Interesting Boats

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Interesting Boats

Post by John Stone »

FarrellTed wrote:My sister took this photo of a Stone Horse back in 2014, just off West Falmouth harbor. We were sailing my 1970s era Widgeon. Would have been nice to get her perfectly framed by the mainsheet and traveller but I still like the shot.
Ted, that’s a great photo. You’re right...if that Stonehorse was just a little better framed between the mainsheet fall it would be a Sail magazine cover shot. That’s impressive lighting. Has some kind of magical glow to it. Thanks for posting it.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The schooner Victory Chimes sails through Fox Islands Thorofare, September, 2018. The only 3-masted schooner in the Maine charter fleet, she is easily recognizable even from a distance. Notice the yawl boat rigged in case she needs to get out of trouble quickly in the winding Thorofare. (She has no inboard engine.)

Alas, the Maine schooner fleet is effectively shut down this year, so it's not likely I will get many photos like this in 2020.

Jim
DSC_7702a.JPG
DSC_7702a.JPG (417 KiB) Viewed 844 times
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Since you guys seem to like Stone Horses, here's one of my mooring neighbor's boat taken a few days ago.

--Jim
DSC_1617.JPG
DSC_1617.JPG (332.32 KiB) Viewed 844 times
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Great photos. Never heard of the Victory Chimes so that's a treat. Very cool. Engineless. That is neat she can have a Coast Guard certification. Look at the flags atop every mast. Timeless.

By all accounts the Stone Horse is a fine sailing boat. This one has a wishbone style club boom for the stays’l. Interesting. I have never seen one on a Stone Horse.

Very nice photos. Every time I have been to Maine, and the Maritimes, (summer) the light is great and colors are crisp.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I find the boom angles on the three masts to be very interesting. Everyone is different and they get progressively tighter as they go forward. I don't know sail trim on these boast but is that intentional?

Maine is a fantastic place to see beautiful and interesting boats, Steve.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Steve Laume wrote:I find the boom angles on the three masts to be very interesting. Everyone is different and they get progressively tighter as they go forward. I don't know sail trim on these boast but is that intentional?

Maine is a fantastic place to see beautiful and interesting boats, Steve.
Good eye. With the wind abaft the beam it may be that each successive sail bends the wind a bit, making each one need to be trimmed
a bit more than the previous one as the wind moves forward.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The gaff cutter Vela sails in Fox Islands Thorofare, August, 2018. You don't see many gaff cutters with a topsail these days. She's listed for sale on Off Center Harbor if you want to see more photos.

--Jim
DSC_6773a.JPG
DSC_6773a.JPG (242.09 KiB) Viewed 825 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:The gaff cutter Vela sails in Fox Islands Thorofare, August, 2018. You don't see many gaff cutters with a topsail these days. She's listed for sale on Off Center Harbor if you want to see more photos.

--Jim
DSC_6773a.JPG

That's a great picture. There is something about the interplay between the light and the water unique to Maine. I have seen a couple videos on OCH featuring Vela as well as Havilah Hawkins. A very neat boat with gorgeous powerful lines. Super simple. With only a few easy mods she'd be perfect for a family boat with kids. I could easily see her globe trotting if the skipper and his family embraced a philosophy where sailing, timeless seamanship, and simplicity were the centerpiece.

Thanks for posting.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

In lieu of a photo, I've got some video. This is from four summers ago. I'm beating upwind in some good-size (for a Typhoon) waves. The schooner Manitou (a 114 foot steel schooner that does day-sail charters in Grand Traverse Bay) makes a picturesque appearance at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts0F6poVdxA
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

The schooner Boyd N. Sheppard off Vinalhaven, July, 2018.

--Jim
DSC_6385a.JPG
DSC_6385a.JPG (309.29 KiB) Viewed 812 times
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Another nice photo. You can just make out the slightest bit of fog/mist on the water. I think a leeward quartering photo almost always brings out the best in a boasts lines. Just a bit of skive in the booms. A little twist at the top of the main and fores’l as is the case for gaffers. Nice view of the jibs.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:Another nice photo. You can just make out the slightest bit of fog/mist on the water. I think a leeward quartering photo almost always brings out the best in a boasts lines. Just a bit of skive in the booms. A little twist at the top of the main and fores’l as is the case for gaffers. Nice view of the jibs.
Yep, I think leeward quarter and windward bow are the best angles.

"Skive"? I don't know that word in this context.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote:Another nice photo. You can just make out the slightest bit of fog/mist on the water. I think a leeward quartering photo almost always brings out the best in a boasts lines. Just a bit of skive in the booms. A little twist at the top of the main and fores’l as is the case for gaffers. Nice view of the jibs.
Yep, I think leeward quarter and windward bow are the best angles.

"Skive"? I don't know that word in this context.
Skive is the upward angle of the boom. You tend to see it more in on older boats with long booms. Keeps the end of the boom out of the water when reaching and running. It can also look lovely with a raked mast. For some good examples take a look at British pilot cutters and the Pride of Baltimore. Or just scroll up and take a look at the picture of Vela.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Perhaps skive is a colloquial term.....when used in a nautical sense.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim Walsh wrote:
Perhaps skive is a colloquial term.....when used in a nautical sense.
Well...uhhh...I don’t know. I have used the term a long time. Don’t know where it came from. It’s possible I got it mixed up with “stive” over the years. But my curiosity is officially peaked. I checked all my traditional sail term sources—Cunliff, Chappell, Skene, etc Nothing on stive or skive. I put a few feelers out with some friends who are traditional sailors. I’ll let you know what I find out.

As my mother used to say, “I might have dreamed it, but I’m not making it up.” LOL.