- Seriously, it was almost touching the first stanchion of the stern pulpit.
- Before making solid contact, there was an increase in vibration in the tiller. It was in hindsight a warning.

Lesson learned and apparently without any long term damage. Looking forward to getting another look at things to see if I did anything more than put a nick in the rudder.
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

Not sure I follow, so the rudder was turned more than 90 degrees? and got into the prop? or was just the tiller hung up. Sorry, I just don't follow the explanation. Dennis
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
csoule13

Post by csoule13 »

The rudder and the prop hit each other because the tiller got pushed way, way too far over. It hit the fat edge.

But Chris, the chorus says, that can not be!

And yet, that is what happened.

Is this something that is unique to however my boat, with my prop shaft, etc. is configured? Maybe! Maybe not! Can only report on the lived experience of it, yes?

Again, the tiller didn't get jammed. The rudder and prop made contact, wedging the rudder in place and causing the engine to automatically shut off. That was the original condition.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

csoule13 wrote: Is this something that is unique to however my boat, with my prop shaft, etc. is configured? Maybe! Maybe not!
Absolutely NOT! I have dinged KAYLA's rudder a couple fs times in a similar fashion. Not aggressive reverse, just "unattended" tiller in reverse. Will have to have some patch work done when I haul her next year for fresh bottom paint.

BTW, I have switched to a Campbell Sailor prop and still have the clearance issue.

Now, to just survive Delta and gawd only knows what else is in store for the Panhandle this year...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Seems carrying an emergency wheel would be prudent for these situations. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
RC James

Post by RC James »

csoule---- So glad it was an 'easy' fix............now you can show the rest of the world the difference in LakeSailing vs Bay/OceanSailng w/that new GoPro camera.

Give us some Tennessee Fall Mountain Colors in the background.

RC
RC James

Post by RC James »

csoule---- So glad it was an 'easy' fix............now you can show the rest of the world the difference in LakeSailing vs Bay/OceanSailng w/that new GoPro camera.

Give us some Tennessee Fall Mountain Colors in the background.

RC
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Jim Walsh wrote:Seems carrying an emergency wheel would be prudent for these situations. :wink:
Ya got me there... but where the hell would one connect it :?: :?: :?:
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL