New Typhoon Owner - Lake Champlain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Re: New Typhoon Owner - Lake Champlain

Post by mgphl52 »

Very clever! However, "slope" is just half the problem. You also need to know how long/deep the ramp is and what's at end-of-ramp.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

As of Aug 2 the lake level was 94.5 feet - very rarely does it go below 04 feet. Be careful not to wait too long before retrieving your Ty or you will have to pay to have it hoisted back onto your trailer. I modified my trailer to have bunks instead of jack stands to reduce the water depth as much as possibly so I could launch or recover without a tongue extension. I now use a ramp on Lake George and in the fall it gets dicey but manageable. Lake George water fluctuates +/- 6 inches whereas Lake Champlain fluctuates +/- 6 feet.
Peter Young
Location: Typhoon Weekender, Indefatigable, Burlington VT (Hull #203)

Post by Peter Young »

Thanks, Dick. I've been keeping a close eye on the water level in Lake Champlain and its a bit discouraging so early in the summer. I will be moving to a more permanent mooring shortly rather than trailering so much, but it would be nice to have the confidence in a good long steep ramp to avoid just that risk when retrieving.

Converse Bay has a confirmed 15% slope when it was reconstructed by the State but has a sandbar just off the end of the ramp that will soon be a bit more trouble with dropping water levels

Mallet's Bay Ramp was designed with a 9% slope for the first 80 feet and 16.5% thereafter, which is great when water level is low in late summer especially.

Have you tried the ramp up at Burton Island?

-Peter