Dismasting a CD30c

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

zekmeister

Re: Dismasting a CD30c

Post by zekmeister »

Appreciate the concern. This like most everything in my life is a personal journey of learning and discovering. I would want to know how to do this as she will be my companion for a very long time and knowing every detail about her is a must if I want to have success as her captain.

But I'm doing my due diligence so that I don't cause any damage to her. That would absolutely break my heart.

But your thoughts and concerns are highly appreciated.

I will be posting pictures.
steveg wrote:It would be my strong recommendation for you to hire someone who knows what they are doing. Please do not take this the wrong way, from the sounds of your questions you do not have a clue of what is involved. If my assumption was correct and you do it yourself and have any accident you will likely save money be paying someone to do it who is knowledgeable. In other words the damage that results from a mistake will exceed the amount you saved by doing it yourself. A decent rigger should not need more than a couple of hours to get it down. You can observe and see how it is done for future reference.

Good luck however you choose to handle it.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

This is how she sits now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marine related only online classified ads web site that offers added exposure to your products or services for free. http://www.marineworldclassifieds.net
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

You are getting some very blunt answers because what you are intending is hazardous.

The mast is about 100 lbs with winches, spreaders, and standing rigging. Without a crane and actual experience, you are nearly certain to end up with a smashed boat and tangle of metal with a CD30 mast.

Do with yourself as you wish- if you ask anyone to help, you must first tell them that a dozen experienced CD owners have cautioned to not unstep the mast alone, and IMO, injury is a certainty. Don't make a gin pole A-frame on the deck, don't pull under a bridge, don't tie up next to a seawall at low tide. (I see it's on a trailer) Most of these were done years ago out of sheer need, and the stories about it being possible circulate endlessly on the internet.

Want to know your boat intimately? Clean the bilge. Crawl into the seat lockers and inspect the stuffing box hose. Take the seacocks apart. (when out of the water) Hell, do it in the water. It will teach you fast hands.

Being able to prep the rig for dropping can wait a year. BTW, your VHF cable is likely inside the mast, and you have to pick it up a foot or so to get the cable out and unscrewed from the F-F Coax junction. You need a way to park the mast in the air and idly twiddle a coax connector. Steaming and deck lights may also be there, or run to a through deck connector outside the mast.

Spend $100 for a rigger to explain how to tune the mast, what happens when you loosen the backstay and tighten the forestay, and how to service turnbuckles.
Check CL for crane services, call tree trimmers for truck cranes, there are a dozen ways to get a cheap hoist. Hire the rigger to handle the disconnection and process.

I honestly can't tell if you are deliberately trolling or in contention for a Dunning-Kruger medal.

Also, two thirds of your boat weight is bearing on the front pads of the trailer. Get a crossbeam under the keel where it just starts turning up towards the bow.
zekmeister

Post by zekmeister »

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.