Preparing for the Worst: Man Overboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Preparing for the Worst: Man Overboard

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

As I often do, I find my self agreeing with John. Stay on the boat.

I tell guests that the boat is a two story building and you're on the roof. If you're on a two story building you'll be real careful not to fall off. So don't fall off the boat.

I regularly sail out farther than most other boats from my harbor. If I break Rule 1 and go over, I wear a lifejacket so the family can have closure when they find my body.

I singlehand 80% of the time so there's no one to come get me if I screw up.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Keith

Post by Keith »

I now sail solo but when my son was young and he and his friends would come along I would do a surprise MOB drill. They were all instructed on the MOB criteria before we left the mooring and some time during the sail I would throw a cushion overboard and say that is me in the water now rescue me. It always amazed me how different kids reacted to the situation.

As a solo sailor I always put on the offshore PFD with PLB attached when leaving the cockpit. Depending on the activity I may lock in with the bungee harness.

Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have an automatic inflatable PFD which incorporates a harness. I also have a Type 1, and three Type 2 PFD’s aboard. I never routinely wear a PFD.....the only occasions when I have is when the weather has rapidly deteriorated and I’m coastal cruising.
When offshore I religiously wear my harness and clip onto a hard point before leaving the companionway. I never leave the cockpit without clipping onto the jack lines and/or another hard point.
I have an emergency boarding ladder which I can deploy from the water to assist me in getting back aboard.
Were it ever necessary to retrieve someone who was in the water I have a removable boarding ladder which could be deployed. Were they to require more than a helping hand I have a bail at the aft end of my boom and a four part tackle with snap shackles at either end. Hopefully the man overboard would have some place to attach the snap shackle. It would also be possible to attach my bosuns chair to the tackle and send that over if needed.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

Jim Walsh wrote: ... When offshore I religiously wear my harness and clip onto a hard point before leaving the companionway. I never leave the cockpit without clipping onto the jack lines and/or another hard point ...
I'm in the same camp (re harness ALWAYS, PFD less so). I remember my first offshore solo trip to Bermuda when the mantra was: "I'm not getting off this boat." At the same time and while under self-steering, I often thought about falling off and then trying to get back on the boat at (even) 4 knots. Not simple.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Thanks for all the great responses. Two tips that really stand out are: 1) don't walk on the leeward side of the boat if at all possible. This seems obvious, but I never considered it before. And 2) Show your guests how to release the sails and start the motor at the start of each trip.

The biggest risk factor I have on my boat is a hank-on jib. I go forward to raise it at the start of the sail, and I usually take it down as I enter the harbor and approach my mooring. I do this to reduce boat speed and improve visibility in the channel, although I often have an internal debate as to whether or not I should just leave it up. The deck gets pretty narrow up there when I'm hauling the jib down, and my lifelines slope downward to accommodate the jib, so I could easily end up overboard with one quick misstep.

Every year I consider getting a roller furling set-up, but I'm cheap and I like my jib. It is new. I also like the simplicity of a hank-on jib. For safety's sake, though, I should probably go for it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Chris
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

You could try installing a jib downhaul line, a light line secured to the head of the jib and lead through a block at the tack and then back to the cockpit. You could then pull the jib down for better viability and not have to deal with it until you are secure at the mooring.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:Thanks for all the great responses. Two tips that really stand out are: 1) don't walk on the leeward side of the boat if at all possible. This seems obvious, but I never considered it before. And 2) Show your guests how to release the sails and start the motor at the start of each trip.

The biggest risk factor I have on my boat is a hank-on jib. I go forward to raise it at the start of the sail, and I usually take it down as I enter the harbor and approach my mooring. I do this to reduce boat speed and improve visibility in the channel, although I often have an internal debate as to whether or not I should just leave it up. The deck gets pretty narrow up there when I'm hauling the jib down, and my lifelines slope downward to accommodate the jib, so I could easily end up overboard with one quick misstep.

Every year I consider getting a roller furling set-up, but I'm cheap and I like my jib. It is new. I also like the simplicity of a hank-on jib. For safety's sake, though, I should probably go for it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Chris
Chris
Depending on your skills, confidence, and physical agility you are far better off with a hank in jib. Yes I can hear the chorus of Booos all they down here in NC. Ignore them. They are confused and have lost their way. OK y’all settle down I’m just teasing. Furler shave come a long way since the old days.

The hank-on jib won’t fail you, you get a better sail shape, and it will last longer than a furling jib.

