Where is the hiddin HIN on a CD27?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where is the hiddin HIN on a CD27?

Post by John Stone »

tjr818 wrote:
kerrydeare wrote:
tjr818 wrote:See this post from Sea Hunt Video for the code:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... &hilit=hin
How does this help the OP to actually FIND the HID? Just askin'.
It wasn't intended to help him FIND it only to INTERPRET the meaning of the numbers. There had been an earlier interpretation, but the did not know the meaning of the M designation.

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

It seems a thoughtful addition to the thread to me Tim. We have gone much further off thread than this. Lots of folks don’t know what the numbers mean so it seems germane to me.

Keep on keeping on Tim.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Atcowboy:

Congratulations on your acquisition of a Cape Dory 27.

I recognize that I am joining this thread late and that you have already taken possession of your CD 27. That said, I have the following thoughts if you are still in need of HIN.

If the person from whom you acquired the CD 27 is the original owner, bill of sale from Cape Dory or their distributor will have the HIN. Finding this document may prove a “challenge”. If your seller was a subsequent owner, subsequent bill(s) of sale should (may) have the HIN.

Insurance companies require a LOT of data on a boat before they will issue insurance. Assuming the prior owner had insurance, the insurance documents should have the HIN.

I do not know about your state’s vessel registration laws. In Florida, even if your sailboat is USCG documented you must still register the boat with the State of Florida, pay a fee, etc. The HIN is (or should be, or may be) on the state registration document(s).

If the prior owner kept the CD 27 at a marina, it is possible the dock master has (had) documentation from the prior owner (copies of insurance, bill of sale, state registration, etc.) that will have HIN.

Good luck. Again, congratulations on acquiring your Cape Dory 27.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
kerrydeare

Post by kerrydeare »

John Stone wrote: ... It seems a thoughtful addition to the thread to me Tim ... it seems germane to me...
I reckon that settles it.