Roberto, start packing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Roberto, start packing

Post by John Stone »

It’s a tough time to have the boat in the water in the SE. I’m glad the FR is on the hard, though that’s no guarantee of protection. Got my fingers cross for ya Roberto and everyone else in the path.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

John:

Thanks. For better or worse, S/V Bali Ha'i is secured on a trailer on my property. She is on a large, thick concrete slab with four (4) 1" eye bolts screwed into 8" square s/s plates all of which are embedded in 8"-10" of poured concrete. Tomorrow I will install additional compression straps. Fingers crossed. :D

I am still dismayed at the fact that after years of complaining about living in the center of hurricane alley with a bullseye on my forehead here I sit through another hurricane season with yet another storm heading straight for Florida with an as yet undetermined strength. There's dumb and dumber and then there is me. :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Well, Roberto, Florida has a lot of magic...even today all these years after we left. So I understand. But I also know what it feels like in hurricane season. Last year was just nuts.

At least you have a good plan for your boat. Far better than most. Still, it’s stressful. Hang in there. Hopefully this one won’t be too bad. Course that’s what everyone thought about Andrew.

Fingers cross.
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Roberto, if the cone keeps shifting to the north pretty soon you’ll be out of the cone.
Go have a Guinness.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Capt Hook wrote:Roberto, if the cone keeps shifting to the north pretty soon you’ll be out of the cone.
Go have a Guinness.
Or two.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

For those with interests along the Florida coast from Miami to JAX.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

This does not look good for south or mid coast Florida.

I know you have a plan Roberto. But be careful.

ECMF model has proven to be pretty accurate. Looks like more south Fl.
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0

Spaghetti models more mid coast.

Still early to be certain. Lots can happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

And it ain't all that *pretty* for the "Red Neck Riviera" either... but time will tell.
Just hope everyone in harms way is prepped and survives unscathed!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Time to find cover while the roads are still passable. This is not good. Best of luck to all in its path.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

While I agree with you, the question I ask is "find cover WHERE" :?: Because of the way this system has developed with a strong high system to the North and a weak low system to the South of it, which are steering it more North (the low) and then more West (the high), the entire State of Florida is under a de facto hurricane watch/warning as of this post.

I have friends and relatives in the Tampa area, Daytona Beach and Stuart among other locations. These places are all under a hurricane threat. I guess folks could get on I-95 or I-75 and just drive north to Tenn or Charlotte NC or Atlanta, Ga. but ................

A good friend on this board offered his home well north of this storm. It was very,very kind of him (and I will ALWAYS remember that act of kindness) but I am just way too old (the wrong side of 70 and I will say no more about that) for that kind of disruption.

Fortunately, my home is relatively secure with heavy gauge accordion shutters on every door and window. The roof and framing are above what was Miami-Dade code in 1994-1994. The trusses are VERY secure. I have plenty of water, food, and, yes Carl, my beloved Guinness.

My greatest concern is S/V Bali Ha'i. The system I designed and built with large s/s plates buried in poured concrete with eye bolts and compression straps looked good in the design phase. I installed it all today and it does not look so secure. :( Time will tell.

The only thing most folks have that I do not is a generator. I have always been concerned about CO getting into the home. I go without a fan or other cooling system. I do have a pool that I will clean out after Dorian is gone and hopefully be able to sit in it with a cold Guinness.

Fingers crossed. :D :D :D

Tonight I take a break from hurricane prep to watch the Miami Dolphins defeat (yes, Capt. Hook you heard it and read it right :!: ) the NO Saints in their final preseason warm up. GO DOLPHINS :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: GO DOLPHINS :!: :!: :!:
As a native born Floridian, let me repeat that: GO DOLPHINS :!: :!: :!:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Capt Hook

Post by Capt Hook »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Jim:

While I agree with you, the question I ask is "find cover WHERE" :?: Because of the way this system has developed with a strong high system to the North and a weak low system to the South of it, which are steering it more North (the low) and then more West (the high), the entire State of Florida is under a de facto hurricane watch/warning as of this post.

I have friends and relatives in the Tampa area, Daytona Beach and Stuart among other locations. These places are all under a hurricane threat. I guess folks could get on I-95 or I-75 and just drive north to Tenn or Charlotte NC or Atlanta, Ga. but ................

A good friend on this board offered his home well north of this storm. It was very,very kind of him (and I will ALWAYS remember that act of kindness) but I am just way too old (the wrong side of 70 and I will say no more about that) for that kind of disruption.

Fortunately, my home is relatively secure with heavy gauge accordion shutters on every door and window. The roof and framing are above what was Miami-Dade code in 1994-1994. The trusses are VERY secure. I have plenty of water, food, and, yes Carl, my beloved Guinness.

My greatest concern is S/V Bali Ha'i. The system I designed and built with large s/s plates buried in poured concrete with eye bolts and compression straps looked good in the design phase. I installed it all today and it does not look so secure. :( Time will tell.

The only thing most folks have that I do not is a generator. I have always been concerned about CO getting into the home. I go without a fan or other cooling system. I do have a pool that I will clean out after Dorian is gone and hopefully be able to sit in it with a cold Guinness.

Fingers crossed. :D :D :D

Tonight I take a break from hurricane prep to watch the Miami Dolphins defeat (yes, Capt. Hook you heard it and read it right :!: ) the NO Saints in their final preseason warm up. GO DOLPHINS :!: :!: :!:
Roberto,
I’m a ramblin wreck from Ga Tech and we’re playing Clemson tonight in Clemson. It’s not pretty, at least from my viewpoint.
Capt Hook
s/v Kumbaya
Cape Dory 31, Hull No. 73
New Orleans, LA
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Having Hurricane Dorian heading straight for South Florida with potential Cat. 4 sustained winds in excess of 140 mph is, as Jim W. said, not good. It's enough to fully occupy the attention of anyone, especially a Hurricane Andrew survivor.

BUT WAIT; THERE'S MORE :!: :!: :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Someone on another thread was asking about Dorian's anticipated landfall. As reflected in the 1700 hour advisory from NHC/NOAA, Dorian is currently anticipated to make landfall some time on Tuesday, somewhere in the general area of Vero Beach and Melbourne, assuming it maintains current course and speed. Some models suggest Dorian will slow down even further.

There is a high pressure system that was expected to keep pushing Dorian further westward with little northerly movement; thus with a late Sunday or early Monday landfall further south on the Florida coast. That high pressure system has weakened a little and Dorian has gotten stronger. The "cone" has thus moved further north and a little more east. It is possible Dorian might actually skirt the coast for some distance before making landfall. Of course, from my observations over the years most of this meteorology stuff is a bunch of phooey. At best it is guesswork with a little science to support the guesses. Tomorrow morning NOAA/NHC could be telling us Dorian is going to make landfall in Key West. :D :wink:

As reflected in Advisory 26, the eye wall has gotten larger and the area of hurricane force winds has thus increased. Wherever Dorian goes it is going to cause a significant amount of destruction from wind and from flooding. Best wishes to all in its path - including me :!: :( :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Roberto
You might side step out of this yet.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... s=0&ypos=0

Of course now we might have a close encounter I’d prefer to avoid. Will have to just wait and see what develops. We bought 12 gallons of non ethanol gas for the Honda generator today. Just in case.