Car battery charger for marine batteries

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

Re: Car battery charger for marine batteries

Post by Maine Sail »

Again what brand of batteries are we talking about? They will have an optimal absorption and float voltage.

Just because a charger says AGM does NOT make it good for your AGM batteries. The Charles chargers were mentioned and I don't know a single AGM battery that will be charged in a healthy manner at 14.2V. If you are trying to charge Odyssey or Northstar AGM's with a Charles set at 14.2V you can literally cut your cycle life in half by not using a charger that has the correct voltage settings.

The best bet is always a charger that offers a custom configurable voltage profile. Two of the most popular would be the Sterling Pro-Charge Ultra or the ProMariner Pronautic P..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I think there may be a misunderstanding of what I am looking for in a "battery charger".

What I would like to do, if possible (and to save money) is to use a battery charger - the kind you plug into a wall outlet in the garage and hook up the alligator clips to your "dead" battery and it converts 120v to 12v - to charge my two AGM batteries.

I know they make a lot differently priced car battery chargers. Can I use one of them to one time charge the two dead AGM batteries or do I need to purchase a "special" marine battery charger made specifically for marine and/or AGM batteries :?: From several prior posts I think the answer is "yes" I can use a car battery charger but I am not sure.

Sorry for the confusion. :( It is difficult for me many times to explain what I am asking about because I do not understand the correct terminology.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

For example, can I use something like the Optima Digital 400 to charge my two (2) AGM batteries :?:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/battery-charger
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Roberto,
If you to start the engine or to run any electric are talking about charging your batteries for a couple of hours so that you have usable batteries or run any of the boat electrical equipment, in my opinion, you can use any charger at your disposal. If you want to leave a charger hooked up to maintain your AGM batteries you then would want a real AGM charger that meets MainSail's recommendations. If it was me, I would go buy a charger that you might later use to charge your car battery, something that you would keep in the garage for "emergencies". For later continued use on the boat I would buy a Promariner, as MainSail has suggested, that Is what we have on Slainte.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Roberto,
I used to store my lead-acid batteries in my boat, which is in the side yard of my house. Every month or so I would climb under the cover with a heavy-duty extension cord and my West Marine 15-amp Smart Battery Charger. I'd charge each battery separately. In cold weather, I might have to charge the batteries overnight, but in fall and early spring each battery would charge in a few hours.

This little item has settings for deep-cycle, AGM and standard automotive batteries.

Since I presume you're still living in Florida, your batteries would charge in less time than mine, assuming you could plug them in between hurricanes.

I don't remember how much the charger cost, but I bought it on sale, and it wasn't that expensive. For the last three years, I've had the boatyard store my batteries and charge them, as the batteries grew heavier every year. :)

Good Luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Joe M.:

Thanks very much. I think that is what I am looking for. I will check with WM tomorrow :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

It looks like Kyocera's smallest offering is now a 265W panel. Who is / are the preferred 100-200W budget / marine quality panel manufacturers now?
Thanks
Matt