Trailers and Boats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

MHBsailor

Re: Trailers and Boats

Post by MHBsailor »

Dick I'll have my 22D launched in about a week if you want to go for a spin - 22-foot Daysailer/Weekender 25D "lite" with same 6.5 HP Yanmar 1GM :D . Send me a PM if interested. JD
MHB Sailor
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

You are so correct, Dave, re the H12, but they are way out of my price range, way out. Thanks for the observation, I have marveled at these elegant little boats for decades...
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Dick Kobayashi

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

At the moment I am in the process of buying Sturdee Cat, 14 ft 4 in overall. A catboat with a Marconi rig that was available in nearby Westport. Not as classy looking as the Handy Cat, but less rigging. And it was avail now. Thanks all for the advise. I will keep you posted. I know it will be a completely different experience.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

My two cents: I have a TySenior which originally came on a homemade trailer. There was a learning curve for sure to launching and hauling but at this point I can do it fairly painlessly with just 2 people. The original trailer had an extendable tongue which wasn't quite long enough to keep the vehicle's back wheels out of the salt water but this was solved with a tow strap. That trailer got tender with rust so I replaced it with a Triad last fall. With the long tongue this keeps the vehicle high and dry on the ramp. I've only used it at 2 ramps, but my town's ramp is not steep and it works just fine at high tide.

A Typhoon or TySenior on a trailer would be very manageable for you. Wouldn't need to bother worrying about wheel bearings or brakes if you're just going a few hundred yards. I only drive 4 miles but repack bearings every year and wash brakes down each launch or haul just to be safe.

Good luck!

p.s.--oops, just noticed your last post there about buying a new boat. Guess you're all set. Enjoy!
Dick Kobayashi

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Final Report on SturDee Cat.

This noble experiment to retain access to the water was a failure.

Why? 1) capsized it while on first outing while at the mooring, 2) realized that upper body strength to climb back on board was diminished, 3) developed tendonitis in right arm (kills sailing on port tack), 4) son 1 and son 2 demonstrated no interest over the summer, despite pre-purchase enthusiasm (they have wives and small children).

Sooooo after tormenting myself for some weeks I sold the boat to yet another guy who wants to continue access to the water, pretty much for what I paid for it.

Lesson: not all my brilliant plans are successful.

I plan to stay on the Board; where else can one get such entertainment for $40.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

That's great, Dick - that you're staying with the board. I'm always trying to shanghai people to come sail with me,
so perhaps next year we can exchange pms and share a day sail or two. I live in Dartmouth (aka Hermitville) and the
boat's in New Bedford so you wouldn't have to travel far. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts