Trailering a CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Re: Trailering a CD 28

Post by mgphl52 »

Seaweed2 wrote:My Dory is a 1975 and I am pretty certain the previous owner didn't replace them. They all appear to be original. I do like the bigger window aft. I am prepared to be embarrassed, but what I have yet to figure out is: how do those chains hanging from the ceiling above each of the smaller ports with a wire at the end relate to each of the smaller windows? I would like to use them to hold open the windows but cannot figure out how that can happen!
There is supposed to be a small rod shaped something like this "____O____" that hangs from the chain and fits between the tabs that are used to latch down the port lights. The chains are usually positioned such that the weight of the light and angle of the chain hold securely.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

This photo shows one in use....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Seaweed2

Post by Seaweed2 »

Oh yes, a picture IS worth a thousand words! You have made a few things perfectly clear to me with your answer and picture. Let's start with the fact that my windows do NOT appear to be the originals. Whoever replaced them chose not to remove the chains to hold the old ones open (which won't work with my windows). Furthermore you helped me to realize that I am not yet completely crazy for being unable to figure out why they would not work. My pictures should help make that clear. Thank you so much to the people on these forums who help me to learn- more about sailing, repairs, and even specific facts about my own personal boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry W
CD 28 Hull #46
Sailing Lake Ontario out of Rochester
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Whoever left those hangers in place had a cruel sense of humor :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time