Cleaning interior teak slats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

csoule13

Re: Cleaning interior teak slats

Post by csoule13 »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:The white “miracle sponges” will do very well in taking off the black mildew and oxidation on bare interior teak. I was shocked at how well they addressed grime on the cabintop too.

Buy a big box at Costco and a 6 pack of Pacifico. Your day is set.
It's like you threw out the Roberto signal here.
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

I did this some years ago. The slats are ash, I'm sure. Removed and numbered them. Oxalic acid took out some of the water stains, but fairly aggressive sanding was needed in places. Wiped on a light oak stain, followed by four coats of "Minwax Wipe-On Poly" oil-base satin (brushed on, then wiped, all surfaces to seal the slats). Fairly fast and easy once you're set up. Excellent results: looks like hand-rubbed, oiled finish but more durable and doesn't show imperfections to the degree that a gloss varnish would. Indeed, wish I had followed Steve Laume's advice and replaced those finicky (and unattractive) slotted screws with brass phillips.

Before putting Arabella away for the winter this year, I and a helper replaced all the engine mounts under the 1GM, and replaced the cutlass bearing, the prop-shaft (2 ft x 1 in, bronze like the original), replaced rubber connecting tube, and cleaned and repacked that beautiful Spartan stuffing box. Kept the original 2-blade prop (pushes just fine). Other regular maintenance was performed as well (lube oil changes, impeller, alternator belt). OK - actually, the "helper" did almost all the work (squeezed into the bottom of the cockpit locker), while I conveyed tools, coffee, and words of encouragement.

BTW: New shaft (beautifully made), bearing, and connecting tube all from Scandia Propeller Service, Fairhaven, MA. Nice people and reasonably priced.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
appletim1

Post by appletim1 »

Did the same job on my CD 22. Had to number them as they were removed and used Epifanes Wood Finish Matte. Had to get a angled screwdriver from Harbor Freight to replace some of the screws in the really tight spaces. Pleased with the results.