ethanol-free fuel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

Re: ethanol-free fuel

Post by Megunticook »

Capt. Fritter wrote:Or do like me and get rid of the infernal combustion engine completely.
I have my eye on a battery-powered electric motor, no question that is the best solution. If I had $2400 bucks to spend on one I'd order it tomorrow. Hopefully down the road I can go that route.

At least in a typical season a 5g can lasts me all year, I bet a lot of powerboats burn that in a weekend.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

My brother loves his Torqueedo. I used it recently on the dinghy and I must admit, it is the way of the future. In fact, I just turned down a 2 stroke to keep rowing. Thinking electrics will only come down in cost. They are becoming really practical if you can just be OK with going slower.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Admittedly, I do not know a lot about this stuff but when I had a Suzuki 6 hp/4 stroke I had all kinds of problems with gumming up the carb, the fuel lines, etc. The ethanol literally eats away at the rubber fuel line of the Suzuki and peeled away "gunk" from the inside wall of the gas tank :!: Yikes :!: :!: I then cleaned out everything and started using ethanol FREE gas I got at a local marina. It cost a little more than regular 10 ethanol gas (about $.90 cents more) but it solved the problem. Getting the ethanol free gas was easy.

The suggestion about turning off the gas line and running the engine dry is a good suggestion regardless of fuel being used.

I recently posted a website on this thread that has a list of gas stations, marinas, etc. that sell ethanol free gas. I am confident most of us live near one of these locations. The list is current as of 01 July 2019. They have a gas station listed in Miami that just opened 2 weeks ago.

I am wondering why folks are talking about trying to get aviation fuel, 100LL AV gas, Tru-Mix, etc. I am sure they are all very good fuels but simple ethanol free gas works well in most, if not all, O/Bs and is a lot less than $21/gallon (doubles yikes :!: :!: :!: :!: ) for aviation type fuel.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I am wondering why folks are talking about trying to get aviation fuel, 100LL AV gas, Tru-Mix, etc. I am sure they are all very good fuels but simple ethanol free gas works well in most, if not all, O/Bs and is a lot less than $21/gallon (doubles yikes :!: :!: :!: :!: ) for aviation type fuel.
I got avgas because I couldn't find any ethanol-free regular gas in my area (although since then I found a marina not too far away that sells it). The avgas was $5.50/gal., sounds like the ethanol-free stuff from the marina is $4.75/gal. If I'd known about the marina I would've just gone that route in the first place.

The https://www.pure-gas.org website is a great resource.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Ever since switching to ValveTech ethanol free marine gas I have had zero problems with my 4 hp Mercury. It comes out of the pump with stabilizers, no need to add anything. Also stopped using an external tank, using only the internal tank. Using a small 2 gal can keeps the foes fresh.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Paul D. wrote:My brother loves his Torqueedo. I used it recently on the dinghy and I must admit, it is the way of the future. In fact, I just turned down a 2 stroke to keep rowing. Thinking electrics will only come down in cost. They are becoming really practical if you can just be OK with going slower.
I've cruised with my Torqeedo for three or more years. I row when I can, limit speed, and have not had a problem. No gasoline on board is a big plus. Also, the motor can be loaded into the dinghy separately from the battery, which divides the weight. Cruising, I'm motoring about half the time, which gives me a chance to plug in the battery for a recharge. It's not the motor for zipping around, but it's proved reliable at speeds significantly faster than I can row, particularly to windward.

I found mine on Craigslist, for about half the retail price.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
MHBsailor

Post by MHBsailor »

I discussed many of these issues and considerations in my post here http://capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php ... rd#p202671. My regional distributor said that the Sunoco racing fuel Optima (https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/) is formulated for small engines) is a lot more cost-effective ($85 for a 5-gal pail in my area vs. True Fuel etc. from the big box store which is much more expensive on a unit basis. I know folks at my former yacht club that swore by (not at) it for their dinghy outboard. I have no business relationship with Sunoco.
MHB Sailor
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I’m confused. Is all this talk about $21 a gallon true fuel and aviation gas and Sunoco racing fuel for your outboards because you can’t get non ethanol gas?

Where the heck do y’all live where you can’t get non ethanol gas?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I found this on line. A data base all the states (to include places in Canada) with gas stations listing the towns/cities to include addresses and phone numbers selling non ethanol gas. Apparently there is even an app for it.

https://www.pure-gas.org