"Leoma" 30 K underway..

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Re: "Leoma" 30 K underway..

Post by JD-MDR »

Ben Thomas wrote:You may want to check the bilge pump hose. it needs to be looped up as high as it can near the center line before it exits through the thru hull. when motoring the stern squats, when that happens the bilge hose outlet may be under the water line. If so, it could be syphoning back into the bilge. When you slow down stern lifts, thru hull is again above water line. flooding stops.
Cheers, Ben
I thought I had fixed this problem . I've been in some weather and everything was fine. Last weekend the water started coming in again. I was motor sailing and going pretty fast. I lifted the bilge pump and can see it is definatley siphoning back in. I looped the hose as high as possible . . I just decided to put a check valve in. I know some don't like the idea of it getting clogged. I'll just have to clean the system often. Also I replaced my manual pump . I know on fishing boats it was a big problem getting bones, guts and skin particles clogging the pump also cigarette butts. But this is a yacht and the bilge is pretty clean.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Just wondering. If anyone is still reading this . Why is the outlet thru hull for the bilge so low? It is under the stern just above the waterline. and I wonder why is it 3/4" plastic. The manual bilge outlet is also plastic 1-1/4". It's higher on the transom.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

J.D. - you're right, the check valve is not the best solution. Although it's a bit of work, you might plan for
raising that outlet to the same level as the manual bilge pump exit. The fiberglass and gelcoat work patching
the old outlet is not hard - just time consuming. I think that would eliminate the problem.
An alternative might be to install a shutoff valve in the exit line and only open that valve when you're pumping.
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

JD, check valves are prone to both plugging and jamming in the open position.
Did you try a siphon break at the top of the loop?

JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Hilbert. I'll try the vented loop. I was too cheap last week and only bought the check valve (Stupid). Yea, I'm a little worried. That little 3/4" fitting will clog easy.. Here is a photo of my new sails. Canvass is ordered as well as splash guards for the cockpit
Attachments
P_20180518_103509.jpg
P_20180518_103509.jpg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 150 times
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

JD-MDR wrote:. Here is a photo of my new sails. Canvass is ordered as well as splash guards for the cockpit
Nothing beats "crispy" sails :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time