I have a hank-on jib and no pulpit. I am no where close to wanting to trade it for a furler. Oh sure there have been a few times when I thought “Do you really have to make it this hard.” But it’s almost all technique. The secret is a jib downhaul. The Pardeys write about it in detail in the Self Sufficient Sailor. But it’s been around for hundreds of years. It’s simple and inexpensive. If you want some details email me.

Re technique. Up wind try tacking but don’t release the sheet, then let go the halyard. With the down haul you can pull that sail right to the deck and it will stay there. Downwind just drop the jib in the lee of the main. Nothing to it.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:You could try installing a jib downhaul line, a light line secured to the head of the jib and lead through a block at the tack and then back to the cockpit. You could then pull the jib down for better viability and not have to deal with it until you are secure at the mooring.
Tim
Dang, you must have replied while I was typing. Right on.
casampson

Post by casampson »

A downhaul is a great idea. I will try to set up one this week.

I did a little research and found some great articles online:

http://www.jbenagh.com/GerrDownhaul.html

https://farreachvoyages.net/tag/jib-down-haul/

I try to keep things as simple as possible and will probably start with the most basic system possible, but I really like the idea.

Chris
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

casampson wrote:A downhaul is a great idea. I will try to set up one this week.

I did a little research and found some great articles online:

http://www.jbenagh.com/GerrDownhaul.html

https://farreachvoyages.net/tag/jib-down-haul/

I try to keep things as simple as possible and will probably start with the most basic system possible, but I really like the idea.

Chris
That’s weird. The link you posted goes to a post on varnishing. This is the one that should have popped up:

https://farreachvoyages.net/2017/12/02/ ... /#more-962
casampson

Post by casampson »

That is strange. I left the original post intact in case anyone wanted to investigate varnishes in addition to looking into downhauls.

Sorry about the mistake.

Chris
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

What earlier posters said: stay on the boat. Harness, tether, good grab handles (that are not tied up with other stuff).
Then, make sure the POB has flotation. In New England waters you are incapacitated in less than ten minutes due to cold water.
Ensure that PoB has an offshore vest wtith >33lb inflation. Strobe light and personal PoB AIS is really good.
Then, good radio discipline: "MMM MoB in vicinity of "well recognized place" then Lat/Lon. Way too many CG and others don't understand how hard it is to care about a Lat/Lon vs. "off Cape so and so"
As others have said, good LifeSling, dump nearly everything overboard, and keep a close eye on the PoB.And practice! It's really hard for our SO's to get our big guys aboard even with multiple purchase.
Don't be afraid to deploy stuff. CC has a DanBuoy and a horseshoe. I always tell people to toss the DanBuouy if they are scared, There's also a Lifesling, a yellow horse shoe and the DanBuoy. In that order. There's also a iife raft but I hope we step up out of the cockpit for that@
casampson

Post by casampson »

1) Love the idea of having a DanBuoy on board. Did not know they existed. Here's a link to one I found online;

https://www.landfallnavigation.com/sos- ... arker.html

2) Good tip regarding latitude and longitude. I have no idea how to get those. With an iPhone?

3) Finally, as far as the radio goes, I have a new one on board that I have never used. Time to practice.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Chris
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

My two cents:

PFDs are important--don't get too casual about them especially in colder waters where hypothermia is an issue.

I agree you should do everything possible to keep everyone aboard but absolutely be prepared to handle the situation if someone goes over. Everyone aboard should know exactly what to do, whether they're the MOB or whether they're rescuing. A big bright-colored life ring with a sling attached should be flung overboard immediately and the MOB swims to it and doesn't ever let go. The floating rope from the sling makes it much easier to pick them up.

Practice this on a calm day in the harbor with a live person, and then practice it in less ideal conditions with just the life ring and sling. I admit I should do this more often.

Prepare for the worst and then do everything you can to prevent it from happening. But I believe strongly that you should be ready to take immediate effective action in an emergency, and that means having a routine that you've practiced so you can go right into action without having to think or remember what to do. Should be automatic.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Back to your original question. The only thing I’d add is that I think whether you plan to stay on the boat or not it is a good idea is to practice a few crew overboard drills. I like Annapolis Book of Seamanship for its good content and clear drawings on a few ways to do it.

Practicing builds up skill but also your confidence in making your boar do what you want it to do, not what it wants to do. The constant tension of sailing.
Paul
CDSOA Member